Are old trailers likely to have structural issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyKae

I'm looking at an old 1950s aluminum Spartan Spartanette trailer. If I were to do anything with it, I would tear everything down to the "studs" and add insulation and redo the interior from there. How do I check for "structural" issues? Are there likely to be any? Axels and such? It's cheap, about $600. Needs new wheels, lights, etc.

unless you are doing all the work and have the expertise to do it,it will be the biggest money pit you ever seen and still have a sixty  plus year old rv. take the money you were planning on spending and get something already to go.you will be time and lots of money ahead

My guess is you would have more  structural troubles with a brand new 40 footer after towing it at 70 MPH for a thousand miles  then you would have with that one.
I am not even planning on moving my 2016 40 footer and it is falling apart.

Jack L

It definitely will be a labor of love. If it's something you will enjoy doing and you don't worry about trying to get your money back out of it, I'd say go for it. If folks didn't take on projects like yours, there wouldn't be any neat classic vehicles out there for folks to enjoy.

I purchased a '51 Royal Spartanette. Started on it last year.  Well worth saving the Spartans.  I've been checking out other owner of Spartans.  Most common issue I've seen is the trailer tongue has cracks and needs reinforcement and is also a little short to make tight turns.  Other issue is these trailers were designed for trailer parks and not for off-grid.  Major cost to retrofit for basic systems like holding tanks and electric.

Back
Top Bottom