Swap Verizon Hotspots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

Hi,
I have a new 4G Hotspot to swap for my current 3G version. Would prefer not to go to Verizon store to do it. Has anyone tried this and been sucessful? How?

TIA

Ernie

How did you get it?  You can do this if it is Verizon-ready.  You will have to swap out the sim card.  It's usually under the battery.

Bought a 6602L (Verizon) on Amazon. My old system is a dongle and I don't believe it has a sim card.

Ernie

Well there are two or 3 ways to do it depending.
IF You have a SIM card.. Move the card, but alas, you said you don't think so, Check download the manual for both units and check

2: IF your account requires a password log in .. Like back in the dial up days.. But I know of none that do so I doubt this is an option

3: Contact Verizon and get them to authorize the new device and pay the new price.. Sorry. Only guaranteed method.

If the new modem/hotspot came with a Sim card, you can do it with online Verizon support. If they don't have a record of the Sim card Id (bought direct from Verizon), they will ask you to read the Sim Id number to them so they can activate it. If it didn't come with a Sim card they can send you one, but easier to go to a Verizon store. I prefer the Verizon owned (corporate) stores rather than a "partner" store cause the clerks are usually better trained and they can d somet8hings via computer that partner stores cannot, but activating is a straightforward task 99.9% of the time.

Years ago I had a Verizon 3g USB hotspot with unlimited data. Verizon at that time would not allow you to go to 4g even if you purchased the new Hotspot outright. Verizon said No problem with activating the new hotspot, but it would still be 3g only if want to keep unlimited data

I dropped the USB Hotspot and switched to using my phone which was on another plan, but also unlimited data. At that time you had to purchase your 4g phone outright to upgrade, but you did get 4g with the phone.

ken

Edit, added italicized

I've been using Verizon "Mifi" 4g hotspots for several years. Have one now, in fact.  Your plan may have to change to get 4g service if  didn't have it before, but AFAIK all current Verizon plans include 4g data as the standard service.

Back
Top Bottom