Propane heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2Stepr

I am looking into purchasing a Mr Buddy or a Wave propane heater for a travel trailer / 5th wheel.  Looking for pros and cons of both.  Thank you in advance........

While they may say OK for indoor use,  IMO I'd only use them as a last resort, and only then with the ceiling vent open and a window cracked to get fresh air (read the oxygen) into the RV.

Indoor propane (And Kerosene) space heaters are SUPPOSED to have an oxygen sensor so if the O2 goes too low they shut off.

What happens if the sensor fails?????    Well.. You go "Off".. that is you fail to wake up in the morning.. Not a good plan... As Can't said.  Might be ok with ventelation but I'd rather trust a heat exchanger.. And I had one of those come "that close" to killing me... I replaced it just in time.. it would not have made it another heating season.

We have used them in an RV, but never left it on overnight while we slept. Maybe only a chance in a million that the O2 sensor might fail, but too scary to risk.

And while catalytic heaters are very clean burning, we could still detect a very slight odor from it.

Nothing is on while we sleep.  No furnace, no space heater, nothing.  I'd rather add a blanket than take a chance.  Have camped in the high 20's once or twice.  No fun getting up when it's 40 something in the coach, but at least we can get up.  As John pointed out, it's good to be able to get up.  ;)

We use the LP furnace at night if it's too cold for the heat pumps. It gets combustion air from the outside, and exhausts outside as well.  I suppose you could worry about a hole in the burner box or exterior feeds, but that's no more risk than with a gas or oil fired home heating system.  At some point, good sense becomes paranoia. 

I just bought an oil heater.
No fan, it radiates so it's practically silent, which is nice so I don't have to turn up the TV volume when it turns on.

It has timers so I could have it turn on just before I wake up and any other time I want.

Been using it in the house and it keeps a small room very warm.  So far I like it and will take it with me
when I use the MH no matter where I go as we all know how things can change.  :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BZFQB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using the oil filled heaters for quite some time. What I've discovered is, when using them on the 1500 watt setting, they burn up the receps. I started using them on the medium setting without any problems.YMMV

Just for a test for yourself. Plug one in and set it on the highest setting. After some time, couple hours maybe, feel of the cord & the plug, see if it isn't warm or hot.

malexander said:
I've been using the oil filled heaters for quite some time. What I've discovered is, when using them on the 1500 watt setting, they burn up the receps. I started using them on the medium setting without any problems.YMMV

Just for a test for yourself. Plug one in and set it on the highest setting. After some time, couple hours maybe, feel of the cord & the plug, see if it isn't warm or hot.
They should not burn up the receptacles. There is something seriously wrong with your heater. Replace it since they aren't worth trying to fix.

A big concern I have with invented heaters is the amount of moisture that gets put into an RV. Between the heater and humans, the way nsides can get drippy before too long unless there's a chance to air out the place.

SeilerBird said:
They should not burn up the receptacles. There is something seriously wrong with your heater.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've got 7 of them, they all (7) do the same thing. They're not even all the same brand.

malexander said:
Sorry, I have to disagree. I've got 7 of them, they all (7) do the same thing. They're not even all the same brand.

There IS a problem!  Either the heater(s), or the supply source feeding the receptacles/receptacle themselves.  Personally, I'd get to the bottom of it and find out what the problem is and eliminate it.  Turning the heater down a notch isn't the answer!

xrated said:
There IS a problem!  Either the heater(s), or the supply source feeding the receptacles/receptacle themselves.  Personally, I'd get to the bottom of it and find out what the problem is and eliminate it.  Turning the heater down a notch isn't the answer!

yeah, ok.

I don't know how the self-contained receptacles used in RVs ever got approved.  They are junk!  I replaced every one that I could with real residential outlets in a box, and provided a dedicated outlet and breaker for a heater.

malexander said:
yeah, ok.

I'm not trying to be a smart A**......but there is a problem.  I've been a Journeyman Electrician since 1980 (that's 36 years of working on everything from 5 volt logic level circuitry all the way up to 15,000 volt medium voltage breakers and contactors) and when a receptacle (in this case) is getting hot or burning up when there is something plugged into it.....there is a problem somewhere.  You can choose to ignore the issue if you want (I am 100% against doing that), but it's serious business and can result in a fire.  Is it worth that?  All it would take is for someone to accidently plug one of the units in and mistakenly put it on the high setting!  If the heater is really rated at 1500 watts on high, even a 15A receptacle should be able to handle that comfortably......unless there is an issue with either the heater or the receptacle and or the associated wiring to the circuit.

Just a quick question........Would you take off in your Cessna 150 if you knew that there was an engine overheating problem?

Got to agree with xrated.  If multiple heaters toast different outlets, there is likely a problem in the house power system. Low voltage would be my guess, since all outlets suffer the same problem. Determining WHY the voltage is low may take some sleuthing, though.

A 1500 watt heater draws  12.5 amps on a 120v circuit and that's within the capacity of a 15A outlet. At 110v the amp draw goes up to 13.3 and that begins to get iffy when we are talking continuous operation (heaters often run for hours non-stop). A 15A outlet is rated for 12 amps continuous (continuous basically means more than 30 minutes at a stretch). Cheap grade outlets can get hot and even melt under those circumstances.  Marshall may have a combination of problems, i.e. somewhat low voltage (less than 115), low quality outlets, and maybe some poor wiring connections as well.

Nobody seems to have answered the OP's question regarding the difference between the Buddy and the Wave.

The Buddy is a blue flame heater, while the Wave is catalytic, and burns much cleaner. The blue flame types have a built in low oxygen sensor that will shut them off if conditions become dangerous. It will also shut them off at high altitudes, over about 6000 ft. to 7,000 ft. The Wave will operate at any altitude where a human can breath.

As somebody already mentioned, both types emit a lot of water vapor. I have a Wave installed in the bedroom. I once woke up in the morning, to find a layer of ice on the windows in the unheated areas. Other than that, I have used it for years with no problem.

Joel

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
At some point, good sense becomes paranoia.

My background in Risk Management is partly to blame for my "paranoia".  Other than that, both my wife and I have difficulty breathing when the furnace is on.  Makes no difference if it's the S/B or motorhome.  I'm not a mouth breather and when my nose becomes stuffy, I can't breath and wake up.  So usually do not get adequate sleep when the furnace is on.  We also sleep with the windows open.  Of course, we're not camping in freezing temps. 

In my search for Catalytic heaters, I came across this article.  Vent free heater cautions.  It's a good read.  http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id110.html

Great Horned Owl said:
Nobody seems to have answered the OP's question regarding the difference between the Buddy and the Wave.

The Buddy is a blue flame heater, while the Wave is catalytic, and burns much cleaner. The blue flame types have a built in low oxygen sensor that will shut them off if conditions become dangerous. It will also shut them off at high altitudes, over about 6000 ft. to 7,000 ft. The Wave will operate at any altitude where a human can breath.

As somebody already mentioned, both types emit a lot of water vapor. I have a Wave installed in the bedroom. I once woke up in the morning, to find a layer of ice on the windows in the unheated areas. Other than that, I have used it for years with no problem.

Joel

I didn't answer the O.P.'s question because I don't honestly know the difference between the two....and don't really need to for my situation.  But, what I did see was a very serious problem with "malexander's" post and tried to address that....even though it was off topic of this thread.  It's a serious enough potential problem that I simply could not ignore it and wanted to address it as soon as possible.  Whether he or she takes my advice to address it or not, is obviously up to them, but I've satisfied my conscience and let him/her know the seriousness of the problem.  Sorry for taking it off topic of this thread, but at least you know the reason why now.

Back
Top Bottom