3000 lb UVW + 5000 towing capacity seems more than OK... right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roc856

Nothing bought yet, but I'm looking at a 21 foot lightweight TT (Flagstaff Micro Lite 19FD; 3068 lb UVW) to be towed by a Toyota Highlander, towing capacity 5000 lb. May or not get a equalizing hitch, depending on whether it's available for the TT and the cost. So, assume there isn't one.

Only two people in the TV, and only stuff for two in the TT. Nothing especially heavy, just regular travel stuff.

UVW + CCC (cargo carrying capacity) on the trailer is 3900. Assuming I don't exceed this, and the TV is lightly loaded, it seems I have a margin of about 1100 lbs.

Am I OK?

Probably okay, but your margin might be tighter than you think.  Firstly, UVW is a somewhat useless figure.  Nobody travels with nothing, and that weight may or may not include add-ons or dealer options (furniture upgrades, roof A/C, generator, etc.) that bear considerable weight. 

Secondly, you will want a weight-distributing hitch.  They are not model specific (you wondered if one is "available for the TT") so you CAN find one that will fit your trailer's hitch and the Highlander's receiver, but there are a few different styles of WDH that you can study up on.  Whether or not a WDH is included with the trailer would be a matter of negotiation with a dealer, if you buy that route.  Don't be afraid to shop gently used from a private seller... many of us (myself included) have purchased that way, and you'll save a TON of money.

As far as CCC, even for just two people the weight of "stuff" can add up quickly.  Clothing, food, dishes, camping chairs, firewood, all of that equals weight.  But you are using the right number to estimate, the max rated trailer load of 3900#... somewhere that should be listed as the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) of the trailer, if it is UVW + CCC.

Good questions and keep asking more!  :)

I agree with Scott!

Depending on the model year of your vehicle, that 5000# capacity applies to a lightly optioned or NO OPTIONS vehicle, 150# driver or 150# each driver and one passenger,  NO CARGO.  If you have a nicely optioned Highlander, your real number will be less.

Based on this and the 3900 GVWR and only two people, you are likely okay, but with precious little to spare. 
The WD hitch is a MUST!!  It is NOT trailer or vehicle specific.

You will know you need the WD Hitch the moment a Semi  comes up behind you and passes you on the left going 65-70 mph and the trailer wags the rear of your tiny little truck.  Even though the trailer is smaller, it still will react to air just like a huge sail.

An Equalizer 4 Point Sway Control Hitch  is more than worth the money.  Do not let a dealer sell you one and then  charge you an arm and a leg to install it.  They ARE NOT HARD to install correctly.  The one to fit your trailer will most likely run under $600.  I have a 10,000 lb trailer and a 14,000 lb Equalizer, so I would recommend you get at least a  5,000-8,000 lb hitch.

Here is the one you most likely could use.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Equal-i-zer/EQ37060ET.html

And just be aware... a WDH does not increase your towing capacity.  It just moves some of the trailer's tongue weight from the Highlander's rear axle, and pushes it up through the vehicle frame and to the front axle.  That levels out the whole rig, and makes it more stable for towing.  Most WDH's setups also include some kind of anti-sway device, which keeps your trailer tracking in a straight line and is a huge help also.

We tow a Livin Lite 6 x 15 with a Toyota Highlander.  We have the older model with the lighter axles so our dry weight is 2970 pounds.  We often haul a Goldwing up to the mountains putting us right at our 4,400 max weight (by the way Livin Lite put heavier axles on the 2016 model and brought the weight up). 

We have no complaints with power, handling or any other concern.  I'm assuming you have the 3.5 liter engine with a towing package rated to 5K with a 500 pound tongue weight (if not than do not tow with a 2.7 liter engine).  I guess the real concern is where are you towing?  East of the Mississippi there are not many significant mountains and we tow from Florida to the Blue Ridge Mountains all the time.  I don't think I would want to tackle the Rocky Mountains or the Sierra Nevadas.

Our equipment includes a Blue Ox Weight distribution bars and a Prodigy brake controller.  We shift into 4th gear which is 3,000 RPM and 70 mph (which the Highlander can easily do on level ground but ST trailer tires are rated at 65 so I have to mind my on throttle setting).  In the mountains the Highlander with trailer in tow we actually pass 18 wheelers.  Likewise if I'm slowing for a freeway exit and an 18 wheeler is passing I can feel just a little bit of a push toward the 18 wheeler (since the push starts at the trailer and if the trailer goes right than the tow vehicle goes left).  It is not alarming, just something to know.  There has only been one wind situation where I decided that 55-60 mph was a safer speed to drive due to heavy side guesting winds but that was a very windy day.  Be sure to check all your equipment before departure and have all the tires at max air pressure (helps reduce rolling resistance).

Best of luck with your towing experience.   

Back
Top Bottom