House Type HD antenna on MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbertalotto

I hate having to hand turn the Bat Wing antenna on my camper. The crank is in the bedroom and the TV is in the living area.....can't see TV while turning antenna.

Has anyone installed one of these house type antennas on the batwing mount.

Looks like the remote rotator is powered by a wall wart...Hopefully 12V

From the location of the TV you could remotely rotate the antenna....NICE

Anyone done this?

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126/ref=sr_1_1?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1483731395&sr=1-1&keywords=outdoor+tv+antenna&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6025772011

718ZdKlDLFL._SL1500_.jpg

The antenna on our 5er does not need to be rotated. It looks like the one in this link. Maybe this is an option for you?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/antennas/t-v-antennas-winegard-roadstar/22-1133.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshopping&utm_campaign=partsfeed&jt=1&jap=1o6&js=1&jsid=36859&jcpid=8a8ae4cd48005458014820e2e0170ec4&jkId=gcp:se_36859:pp_61558550217:ag_15211804824:cp_194253624:n_g:d_c:cr_52737673584&gclid=CKqR1POmrtECFYtMDQodE8kGag

Thanks, I looked at a few of the omni directional antennas like you posted, but my understanding is they don't have the reception of a true directional antenna. The price is so inexpensive I might just buy one and see if I can adapt it to the Winegard mechanism.

First... Directional antennas RULE, omni (do not need rotation) Suck, in every way but one,. They are not that good at sucking in a signal.. Where I'm parked they are useless.

Now, the one liked to in the original post..Looks like a good antenna but do not know how well it would stand up going down the road.  The Winegard Batwing is designed with many things in mind, including low hanging branches.. Even then I've had mine damaged..

This one would be wiped out by a LHB, or a Low bridge.

But I liked the 150 Mile range estimate.. That is good.  Batwing is only about half that.

(Of course you can put the thing on top of a flag pole (I have a link for an excellent pole designed for just that) and take it down and stow it while moving)

Also, depending on where the switch is... On my coach the main TV is up front, the switch box is up front (the original Matrix type box of many buttons) the Crank is over the passanger seat and the Sensar PRO I added.. Also right there.. Now with a Sensar Pro you have two options for peaking

1: (Which I use) read the digital display.. You can either let it pick the strongest carrier and then peak it, or you can ask your TV to translate teh on-screen to a carrier channel (They are often different) then set the carrier channel on the Sensar Pro and peak it

And if you can't see the thing.. Turn up the VOLUME and listen to the annoying beeps.  Turn for loudest beep.

And there it goes.

rbertalotto said:
I hate having to hand turn the Bat Wing antenna on my camper. The crank is in the bedroom and the TV is in the living area.....can't see TV while turning antenna.

Has anyone installed one of these house type antennas on the batwing mount.

Looks like the remote rotator is powered by a wall wart...Hopefully 12V

From the location of the TV you could remotely rotate the antenna....NICE

Anyone done this?

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126/ref=sr_1_1?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1483731395&sr=1-1&keywords=outdoor+tv+antenna&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6025772011

718ZdKlDLFL._SL1500_.jpg
Yes, I have this antenna on my TT, which came without an antenna. I mounted a length of PVC pipe on my tongue jack, and I insert a collapsible Paint roller extension for a mast. It works quite well, but is not as convenient as cranking up an antenna on the roof. I don't know how you would mount one on a MH, unless you attached it to the roof ladder. Hope you find a solution to your viewing concerns.

The only real concern with a residential type antenna rotor is getting power to the rotor mount. Typically they have a remote control box that plugs to 120v and a power wire bundle to the rotor to drive it.

This would probably work for you. Winegard's Rayzor Automatic is an auto-tuned directional antenna. You push a button and it seeks out the available broadcast stations and tunes to them. If you don't like that set, you can have it pick a second tier (lower strength) set as well.
http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto

The antenna I posted uses a "wall wart" power converter. I'm hoping it converts to 12v so it can run off campers batteries. The power to the rotator motor runs through the coax signal wire. This will make hook up very easy.

I ordered one. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but 15" of snow stopped UPS in its tracks....

Please understand that there is NO WAY you will ever receive 150 mile range from a TV antenna for digital signals. So everything else they claim should be suspect. The maximum we have ever received was 60 miles over fairly flat terrain. 20 to 30 miles with a good antenna and a booster is probably close to the norm. A number of independent comparisons have been done between the batwing and other antennas including the high end omnidirectional. The batwing won hands down over and over. Add the Winegard Sensar Pro and you can use the audible option in the sensor and "hear" the signal strength no matter where you are in the coach. Chuck

So...UPS works on Sunday! They just delivered my antenna as noted above.

I have no idea how they can makes something like this, package it, ship it, wholesale and retail all the way to Massachusetts and deliver it on Sunday for $35!!!

The quality is rather good. Very high torque motor that auto reverses if you go to far. Very smooth operation.

The power supply said 15-18V so I ried hooking it up to a battery and nothing......I checked the voltage on the power supply and got nothing. Then it dawned on me....It said 15-18V "AC"...The powersupply is AC..UGH! that means I'll need to use a small inverter to boondock. I have a 100w inverter in my junk box that I hooked up and it works fine with that.

We now have 17" of snow on the roof of the trailer so testing against the Bat Wing will need to wait. In the meantime I'm testing it against a RCA set top amplified HD antenna that I use in my second floor office. Works great as I get about 20 channels from Boston (53 miles away) and Providence RI (35 miles away). BTW...On the Batwing on the trailer in my yards I get 32 channels from the same cities.

Stay tuned for a complete review for either a BatWing replacement of simply if you want to "Cut The Cord" at home......

Findings will be posted on my web site www.rvbprecision.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom