Checking batteries in winter storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

stephenm

Morning,

Unfortunately I was unable to remove my house batteries for winter storage. I did make sure they were fully charged and disconnected as there is no access to power for a trickle charger. It is stored in an unheated unit in Michigan.

I will be going to the storage unit soon to check on the rig, is it worth connecting the batteries and checking the charge state with my trimetric?

Thanks,

Irover said:
Why not leave them disconnected and check them with a volt/ohm meter, they are cheap and will show you the voltage. If a 6 volt battery is under 5 volts then hook them up and charge!

Good idea except I would recommend not letting them get to 5 volts. A 100% SOC on a 6 volt battery is actually 6.37 volts. General recommendations are to recharge at no less than 50% SOC, which for a 6 volt battery is 6.05 volts. Recharge at 80% (6.25 volts) is better.

Also, in Michigan, freezing of electrolyte is a consideration. The following chart shows that a completely dead battery would freeze at 20F. Even at 50% SOC they will freeze at -10F.

You might find this article interesting.

Attachments

• Battery state of charge chart.jpg
    Battery state of charge chart.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Electrolyte Freeze Points.jpg
    Electrolyte Freeze Points.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 11
Thanks both,

Good idea checking with a meter.

If they need charging I will ask the storage folk can I run
an extension cord to hook up a charger temporarily. I know they normally do not offer such a service. If not I am not sure what I can do.

They will need charging - count on it. If not this time, certainly the next. Batteries self-discharge in moist air. And remaining at any significant discharge state for very long will substantially reduce the life of the battery.

Thanks Gary,

What kind of charger would you recommend to use?

stephenm said:
Unfortunately I was unable to remove my house batteries for winter storage.

Were you physically unable to remove them or did you just not have the time when you stored it? I ask because my choice if possible would be to remove them and store them at home in a more favorable environment such as a basement. They will still lose some charge but not as quickly as being out in the cold.

Good question.

The battery tray is under the entrance steps and they will not come out that way. I would of had to drop them from the chassis.

I will be going to the storage tomorrow.

As it is stored in a massive barn with double doors
I have asked is it it's OK to open both doors and run the generator if the batteries need charging. They said they think it would be OK for 30-40 minutes.

Do folks think this is a good or bad idea? Should I just leave the batteries until April and not bother running the generator.

If I do run the genetaror should I run some electrics to place a load on the generator?

If I do run the genetaror should I run some electrics to place a load on the generator?

YES!!! the load is necessary to drive any moisture out of the generator windings, not so much for the engine itself. Note that if the batteries are down a fair bit, the 30-40 minutes charge is a waste of time. It takes a LONG time to charge batteries fully.

Ah, that makes sense on the load.

I will ask can I plug in via my 30amp cable for the day as have a 15amp dog bone. If not how long would I need to run the generator for.

I could always bring my house generator and fire it up outside the barn.

I spoke to the facility again, they said that non of their customers come to check rv's during the winter.

Maybe I am over cautious.

I don't think you're too cautious but I've been driving the guy that owns the facility where mine is stored crazy with multiple trips to check on things so maybe I'm not a good judge of this.

Mine is outside in MI.
I have it hooked to a 20amp shore power which charge the house batteries.
Then I put a Battery Tender on the Chassis batteries.

I plan on about 6 weeks on and 1-2 weeks off.
Part of that is because it's outside.

IF there is no power in the storage unit - how far is it to someplace that does.
IF it were only a 100-200 feet - a long extension cord(s) and a Battery Tender for a few days should
bring them up to full charge.  Even if you paid them a few dollars it would be better then dead batteries, right?
Just trying to help.

I appreciate the help.

Unfortunately the storage does not offer power at all. If I remove the coach from storage I am not left back in.

Back
Top Bottom