What should you know, going to an RV show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dara

Going to my first RV show in a couple weekends.  Not looking to purchase there, just get a feel for what I want and to dream as well. 

Any suggestions on what to see, what to ask, what to avoid, etc. ?

Seilerbird's advice is spot on. Look at what you think you want plus other options.

We thought we knew what we wanted (Class C less than 25'). Got to show walked through a couple and quickly realized that wouldn't work at all. Then started looking at Class A gas. Considered those and then changed our minds again and realized we need a Class A DP. This was in October 2014. The next show we attended was the 2015 Florida Super Show. We once again quickly walked through a few Class C's and confirmed too small for our needs. Then we walked through just about all Class A DP's. We then took ArdraF's and Gary RVRoamer's advice and really paid attention to what we liked, especially floorplan, but other things too like included features, fireplaces, dishwashers, washer/dryers, bed size, etc, etc. Finally narrowed it down to the Tiffan 33AA and the Forest River 34QS. We then researched and researched. Went  to a couple other shows, over to Lazy Days in Tampa and finally in October we bought the FR. So overall the whole process took a year.

Enjoy the search and Good Luck!!!

If you stand very still and very quiet, you might spot a salesperson. They are protected so don't shoot at 'em.

Cheers

A fun thing I like to do is ask the salesperson what kind of RV they own and where all have they gone in it.

SeilerBird and Dream Chasers are right on the money. You can never look inside too many RV's. 

If you are looking for TT or 5er know what your trucks towing and cargo capacity is. DO NOT believe any sales person. If looking for a MH you should know it's towing capacity as well since you will most likely want a toad.
RichH

As previously said look at everything.  I'd also add talk to and ask questions of the factory rep if he is present.  He should know his product better than most salesman.  We learned this last weekend that some will even do a certain amount of customization if your are willing to order one.  Make sure to take your smart phone with a full battery and check online against the price on the sticker.  Caught two salesman saying this was the lowest price of the year, show special, pulled up the unit via the provided stock number and it was lower.  They both quickly excused themselves when i showed it to them.

My wife and I are most likely going to the one in Chattanooga, TN on Jan 20th - 22nd weekend; and we've not been to one before.  A quick question; do the secondary vendors normally sell their products at discounted pricing or will they mostly all be at full tilt on pricing.  I'll be armed with my phone to be able to check prices on certain items, but just in general.....discounts on stuff or no?

And no worries about buying a camper, we just did that at the end of October.

Hello Dara,

Dara said:
Going to my first RV show in a couple weekends.  Not looking to purchase there, just get a feel for what I want and to dream as well. 

Any suggestions on what to see, what to ask, what to avoid, etc. ?

The LTRVD couple published a podcast specifically with tips fire people going to RV shows, we listened to it and found it instructive:

https://www.podcat.com/podcasts/k1DqdJ-living-the-rv-dream/episodes/rLC18j-ltrvd0350-rv-show-tips

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

great advice all thanks so much.  keep it coming!

VallandMo that podcast doesn't seem to be working or there anymore.

First thing to know is to leave your checkbook home. You are looking, not buying. The sales guys will tell you they have limited time "show special" pricing, but it's almost always a lot of hooey. If they will give you a discount today, they will also give it next week. Don't get rushed into buying something without looking around, comparing, and really thinking through your wants and needs.

xrated said:
A quick question; do the secondary vendors normally sell their products at discounted pricing or will they mostly all be at full tilt on pricing.

Yes.

I've seen it both ways. Sometimes they're also clearing out old stock at bargain prices. I picked up some LED light fixtures that way a couple of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom