Roof leak around AC Unit (I think)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvpete

Good Morning,
We are new to RVing and on our first trip, currently in Florida.  Last night, after about 24 hours of rain, I noticed a drip coming from the cover of one of the florescent light fixtures.  We had been running the AC units as the humidity had climbed significantly in the coach. 

Does anyone know if this leak could be from the water produced by the AC unit?  I am sure it could be from the rain that has fallen as well.  Any ideas how to fix such a thing?
thanks,
Pete

Where it happened when it rained, I'm thinking it could be the gasket between the AC and the roof. What I would do is remove the cover on the inside of the RV. Then you should see 4 long bolts which go up into the top half of the AC. Tighten those bolts just a little maybe 1 or 2 turns. Do not over tighten. The gasket is only a piece of foam type material so it won't take much to compress it enough to stop the leak if that's where your leak is coming from.

It could be at the gasket under the roof a/c, but it "could be" almost anywhere. A/c gaskets are far from the most common source of roof leaks, even though its a popular suspicion among RVers. Since the leaks occurred after a lot of rain, I see no particular reason to suspect the a/c gasket more than any other possibility. Caulking around the edges and other roof openings (skylights, antennas, vents, etc) are as much or more likely than the a/c gasket. Once water penetrates the roof, it runs along the ceiling until it finds a place to drip through.  Could well be many feet from the source.

That said, you may have a loose upper a/c unit. If you remove the inside intake cover and look up, you should see a long bolt in each corner of the 14x14 roof opening. These are the clamping bolts that pull the upper unit down onto the roof and gasket. Try tightening them up a few turns, until they are somewhat snug. Do not overtighten - just gentle pressure.

Thank you for that information.  It sounds like a roof leak in here is just the same as in a house.  It could get in and run!  The A/C is ducted so there are no visible interior covers.  I will check for cracks up top though.  I did that before we left and touched up some potential areas.  I'll check again.

Thank you,
Pete

Your ducted system WILL have the covers but they are the return air covers,, a screw in each corner and it can be removed to find the bolts.>>>Dan

Spent more than $500 having AC gaskets replaced.  Roof still leaks.  Have tightened the 4 bolts.  Roof still leaks.  Also leaks through a 110 receptacle, adjacent to the front AC.  So likely a connection.  Just can't find source.  It's a fiberglass roof and with seams where the roof meets the front and rear caps.  I covered the seams with a tape product I picked up from Camping World last year.  (not decor).  Still leaks.  The leaks are more a nuisance than a real problem and the wife is more concerned than me.  But as they say, if the mommy isn't happy. 

Hmmmm!  Not sure what to think now.  The night before last was a rainy and windy night.  I put a pan down with a paper towel in it when we went to bed.  It was dry in the morning.  When it was leaking, we were running the A/C.  We were not running that the other night so that may have something to do with it.  I'll have to explore it though.  I don't want mold to grow!

WV Pete's Dutch Star may have ducted returns as well, but there will still be a way to access the underside of the a/c itself. Probably have to remove some ceiling trim, though.

I have been looking at that ceiling and wondering how to remove it without ruining anything.  I have a ton of stuff to learn! 

A call to Newmar Customer Service might get you some answers. There is also a good Newmar Owners Group on Yahoo where owners help each other out.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/get-answers/

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NEWMAROWNERS/info

Back
Top Bottom