Tow Car Shield complaints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coastline

The Tow Car Shield has just entered the 20th year of production and over two decades there have been problems.  During the early years I paid for the repaints of many cars as we progressed through the evolutionary process of research and development, just as the makers of common car bras have done.  It's hard to claim to protect a car from common road hazards and not stand behind a rock solid warranty and remain in business.

In all of 2016 I received three complaints of paint damage. Two of those customers were not happy with my findings and decided to "write letters" addressing their dissatisfaction and I some of you have read them and asked for my side of the story.  But  I find it alarming that no one is willing, to provide me with the on-line source to rebut. So, I am responding here.

The first instance was a Canadian customer, towing an F150, who decided to improve the performance of his Tow Car Shield by securing it with a cargo strap across the hood and fenders.  This action removed paint from the hood and fenders of his truck after which he decided to notified me explaining what he had done and demanded that I pay to repaint his truck.  The problem here is that there wasn't any previous contact from him and that the use and warranty instructions clearly state that the owner should stop using his Tow Car Shield and contact the factory if there is a problem.  In this case, the "you can't fix stupid" clause prevailed.
The standard warranty in place for 20 years clearly states that the buyer has a 30 day trial period to use the TCS as much, and for as many towed miles, as necessary to be sure that this product is the right one for the customer.  Return it with proper notification and get a refund.  It's easy.  We will even post date this warranty when if the buyer doesn't plan to use it for a while.  No problem.
Another complaint was from a Las Vegas resident who came to our shop in California where the TCS was demonstrated for them on their Grand Cherokee.  Later in the year and after more than 2,200 miles of alleged use, scuffing to the clear coat was reported.  Standard procedure is to ask questions and for photos that illustrate where damage has occurred.  Photographs of damage to paint is hard to document but depicting the areas concerned are not.  We know from years of experience where damage can occur and a good picture marked with masking tape, or a finger pointing to the effected spot works really well.  But, this couple could not do that.  It was a complete struggle to obtain credible evidence that I was liable for a $180.00 (estimate submitted) detailing of the entire car to correct scuffing in a couple of spots the size of postage stamps.  Discourse with these people ended with a tirade of 4-letter expletives directed at me and every employee here and the promise to "write letters."

I take every complaint, bits of criticism and  all suggestions for improvement very seriously.  Fraud is rampant and not just in big business or government.

Last winter a customer in Oklahoma City bought a TCS for their Saturn.  Great car, by the way if you can still find one, and a huge mistake by GM to kill it.  Saturn was for several years 27% of what was towed behind motor homes.  Anyway, after several weeks the claim of major damage came in and return of the TCS was requested for inspection.  We do screw up and maybe  assembly was incorrect or possibly we shipped the wrong cover. 

Standard questions were asked and the customer documented his trip to New Orleans where they stayed for a few days and then traveled Northward and West across Texas, New Mexico and on to Tucson where the damage was discovered. 
Tools that I use to validate, or invalidate some claims include CarFax, Weather Underground and local, reputable body shops and appraisers.  The car in question suffered from a major discoloration of the paint across  a large area of the hood  as shown in photos.  No doubt about it, something was wrong.  However, the Tow Car Shield that was returned showed zero signs of wear from the trip as described.  It had been installed.

But, www.weatherunderground.com archives showed major rain storms along the route from Oklahoma City to New Orleans and while they were camped there. The trip across the country to Arizona was mostly clear weather though.  The TCS showed no evidence of use beyond the initial installation:  Rain washes road dust and debris into the seams and felt binding around the edge and crud collects behind it below the tow bar area; a 2,000 mile trip across several states will leave evidence of diesel exhaust, bug splats and so on.
Inquiry to CarFax will show if any car has ever been to any reputable body shop anywhere in the United States or Canada.  In this case I did not have to resort to paying for that service as it was clear and evident that the car had been repainted and that the original paint and primer had not been completely removed to bare metal.  Paint shops and appraiser use a Coating Thickness Gauge just for this purpose and you can buy your own on EBay or Amazon.

If my Tow Car Shield causes paint damage it is going to be by scuffing the clear coat first, and then eating into the thin layer of color beneath it. But only in certain areas.  I know this from 20 years experience.

Purchase of every Tow Car Shield has always included lifetime free repair or replacement to the original purchaser and it will always will.
From now on, when any person contacts me with negative here say evidence, I will blame in on the Russians or fake news.
Tow Car S
Mitchell Schliebs
RVandOffRoad.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom