1991 Elite Coach Corp Ford powered Class A Hard to find Info!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1991Elite

I recently acquired this RV as a project, however I am having trouble finding much info on these.  I understand from researched it might have a John Deere Frame???

Please help

That's quite likely. John Deere built a Class A motorhome chassis around then, using a Ford 460 gas engine in most of them. Oshkosh later took over the John Deere chassis, and that ultimately became a part of Freightliner Custom Chassis (the specialty chassis offshoot of Freightliner and now a subsidiary of Daimler North America).

RV brands come and go frequently, and there often is little info about them after. If you could be a bit more specific about what you want to know, maybe someone here can help. but if you are looking for a owner manual or other general info about that brand/model, it is probably non-existent.

I had booked marked this a while back for a friend with a John Deere Chassis.  It is the parts manual for the chassis.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC2109.pdf

Edited to add - for the RV components (Fridge, Stove, etc) you can probably find the individual manuals for those components by searching on the make / model number. 

Mike

1990 Oshkosh/John Deere chassis has a carburetor with 3sp. C6 transmission. 1991 Oshkosh/JD chassis has EFI with 3sp. C6 transmission. Ford F53 chassis of that era will have EFI with 4sp.  E40D transmission. All with 460 engine.
It's possible to have a 1990 chassis under a 1991 coach.
Freightliner purchased Oshkosh/John Deere chassis. So Freightliner is your go to source for OEM parts and manuals.

Richard

Thanks for the feedback guys, however, I was now informed my Elite is actually a 1986!!!!!!

So now it has a gillig chassis!!

I am still having trouble finding info regarding it with this new info.

Is it gas or diesel? Front or rear engine?  Gillig made some gas-powered, rear engine "pusher" chassis back then.

Do you have a title for this coach? Hard to imagine there is a 5 year discrepancy in the model-year. And whether an 86 or 91, it should have a VIN which will identify the chassis builder and type.

It is a front engine gas ford 460 V8.  I bought it extremely cheap to help out a family member going thru some hard times.  The title is what clarified the years.  I was hoping to get this rig road worthy, but after digging deeper into the parts cost and it has a seized engine supposedly and some electrical issues too, I decided to try and part out and scrap it now.  I bought it with the assumption scrapping would be my last resort

Probably the wisest thing to do. Getting a replacement Ford 460 is probably easy enough (if any engine swap can be said to be 'easy' in a Class A coach), but that's just a beginning if there are other issues as well.

I am in the process of deciding on a 1988 Elite coach with a front mounted 460 and I believe a Deere chassis. I think they look kinda nifty. The one I am looking at has been extensively remodeled and that makes me a bit nervous. Is/was yours leaking around the A/C or other roof openings? Are the wiring issues you mention from past modifications? Sorry to hear about the 460.  :(  If you do decide to replace the engine...go for a newer one with fuel injection. It will eek you out another mile or two per gallon...maybe more.

mikelcan said:
I had booked marked this a while back for a friend with a John Deere Chassis.  It is the parts manual for the chassis.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC2109.pdf

Edited to add - for the RV components (Fridge, Stove, etc) you can probably find the individual manuals for those components by searching on the make / model number. 

Mike

THANKS Mike for the link to a parts manual for the Deere chassis! A real lifesaver.

Hey fellas I think i have an oddball here to, (got it from original owner with only 5600 miles, believe he bought the show model one they had at the LA RV show) its a 1990' Elite class A 32' qb, w/ 460 ford EFI, C6 w/ gear vendor on oshkosh chassis . Would really like to find someone that had connections or built these back in the day for information on it and also trying to figure out which doug thorley tri-y headers will fit it.. any help or leads would be much appreciated

Heres what i have.. also i have all original manuals and couple extras on some of the accessories/ appliances, generator etc..lot of paperwork ..also have some extra dealer brochures, models, floorplans options

Attachments

• 16986945862378384569811151363425.jpg
    16986945862378384569811151363425.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 16986948965186608234463453986041.jpg
    16986948965186608234463453986041.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 16986953209115895490213341154348.jpg
    16986953209115895490213341154348.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9
It is a front engine gas ford 460 V8. I bought it extremely cheap to help out a family member going thru some hard times. The title is what clarified the years. I was hoping to get this rig road worthy, but after digging deeper into the parts cost and it has a seized engine supposedly and some electrical issues too, I decided to try and part out and scrap it now. I bought it with the assumption scrapping would be my last resort
Remove the spark plugs, add a teaspoon of Liquid Wrench to each cylinder. Let it soak for a week then try to rotate the engine by hand. If it only moves 1 inch there is hope for success. Then add another teaspoon of Liquid Wrench and repeat the process until you can make at least one revolution before replacing the plugs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom