Grand Teton Campground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gumbolady

Looking for recommendation for full hookup Campground in Grand Teton, Jackson Hole area...spending 5 days in Mid May then on to Yellowstone. 

My recommendation would be the Colter Bay campground. It is centrally located in the park and close to the very interesting visitors center, Jackson Lake, Jackson Lake Lodge, and the highlight of the park, Oxbow Bend. Every night near sunset Oxbow turns into a zoo without bars because it is the only convenient watering hole for miles. Since it is an oxbow the water moves very slowly compared to the rest of the Snake River. There are a few beavers that are a blast to watch. There is also elk, pelicans, moose, bears, wolves, river otters, bald eagles, and tourists hanging around. Get there by 6pm to insure a good parking spot.

Attachments

• Tom 2008-27 (1).jpg
    Tom 2008-27 (1).jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 37
Might want to check and see when south entrance of Yellowstone opens??

So reservations are not taken for Colter Bay, first come, first served.  So what do you do, just show up and wait until someone leaves?  Is this done in an orderly fashion?  Do you get in line and wait your turn?  Is there a length limit?

clockdrfla said:
So reservations are not taken for Colter Bay, first come, first served.  So what do you do, just show up and wait until someone leaves?  Is this done in an orderly fashion?  Do you get in line and wait your turn?  Is there a length limit?
I have never seen Colter Bay more than half full. I doubt there is a length limit. Many of the spaces are pull though and huge.

The Colter Bay Village Campground offers RV Spaces on a first come first served basis. Campsites include 175 RV spots which can accommodate up to 45 ft length motor homes or trailers.  The Campgrounds offers 13 electric, and ADA-accessible hookups.  All sites have picnic tables, fire rings,and bear boxes are available for most sites. We have 22 restrooms with running water and flush toilets. Showers are available for an additional fee at the Colter Bay Village Launderette.

Showers were like $3.50 last time I was there five years ago.

One time when we got to Colter Bay CG we got the last space in the CG. It was early afternoon, but some days it didn't fill.

I would call the campground and ask about filling, I think all the campgrounds have been filling these years... especially if you want hookups as there are very few that even offer that. I know my son was there last year and just looking for a tent spot and took the last spot!

The Key is to get there early in the am and get a spot early!

enjoy! Love the Tetons!

clockdrfla said:

There are TWO Colter Bay CG's.  One is the NPS CG which, I believe, has no hookups.  The other is run by the concessionaire and has full hookups.  The full hookup part DOES take reservations and is usually quite full.  The OP specifically asked about full hookup CG's, so I don't think the information about the NPS portion of Colter Bay will be what he was looking for.

Two years ago we stayed at Colter Bay and I highly recommend it especially since you want full hook-ups.  We were able to make reservations in advance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom