Suddenly lost our puppy......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

It's hard enough being back home in our empty house, I don't know how we're going to climb back in the coach filled with dog toys. We just lost our 13 year old Sheltie to a heart attack. We were both there, and she was healthy to the last second, playing ball last night - small favors.

Sorry, Scott.  We lost our Lab in 2001 and the grief still feels fresh at times.  At other times we remember the wonderful memories.  We hope wonderful memories will eventually cushion the grief for you.

Oh no, that's very very sad I'm so sorry.  At least she didn't have a long illness. Sending hugs as I know what it's like  :'(

So sorry to hear about your Sheltie. We had to put down our 13 year old Bichon mix a couple of months ago due to tumors around her eyes. In our case, the vet had prepared us for the loss over the course of about a year. I can't imagine having an apparently healthy dog collapse suddenly. My condolences.

So sorry for your loss. May the fact that you were with her and she did not suffer bring you solace.

So sorry for your loss, unfortunately us pet lovers have to go through this. Our furry friends are with us for too short a time. Give yourself time to grieve, a brighter day will come.

All animals we bring into our home are special, They are friends, Companions, Confidants, play mates, exercisers, and so much more. My condolences to you. We lost our 13 yr old German Shepherd last June just before we were heading out for the summer. I still look for him in places he used to frequent and still expect him to come up behind me and surprise me. 

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words.

SeilerBird said:
13 years is a long time for a dog. You were lucky.

Yes, you're right Tom, we were lucky. We were just hoping for a couple more years..... and then of course, a couple more...

Lost Max in April and by August we had another rescue Chowbador.  Do we miss Max?  You bet, but Charlie has already found his place in our hearts.

I was raised on a farm with many animals. Spent 4 years in vet school and have now working with animals as a veterinarian for 55 years. I hate to say that I have had to give that injection many times. When we bring these animals into our homes they truly become part of our families. Men often want to become tuff and not want to show that they are sad. But in truth we all are very sad when we lose one of our "children" and need to shed a few tears. I usually cry along with the owners. Sorry for you loss.

Frank

Men often want to become tuff and not want to show that they are sad. But in truth we all are very sad when we lose one of our "children" and need to shed a few tears. I usually cry along with the owners.

When we had to have the vet euthanize our last dog due to cancer, being "my best buddy", I was in the room when she was given the injection. Chris stayed in the lobby and later told me she could hear me balling my eyes out. We didn't/couldn't acquire another pet for over 10 years and, when we did, we also acquired the last pup from the last litter. We're so attached to mother and daughter, and I have no idea how we'll deal with the eventual loss of either one or both.

Tom said:
later told me she could hear me balling my eyes out.

Yep. Been a rough few days. Didn't realize how deeply ingrained into our days she was

We didn't/couldn't acquire another pet for over 10 years

I really have no idea what our timeline will be, sooner I hope. It's such a risk/reward situation - weighing the love and companionship vs. the inevitable loss and pain.

Tip from a veterinarian: Everyone is different. Many people have dogs or cats and are great owners. They give their animals great care and love and are the best "parents". However, some have done their "thing" and since they are older they do not want another animal. There are often good reasons for their not wanting a new pet. They want to be free to travel without worrying about the pet. They are afraid that they might fall over the pet since they are older and many other reasons. On the other hand there other people that can not live without a pet. Neither one of these reasoning's are always right or wrong and in each case one has to make their own decision. The problem that I often see is when some else, usually a child, decides that a older person needs a new pet and the older person does not want the responsibility of caring for a new pet. This usually results in the person and the pet not being happy. This is a personal decision and should be made by the person involved without pressure from someone else.

Frank

Tom said:
Good advice Frank, thanks.

I agree Tom.  Frank explains something that most folks don't want to address - to replace a lost pet or go without. Since we are both in our mid 70s and our faithful Shih Tzu is 17  and is deaf and blind, we know that we will soon face her loss and dread it.  I hope it happens in her sleep and where we don't have to put her down. We did that once and have never forgotten it.  As for replacement, our pets (we also have two cats) always travel with us and, if I am to be honest, we purchased an RV in part so we could have our pets with us on our trips.  But if we lose Heidi we are not sure about replacing her unless we find a senior dog whose owner can longer care for their pet and the animal is in good enough health to go for a few more years.  Our cats are indoor creatures so no problem in having to let them out and bring them in but a dog does not give you that option. Soooooo as long as we can take care of a dog, we will have a dog.

Scott, we are very sorry for your loss. Crossing that Rainbow Bridge is something all of our pets will eventually have to do and the grief that goes with it serves to keep them in our hearts.

Bill

Sun2Retire said:
It's hard enough being back home in our empty house, I don't know how we're going to climb back in the coach filled with dog toys. We just lost our 13 year old Sheltie to a heart attack. We were both there, and she was healthy to the last second, playing ball last night - small favors.

Scott, we posted to your thread once already but since then we have lost our 17 year old Heidi.  As you well know, grief for a lost pet is hard to endure and we are only now starting to recover but in the days since we have come across many meaningful poems that touch our hearts and remind us of our loving pet.  May I post one that I came across somewhere and do not know the author but it describes our (and probably many others) situation so well as told from the pet's point of view:

Waiting at the Door??

I was just a pup when we first met, I loved you from the start,
you picked me up and took me home and placed me in your heart.

Good times we had together, we shared all life could throw,
but years passed all too quickly, my time has come to go.

I know how much you miss me, I know your heart is sore,
I see the tears that fall when I?m not Waiting at the Door.

You always did your best for me
your love was plain to see,
for even though it broke your heart
you set my spirit free.

So please be brave without me,
one day we?ll meet once more,
for when you?re called to Heaven
I?ll be Waiting at the Door.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members