Overnighting in interstate rest areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
Many truckers are sleeping in their cab, which often has a bed at the back, or watching tv or online. Trucks that have no auxiliary generators run the engine for heat and power, including inverters for tv or computers.  When they aren't driving, their truck is their living room.

Very true Gary. By the way I like that RV Emeritus  title.  You are most deserving of it.  Keep contributing here please.

Bill

SeilerBird said:
Actually there are a lot more that six states that allow overnighting.

http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/rest-stops.html

Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut
-? only on Illinois Toll Road
Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
Kansas
Nevada
New Mexico
New York - emergencies only
Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
Oklahoma
Oregon - 14-hour limit
Texas
Virginia
Wyoming - with some limitations

California actually has a few rest areas with designated RV parking, the Weed rest area off I5 is one we have used. I think California has an 8 hour limit. Connecticut also has some rest areas with dedicated RV areas. We have used the one south of Hartford off I91.
[/size]
[/size]ken

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
Many truckers are sleeping in their cab, which often has a bed at the back, or watching tv or online. Trucks that have no auxiliary generators run the engine for heat and power, including inverters for tv or computers.  When they aren't driving, their truck is their living room.

Thanks Gary,

That makes sense to me now.

SeilerBird said:
Because it is a rest area. Not everyone in a rest area is there to spend the entire night. Most rest areas are not patrolled very heavy so no one is checking there every hour and looking for someone to kick out.

That was my point - States that claim you can't overnight there - doesn't make any difference because it's done all the time
by truckers needing a rest (aka as sleep) so it shouldn't make any difference if your in a MH or RV.  because no one is checking what
time you rolled in and starting a clock as to how long you have been there.

If I had to guess - the states that DON"T allow overnights in rest area's are probably afraid if they do allow it, people will
start camping there maybe for days at a time, which would be taking advantage of the system IMO.

But like I said, a Walmart or other place (campground?) might be a better choice.  Very few truckers use Walmart's that I have seen.

RedandSilver said:
But like I said, a Walmart or other place (campground?) might be a better choice.  Very few truckers use Walmart's that I have seen.

There are some exceptions. For example, my local Walmart lot has 10 to 12 trucks over weekends and even more over holidays.  Guys can't put their rigs in front of their house in the city so they park them in the far our spaces of the Walmart lot. Walmart does not seem to object.

I'll overnight in a rest area if I can park by a curb, in order to run my bedroom slide out over the grass.
Otherwise, I'll do a WM, or another big box parking lot.

Bill N said:
There are some exceptions. For example, my local Walmart lot has 10 to 12 trucks over weekends and even more over holidays.  Guys can't put their rigs in front of their house in the city so they park them in the far our spaces of the Walmart lot. Walmart does not seem to object.

Same with our local Walmart & Target shopping centers. And both have a Security Patrol.. 24/7/365.

I have definitely seen trucks overnighting in Walmart parking lots, refers and generators running. I prefer staying in a parking lot to staying in a rest area. Rest areas are noisier and smellier with the trucks parked close together and running generators. Since the sites are marked and generally full, you can't just take up a couple of spots to find room for the slide. I also don't like the idea of taking up a spot that a working person needs for mandatory breaks. I have also been in rest areas with very sketchy people asking for money or assistance of other types. Summary of my personal opinion, worth totally as much as you just paid for it, is that I won't stay overnight in a rest area.

Found this list that may help.  http://beamalarm.com/Documents/state-rest_stop_policies.html

I pulled into a Florida rest stop late the Friday after Thanksgiving and was greeted almost immediately by a uniformed person letting me know that 3 hours was my limit.

It was a surprise to this westerner, and it would have been nice to stay longer, but getting the info before getting a ticket was appreciated.

Good Link Mark, Thanks.

We've noticed in using  Big Box store parking lots for an overnight, everyone seems to park Front to Back, or spread out some ? Makes for a quieter setting ?

Not bashing Rest Stops here.. but when using Situational Awareness.. we feel that one of us needs to stay with the Rig.. That's gota be your sign (?) about staying very long ?

Most all Rest Stops are Great for their intent .. To take a short break, walk the Pooch, have lunch, use the facilities, then move on. 

We stayed overnight at the MS welcome center on sb I-55 one night.  They have a guard booth that's manned 24/7.  We got extra brownie points when my wife took the lady guard a cup of coffee in the morning.

Old_Crow said:
We stayed overnight at the MS welcome center on sb I-55 one night.  They have a guard booth that's manned 24/7.  We got extra brownie points when my wife took the lady guard a cup of coffee in the morning.
I-55 through Mississippi is a very nice highway and all of  their rest stops have guards 24/7.  We were impressed with this as few other states have this level of protection.  They may not be 100 percent effective but just their presence is a deterrent to evil doers.

SeilerBird said:
I have visited hundreds of rest stops in every state in the union and never once ran into someone who was suspicious looking.
I must look like I have money! I have been accosted three times for "gas money" by odd people at rest areas. I have walked past syringes that didn't quite make it in to the trash can. Those were all with just an SUV and a pop up (kids were with us). We were in a rest area just recently with the trailer, and had a guy walk right up to the trailer door as DH walked to the facilities. He was quite surprised when I saw him and opened the door quickly, calling for my husband. The guy literally ran to his car and left the area. I figure he didn't see me go into the trailer and was seeing if he could get inside quickly.

YMMV.

Only problem I've had in over 50 years of RVing was at a National Park campground, where I woke up in the morning to find my(previously un hooked)toad missing.

UTTransplant said:
I must look like I have money! I have been accosted three times for "gas money" by odd people at rest areas.

That has happened to me too.
But I no longer give money to people begging because it is their idea of working.
Claiming to be out of gas and having no money has got be be a super big lie or lack of planning to the max.
Then they wait there for the next guy to come along and they peddle their sob story again and again and again.

Same thing at a gas station someone claiming to have no money but has a gas can and asking you if you can put some gas in it.
Then they go and put the gas in their car and wait for the next guy to give them some more. I'm sure they fill there car that way.
Again it's their idea of working.  IF no one ever gave them anything again they would have to do something else Maybe Get A Job.
Oh that would be TOO MUCH work........

Therefore I will not give to beggars again.

We had a panhandler at one of the exits at a Home Depot back home. This guy had a cell phone in his back pocket. Across the street there was a convenience store and they were advertising on a sign outside, Help Wanted. I told the guy to go get a job and he said he had no transportation to get back and forth to work. I said Good Bye.

Rene T said:
I told the guy to go get a job and he said he had no transportation to get back and forth to work.

He didn't have any feet? 
Funny he got to where he was without a problem.

Bill N said:
I-55 through Mississippi is a very nice highway and all of  their rest stops have guards 24/7.  We were impressed with this as few other states have this level of protection.  They may not be 100 percent effective but just their presence is a deterrent to evil doers.
We have something like that. Usually in the form of troopers...looking for speeders.

Back
Top Bottom