Hearing loss, old age or?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Just read this article.  http://www.wsj.com/articles/cant-hear-in-noisy-places-its-a-real-medical-condition-1474909624    Hidden hearing loss. 

The article pretty much describes my hearing problems.  I've had them for as long as I can remember.  Anyone heard of this or experienced similar problems which were corrected by hearing aids? 

My hearing has always been within the normal range.  The last time I had the ears tested was in my mid-50's.  The results indicated typical hearing loss for my age group.  It's been almost 20 years so I'm long overdue for a hearing test, and I suspect the results will suggest a hearing aid, but I prefer to forgo the significant expense if they really don't work.   

I can't read the article because I am not a Wall Street subscriber. I was diagnosed with hearing loss a few years ago. I wore a hearing aid for a year and then gave up on it. It made listening to music very distorted so I quit using them. Yep, at our age just about all of us have a hearing loss. It is normal, more for men than for women. I have learned to pay more attention when people talk to me, point an ear directly at them and ask them to repeat if I don't understand what they are saying.

SeilerBird said:
I can't read the article because I am not a Wall Street subscriber.

Same here.
I purchased hearing aids 3 years ago. I wasn't deaf, but there was one tone level I had a hard time hearing. Everything sounded basy to me so I would have to turn the volume up on the TV and radio to here them. Drove my DW nuts. I hate wearing them but it's life.

I hear ya Tom.  ;)  I guess I could copy and paste the article but that might cause a stir.  Basically, the article says  Hidden Hearing Loss, is not the same as typical hearing loss.  Standard hearing tests don't measure it and sufferers are usually told their hearing is normal.  That was my case.  However, the distress they feel in crowded restaurants and business meeting is quite real.  I experienced both in my business career.  They believe the causes of problems processing speech amid noise are different than the causes of problems hearing sound.  I'm pretty sure I hear sounds as well as the next.  In fact, my wife who has excellent hearing can't hear certain sounds as well as me.  Likewise, I can't hear certain sounds that she does.  More and more it's difficult to understand the dialogue while listening to TV.  Certain voices are crystal clear while others are quite muddy.  Heavy accents are another problem.  I'm continuously asking my wife for interpretation.  Not a problem when we're alone.  But it isn't something I want to do when watching with friends. 

I hear you on the music issue.  Music is my passion.  Have an acoustic piano at the S/B and an electronic keyboard that we take on the road.  Sony ear phones are wonderful.  No way I'm losing even a note because of a hearing aid. 

Google 'hidden hearing loss'

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-you-hear-me-now-detecting-hidden-hearing-loss-in-young-people/
http://www.brainvolts.northwestern.edu/documents/Kraus_WhiteSchwoch_HJ_May2016.pdf
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161222143525.htm
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140507142804.htm

My hearing loss is because of too many gunshots in my youth. I was a shooter before I went into the army in 1962. No hearing protection was available in the army in basic or in Vietnam. Then I spent my last few months  in the army on the post competitive rifle team. I was ROD (relieved of duty) and spent about six hours a day, five days a week shooting - no hearing protection.
In the 80s it got really hard to understand speech in any noisy environments like restaurants. I got hearing aids and they made all the difference in the world. The ones I have now are the behind the ear type and the electronics is orders of magnitude better. They have several modes, one of which is for music. The modes can be selected by pushing a button on each aid or with a small remote.
Nothing will replace natural hearing but in my opinion aids are well worth the cost - almost $5000 for the pair.
Note that when you first get them you hear sounds you haven't heard in many years and it is overwhelming at first. The good news is that the brain adjusts and after a period of time it sounds normal. It can take from a couple of weeks (in my case) to a month or so. If you persevere and wear them while you are awake you will adjust to them.

I have substantial hearing loss, and have had for many years. I bought some Phonak hearing aids a few years ago,  and love them. They make listening to music much more pleasant. I can hear most mens voices without the aids, but womans or my grand kids, not so much. I don't wear them around the house much, but just because I'm to lazy to put them in. I actually purchased a set just like mine off of ebay last fall for $200.00 and had them programmed for me. I didn't want to ruin my good ones from sweating so I didn't wear them playing golf. I will now. Just remember hearing aids are no better than the person that does your hearing test and programs them for you. The fellow that does mine takes extra time and does a wonderful job for me. I have the ones that fit over the back of the ear, with the speaker in the canal. I don't even feel them on anymore. I was worried I'd lose them at first, but they have never came off. The first pair I had were Miracle Ear in the ear and didn't like them at all. couldn't talk on the phone without removing, because they squealed real bad. I haven't heard a bird chirp in 25 years till I got my aids. To me they are worth every penny I spent.   

garyb1st said:
I hear ya Tom.  ;)  I guess I could copy and paste the article but that might cause a stir.  Basically, the article says  Hidden Hearing Loss, is not the same as typical hearing loss.  Standard hearing tests don't measure it and sufferers are usually told their hearing is normal.  That was my case.  However, the distress they feel in crowded restaurants and business meeting is quite real.  I experienced both in my business career.  They believe the causes of problems processing speech amid noise are different than the causes of problems hearing sound.  I'm pretty sure I hear sounds as well as the next.  In fact, my wife who has excellent hearing can't hear certain sounds as well as me.  Likewise, I can't hear certain sounds that she does.  More and more it's difficult to understand the dialogue while listening to TV.  Certain voices are crystal clear while others are quite muddy.  Heavy accents are another problem.  I'm continuously asking my wife for interpretation.  Not a problem when we're alone.  But it isn't something I want to do when watching with friends. 

I hear you on the music issue.  Music is my passion.  Have an acoustic piano at the S/B and an electronic keyboard that we take on the road.  Sony ear phones are wonderful.  No way I'm losing even a note because of a hearing aid.
Gary they have aids that have many channels now. The more channels the finer the programming can be. They also cost more. Mine cost $3,000.00, but I could have spent much more.  Before my aids, in a restaurant all I could hear was noise. Now I can hear most people at my table and some people near by, some I don't want to hear. 

Mark, thanks for the links. 

Clay, the type of hearing loss you describe is typical.  Kinda like the factory workers that don't wear hearing protection.  But this is different.  As a young boy, I could never understand the lyrics to songs.  As an old man, I still can't.  Nothing has really changed.  But I'm beginning to understand my difficulty.  And for me, I suspect it's tied to a central processing disorder.  Self diagnosis.  Still, I'm going to give it a go.  Just not expecting much improvement.   

92GA said:
Now I can hear most people at my table and some people near by, some I don't want to hear.

Hearing others 20 feet away is part of my problem.  I can hear people half way across a room just as well as the folks sitting next to me.  The problem is zeroing in on the voice I need to hear.  In a noisy environment, its' nearly impossible. 

SeilerBird said:
Don't be embarrassed to ask someone to repeat themselves, it is better than a hearing aid.
I disagree 100% with this statement. There is a huge difference in hearing aids. You can't buy an over the net hearing aid and expect it to work like a fitted aid programmed for your hearing lose. It's terrible not to hear or understand what somebody says. The right aids does make a lot of difference.

garyb1st said:
Hearing others 20 feet away is part of my problem.  I can hear people half way across a room just as well as the folks sitting next to me.  The problem is zeroing in on the voice I need to hear.  In a noisy environment, its' nearly impossible.
Gary do a lot of research BEFORE you buy. I know Phonak does make a aid that will help you hear the person that you are looking at above the other sounds in the room. I can't explain how they work, but I have read a few articals about them.

https://www.phonak.com/us/en.html?referrer=https://www.searchlock.com/

Gary here is a link to a thread we had a few years ago. Good read if you have time.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,70117.0.html

Sounds like a lot of you guts have what I have, "high frequency hearing loss".  It is especially bothers me if there is a lot of back ground noise, such as a crowded room like a restaurant, ect. I can hear people talk but cannot tell what they are actually saying.  I have told people if it is noisy that if sound kind of stupid by agreeing or disagreeing with something you said it is because I actually have no idea what you said.
My loss comes from too many years of cars and motorcycles with no mufflers and racing, a lot & I mean a lot of shooting without hearing protection.  Any type of impact noise will eventually get you.
Almost forgot to add that if it were just to watch TV or something like that I would not buy hearing aids, a nice set of bluetooth ear buds or head phones would be a lot cheaper and more satisfying as you could set the TV volume to suit the wife and set your earbud or head phone level to suit you also you could shape your audio response with the tone controls to your needs.

92GA said:
I disagree 100% with this statement. There is a huge difference in hearing aids. You can't buy an over the net hearing aid and expect it to work like a fitted aid programmed for your hearing lose. It's terrible not to hear or understand what somebody says. The right aids does make a lot of difference.
I removed my remark. I tried $4000 hearing aids before I bought mine off the net and they sounded identical to me. So I don't see the point for me to spend $4k when I don't need you. YMMV.

92GA said:
I have substantial hearing loss, and have had for many years. I bought some Phonak hearing aids a few years ago,  and love them. They make listening to music much more pleasant. I can hear most mens voices without the aids, but womans or my grand kids, not so much. I don't wear them around the house much, but just because I'm to lazy to put them in. I actually purchased a set just like mine off of ebay last fall for $200.00 and had them programmed for me. I didn't want to ruin my good ones from sweating so I didn't wear them playing golf. I will now. Just remember hearing aids are no better than the person that does your hearing test and programs them for you. The fellow that does mine takes extra time and does a wonderful job for me. I have the ones that fit over the back of the ear, with the speaker in the canal. I don't even feel them on anymore. I was worried I'd lose them at first, but they have never came off. The first pair I had were Miracle Ear in the ear and didn't like them at all. couldn't talk on the phone without removing, because they squealed real bad. I haven't heard a bird chirp in 25 years till I got my aids. To me they are worth every penny I spent. 
X2. I could have written this post, with the exception of the part about getting a second set of Phonaks for $200! Color me jealous. By all means, be sure to find someone who can program your aids to improve your hearing. I wore a pair of Rextons for 4 years and called them my "mumble enhancers." They did not clear up the speech of others. Then I found a technician who retuned them for me, and it was like "hearing in color," if that makes any sense. I now have the Phonak behind the ear aids, and I can't stand to be without them.

I have a combination of high frequency cut off and tinnitus. The audiologist that tested me submitted a full report with all the relevant charts that I forwarded to hiHealth Innovations, a United Healthcare company. They shipped my two custom programmed  behind-the-ear hearing aids with the specific frequency of my tinnitus attenuated. The very first time I used them was a life changing experience! I could hear birds sing again, I could hear and understand people without having them repeat things, and recorded music sounds much better. I did find that live music for some reason sounds better by switching my aids to an alternate program, but that just takes a button press or two. Having a zero premium UHC Medicare Advantage Plan, my co-pay for the aids was just $660 for the pair. Now, putting my aids on is one of the first orders of business when I get up in the morning. Oh, and for sweaty or rainy conditions, I have a pair of slip on hearing aid "sweat bands" that shed moisture and also buffer wind blasts.

I have Beltones  brand and they work great.  They have Regular mode for most of the time, TV Radio mode for home and noise area mode for restaurants, etc.  I jokingly call the latter mode "Wife Mode". :)
TV mode enhances the volume and the vol. is turned low. When driving by myself I go to the Restaurant mode and turn the radio a bit louder. That way I don't pick up much, if any road noise.
Marvin
PS.  Too much pistol competition in the early '60's and Viet Nam didn't help the ears either.
I can have them re-calibrated if needed.

I didn't read the links, but this "hidden loss" sounds like it might be similar to or related to a condition my young son was diagnosed with.... auditory processing disorder.
As my speech therapist wife has explained it to me, the ears work but the brain doesn't process well to discern things through background noise and such.

I have tinnitus, and I feel like its getting worse.  I have wondered if hearing aids would help me and have considered consulting with an audiologist.  My issue isn't really a bad problem, but I do struggle to hear voices in noisy environments.  Maybe some day I'll look into it.

My issue I think came from multiple things....grew up hunting, using power tools and chainsaws, riding motorcycles, loud cars, and driving with my window down and radio blasting.... all without hearing protection.  In my early twenties, went to work in industry and started wearing hearing protection religiously.... but it was too late..... I had a slight hearing loss all along, but the tinnitus problem didn't start showing up till maybe early to mid 40's I guess...

blw2 said:
I didn't read the links, but this "hidden loss" sounds like it might be similar to or related to a condition my young son was diagnosed with.... auditory processing disorder. 
As my speech therapist wife has explained it to me, the ears work but the brain doesn't process well to discern things through background noise and such.

Good thing you were able to identify that in your son.  Make sure your son's teachers understand there's a disorder. 

I think the tinnitus thing is pretty common with age related hearing loss.  Mine is not bad and usually I don't even notice it.  That is until I start thinking about it.  Like now.  ;) 

What?

Motorcycles.  Loud rock & Roll (played in a bunch of bands).  Shooting.  And then I worked in a computer room for years.  I believe the audiologists report called it profound high frequency hearing loss.  With tinnitus of course.

I bought a pair of axil custom molded and programmed shooters hearing aids, sold as SportEars.  Don't care for them all that much but I can at least wear them while shooting.  As hearing aids go they were cheap at only $2,800.  I absolutely can't wear them in a noisy environment or while eating.  Or as I just discovered, in 25MPH winds.  They are simply not that good as a hearing aid.

My brother got Phonaks from the VA with 'the works'.  Bluetooth, remote, listen forward, and so on.  I think if he had to pay for them it would have been around $8,000.

Back
Top Bottom