A question for non full timers, overall vehicle budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

stephenm

Hi all,

I have a question for non full timers.

Since purchasing a motorhome do you purchase cheaper daily drivers or upgrade them less often? Or do you just do the same as before you had a motorhome.

Thanks,

The trailer, tow vehicle and their associated costs are paid from our vacation budget, so they don't impact our daily drivers.
But we tend to keep our dds for ten years or more anyway.

Motorhome was it's own budget.
Only consideration was making sure we were buying one car that could be flat towed. 
Wound up getting a dolly for it anyway and now we hardly ever take the car as we'd rather take our motorcycles in the trailer.

Our motorhome always had its own budget, but obviously the funds for that budget had to come from somewhere and thus impacted other discretionary spending. How much and where that impact occurs depends on your personal situation and preferences.  Even if you take the RV funds from savings, it's still money you might have used for something else, e.g. a newer or more elegant daily driver.  Or new furniture or a yacht or a vacation in Australia... We all make tradeoffs in our lives.

We kept one of our vehicles much longer than we typically do because of its 4-down towability. The other vehicles we were interested in were not towable without high cost mods and we did not feel it was worth it. Gnerally, though, having the motorhome did not alter our car buying habits much at all.

Thanks for the reply Gary.

I like the idea of having one of our cars towable but my wife is dead set against the idea,

I like the idea of having one of our cars towable but my wife is dead set against the idea,

Why is she against it????

I buy used. Keep a decent maintenance schedule. When I'm done with a vehicle, it's ready for the scrap yard. Haven't bought too many during my life. The ones I get seem to last forever.

When I have more than one, each is judged for it's own expenses. The cost of the RV does not change how I value the car or the motorcycle.

wackymac said:

Why is she against it????

Hi,

She thinks it will be unmanageable for me to drive a 35ft Mh and a toad.

stephenm said:
Hi,

Driving isn't the problem. Plenty of room on the roads.

Now, parking... can get tricky. Finding enough room in a parking lot gets interesting. ;)

stephenm said:
Hi,

I don't understand the issue with parking lots. If you have a toad, take to toad to the store.

The ONLY time I have ever found the toad to be an issue is the rare occasion where I needed to back up. I think this has been three times in 22 years and 235,000 miles of driving. That said, in day to day driving the issue is making sure you don't put yourself in a position where you need to back up.

The only other place you may have to plan for our gas stations to make sure you have enough room to get out. I drive a diesel rig and I use the truck pumps. When I do have to use a regular station to buy diesel I look at Google Earth to make sure I won't have any issues. Stations where the pumps are parallel to the road are usually easy.

Other than that the toad just follows you. No issues on turns. Makes Motorhome travel much more enjoyable to get to a destination and be able to hop in the toad and go visit the local sights, go to the store etc. FAR easier to take the toad to the store than maneuvering a 35 plus motorhome in a parking lot.

ken

Whenever I am driving on the Interstates I notice the class As going in the opposite direction. It is about one in twenty that is not towing a vehicle so I imagine it can't be all that hard.

It is indeed the parking that bothers her the most.

Also she wants to walk or cycle when we get to a camp ground :)

"Take the toad to the store" assumes you are already in the campground.

I have a lot more restrictions on where I can stop on the way to the campground when I have the Beetle behind me. With just the motorcycle on the rack I fit in as little as two parking spaces, and can back up without worries. The toad requires me to think about where I'm stopping, and how I'm going to get back out on the road.

Still, I would rather have the Beetle with me than not.

Our tt+tv length just touches 50 feet, about that of a 35' mh with a small toad. Stopping while enroute does require a little extra care, but not much. Now, if I wanted to park close to the WalMart's doors I'd have trouble, but there's always plenty of room to park across marked spaces in the more distant areas of the lot. Besides, after an hour or so behind the wheel, walking that extra hundred yards feels pretty great.
The trickiest part is swinging turns wide enough to avoid clipping the curbs and trees. Newer shopping center lots have a lot more planters and tighter clearances than the asphalt oceans of older centers.

My husband and I share the driving of our 40-foot motorhome pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I don't understand why she thinks it will be unmanageable for YOU to drive a smaller combination.  Maybe SHE would find it unmanageable which is too bad.  Goodness, a lot of us here on the RV Forum drive large motorhomes and pull cars so I really don't understand her issue with it.  Personally I love driving ours and would do all the driving except my husband wants to drive too.  ;) ;D

It is indeed the parking that bothers her the most.

Parking is more of a problem without a toad because you have to drive the motorhome everywhere.  For example, say you're at a place like Bryce Canyon which, in addition to wonderful hiking trails, also has an 18-mile (one way) scenic rim drive which is beautiful.  But pulling a car into the scenic view parking areas is a whole lot easier than trying to park with a motorhome, especially on a crowded day!  Many of our national parks are old and there isn't much space in scenic parking areas for our new wider and longer RVs.  There also are inconsiderate people driving cars who park in RV spaces which means the RVers might miss stopping at that scenic view.

Also she wants to walk or cycle when we get to a camp ground :)

This sounds good but it's not always reasonable to achieve.  For example, that 36-mile round-trip scenic drive at Bryce is a two-lane road and not really a bicycling road.  Not to mention it's elevation varies between about 7,000 feet up to 9,100 feet.  How are you both at riding bicycles at high altitude?  Even the Bryce campgrounds are around 7,000 feet and people with breathing problems can't visit there comfortably.  When you're within most of the campgrounds, walking and bicycling is a good thing to do, but you're not always in the campground.  In addition to sightseeing, you might want to go out to dinner, go grocery shopping, go to a beauty shop, go to a Laundromat, or - worse case scenario (been there, done that) - have an accident that requires emergency care, surgery, physical therapy and many doctor appointments.  You'll definitely see more and do more things WITH a car than you would do WITHOUT a car!

We've been RVing for many years.  We started out with smaller Class Cs and were fortunate to be able to travel for extended periods of time.  At first we always drove the motorhome when we wanted to go sightseeing, etc.  Eventually it got to be a drag to constantly hook and unhook just to go out to dinner or go grocery shopping.  Yes, we tried to plan to do things efficientl,y but it didn't always work out.  We got our first toad (a cute Geo Tracker) when we had our 30-foot Class C and that's when we revisited places we had been to previously and saw how much we had missed.  There are places you simply cannot take an RV so why limit yourself if it isn't necessary?  We also had fun going places even a regular sedan can't go, like some of the dirt roads in and around our national parks.  You don't have to be a serious offroader to have fun with four-wheel drive cars!

Now, all that said, the easiest thing to do might be to get your motorhome and try roaming around without a car for a while.  I suspect you'll both find it okay at the beginning but then will want to get a toad after being without one.  Whatever you decide, it will be fun and a wonderful new experience for you!

ArdraF

We have only had the motor home since july, my wife has never driven it (I have offered her on numerous times), she is only after getting used to driving my Toyota 4 runner any distance.

For weekend trios we probably don't need a toad but would like to have the option to have one for longer trips :)

stephenm said:
Hi,

What makes her think that?
Have you had accidents?

Her fear is unjustified if she has nothing to back up her fears.  AND even IF you did have an accident
that wouldn't mean it's unmanageable only that your Human.  Now if you had a half dozen or more accidents
that would be another story.

And just because she fears it should have no bearing on you making your life together much easier
by having a car to drive around when you want to go sight seeing or go to a grocery store from a campground instead
of unhooking the MH and using it.

There are many people that have bigger/longer setups then what you would have and do OK.
Depending on what car you might tow with, your 35ft MH would probably be no more then 55ft plus or minus a little.
My MH and trailer put me at 64ft and I'm positive that there are others that are much longer then me.

So in a nut shell, IMO, her irrational fear is just that. 
Fear of the unknown keeps a lot of people from doing things that would give them pleasure if only fear
wasn't blinding them.

But it's your life and if you keep enabling her fear (and yours maybe) and that makes you happy...................
well then I guess you will never know the joy of having another vehicle with you.

Thanks for your input.

At some stage we will try out towing a toad, first step is to get my wife to drive the motorhome which I am sure she will.

Good night all,

Back
Top Bottom