question about roads into Death Valley from the east

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys!

I live in Las Vegas and a friend of mine is flying out to do some camping with me. He really wants to see Death Valley and I haven't been to DV for many decades. And never with a TT. My main question is about the roads into the park. Driving from Las Vegas, there are a number of different ways into the park. Does anyone have a favorite?

Welcome to The RV Forum!

The most direct route is going out to Pahrump from either the north or south end, then taking Bell Vista Rd. from the north end of Pahrump over to Death Valley Junction and following CA 190 to the Furnace Creek park headquarters.

Bell Vista is a good road and saves about 30 miles compared to taking the state highway to Shoshone and heading north from there.  You'll see a sign in Pahrump pointing it out as the route to Death Valley National Park and the Ash Meadows Wildlife Refuge.

Taking US 95 north to Beatty and then into the park is also about 20 miles further than the Pahrump/Bell Vista route.

I used to live in Las Vegas and I have been to Death Valley many times. My favorite route is to take 160 to Pahrump then Bell Vista Road to Death Valley Junction then 190 into Furnace Creek. My favorite campground is Sunset. It is basically a parking lot but it is centrally located in the largest National Park in the lower 48. It is really beautiful there this time of year and the weather is nice. I am jealous. I see Lou got here just before I did with the same route. Lou drove me to the Race Track one year.

Just up the hill from Sunset. Its Texas Springs. The view is awesome and no generators allowed...so its clean air and peacefull....Have fun!!

If you have time, stop at Ash Meadows. The visitor center was very good, and they have some interesting historical areas. Not suited to the trailer except for the VC itself though.

If you are planning on visiting Scotties Castle it is closed for another year or so because of the heavy flooding damage last year. I think the road to it is now opened but not certain.

Ditto the road through Pahrump to Furnace Creek.  It's a good road.  I also just heard the other day that Artist's Drive is now closed.  They're finally getting around to making more permanent repairs after the last damaging flood.

ArdraF

Not  the question you asked but if you're looking for an away from it all campground in Death Valley, check out Mesquite Spring. We stayed at Stovepipe Wells but drove through Mesquite Spring on our way up to Ubehebe Crater, checking out places for "next time" and loved it. Very remote, yet they have water (not at the individual sites but available) and a dump station. No electric. We are absolutely staying there next time

Thanks guys! I knew about Scotty's Castle as I drive up US95 about once a month and the sign there says it will be closed until sometime in 2019. I don't think the road is open. And thanks for the heads-up on campgrounds!

Anyone who is reading this thread who has not been to Death Valley is probably wondering why anyone would want to visit a place called Death Valley. The worst thing about Death Valley is the name. No one dies there. May through September the heat is obscene. However, the other seven months it is one of the most beautiful and magical places in California. If you have never been there is should be on your bucket list. And Sunset Campground can never be full since they have endless overflow sites. But every time I visited there were hundreds of empty campsites. And the sunsets there are magical. ;D

SeilerBird said:
The worst thing about Death Valley is the name. No one dies there.
Actually, people do die in Death Valley every year. In the summer it is a terribly unforgiving place. Do not travel off the main roads without emergency gear and more water than you think possible. Also you need to use a vehicle appropriate to the conditions; the back roads are not suitable for most passenger cars. It is also absolutely true that it is one of the most beautiful,places around in the late fall/winter/early spring.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

The most direct route is going out to Pahrump from either the north or south end, then taking Bell Vista Rd. from the north end of Pahrump over to Death Valley Junction and following CA 190 to the Furnace Creek park headquarters.

Bell Vista is a good road and saves about 30 miles compared to taking the state highway to Shoshone and heading north from there. You'll see a sign in Pahrump pointing it out as the route to Death Valley National Park and the Ash Meadows Wildlife Refuge.

Taking US 95 north to Beatty and then into the park is also about 20 miles further than the Pahrump/Bell Vista route.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't the original person asking but I too are heading in that direction with a TT and needed some kind of knowledge before driving that way, Thanks again!

Actually, people do die in Death Valley every year. In the summer it is a terribly unforgiving place. Do not travel off the main roads without emergency gear and more water than you think possible. Also you need to use a vehicle appropriate to the conditions; the back roads are not suitable for most passenger cars. It is also absolutely true that it is one of the most beautiful,places around in the late fall/winter/early spring.
You're correct - but folks die everywhere, also. Just to bolster this thread; When at home or when traveling the states we always have rain coats/wind breakers, water, thermal blankets, towels, swim gear, umbrella, folding chairs, hats, tire pump, jumper cables, tow strap, ropes, small tarp, folding shovel, extinguisher and small first aid kit in our Cherokee Trailhawk toad. We've seldom needed most of the equipment - but if we break down or get stuck while going off road (or one) we'll die in comfort!

Seriously fellow travelers - when traveling anywhere it always makes sense to be prepared. It's much easier to wait for a tow truck when you have water, umbrella and folding chairs as you wait three hours...

Ditto on stopping at Ash Meadows. It is a dirt road, but call the visitor center to ask which of the two routes into it is best. There is a boardwalk behind the visitor center that will take you along a tiny stream filled with some tiny pup fish and the clearest water you have ever seen. Also, at the very end are couple of pools of spring water that are an incredible blue color. There are other spring-fed pools there, but they are only accessible to pickup trucks or four-wheel drive vehicles, not motorhomes like mine. Someday, I need to rent a pickup truck so I can explore this unique place.

Also, Death Valley can be very cold in December and January, but that is a very good time to visit. I was there one year where it got below freezing every night, and I have a photo of ice on Furnace Creek! I tried to walk around a volcanic crater in Death Valley on that trip, but even bundled up in long pants, sweatshirt, and a hooded winter jacket, it was too windy and cold, so I gave up! On the other hand, days were sunny and pleasant most of the time. There are also some sand dunes you can walk on!

I like the electric hookup sites at Furnace Creek, but they fill up fast, even in winter.

If you are planning on visiting Scotties Castle it is closed for another year or so because of the heavy flooding damage last year. I think the road to it is now opened but not certain.
I visited Scotty's in the mid 70's with a couple of buddies. ROAD TRIP like no other, for us anyway. At Scotty's we walked around inside and out for nearly a half hour. Never saw a soul. We went into the bar and hung out for 10 minutes or so and still no one. What the heck....lets make some drinks. We stepped behind the bar and had at it. After the bev's we went back outside and walked around a little more before leaving. In total we were there for nearly an hour without seeing anyone. Nice visit and self guided tour. The rest of the trip was nearly as strange. Bad Water, Devil's Golf Course, Zabriskie Point, Furnace Creek and it's golf course and of course, streaking the dunes. They all left many memories that have lasted all these years. Seems the Sherif knew exactly what us young ones were up to the whole time. He came into the Bar near the end of our trip and sat with us. He then began to tell us most everything we had been doing all week. The only thing that pissed him off was the fact that we had driven off road one day. He said, " If I see that happen again we would be in serious trouble". It didn't. These many years later, with my new to me RV, I'm ready to make my second trip back to DV. I'll respect it totally

Back
Top Bottom