Using your Class B as your commuter vehicle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dara

Does anyone use their Class B as their day to day commuter vehicle?  I'm sure gas mileage is a factor but how much fun would it be to have your house follow you everywhere you go?  ;D

I see them from time to time in my work place parking lot.  But usualy on a Friday to head str8 out.  Or used as a back up vehicle when the main commuter vehical is down

That's a lot of miles and additional maintenance. Throw in the lousy gas mileage and the fun factor doesn't last very long.

I used a small Class C to commute for a while up in the San Francisco Bay Area.  My commute was over an hour without traffic, it could turn into 2 or 3 hours or longer if the freeways backed up.

When the freeway slowed to a crawl, I would take the nearest off-ramp, find a place to park and make my dinner, read a book or watch a DVD until traffic started moving again.  Then head home at a leisurely pace.

Yes, gas mileage sucked but I probably would have burned almost as much gas sitting in traffic in a smaller car. 

We used our Winnebago ERA as our main means of transportation for a couple of years when we lived 25-30 miles out.  We've since moved to "the big city" and don't use it that way quite so much.  But, having a restroom follow us old folks around is quite useful even in town.

my commute is only about 14 miles per wkday RT.  and i'm seeing that some of the nicer B's have 20-25 mpg, which isn't bad at all.  but they are out of budget.  i like them though because i don't have to worry about parking it anywhere, especially at home.  and how awesome would it be to say, to my boss, i'm going to go lie down on my lunch. LOL he'll be jealous.

but correct me if i'm wrong, if i did get a loan for one of these (any of the MH actually), that i can deduct the interest on my taxes every year like my mortgage. i could even use this as a mobile office and deduct more taxes.

It would appeal to me....  My c is just too big for it to make sense, but a small B..... good stuff.

I have a friend who's an anesthesiologist.  He used to have a rather large slide in truck camper.  He said he would sometimes park it at the hospital when he was on duty..... or I guess more accurately "on-call"  ;D

We had an 11.5' Lance Camper on a 91 DRW F-350.. It was my DD (24 miles RT) for 11 years. Used it for routine shopping trips too.. nice to have a Potty right there with us, as well as a quiet place to eat... if Fast Food was in order. Had a crawl thru boot.. Handy Rig.

Sold it with 290K on it. We still talk about how Handy that combo was.. to this day. Miss it at times too.

I use my Pleasure-Way as a regular vehicle quite often. It nothing but a 1 ton van. If I need to haul some stuff and keep it out of wind and rain I use it. And lots of times i'll just drive it

If I haven't driven my 21' Chinook in the past 2-3 weeks, I'll take it to work or off on an errand just to keep it limbered up. This also serves as part of my vehicle check out before I head off on a trip.

From 1982 through 1992 while I was teaching at many colleges, I commuted in a 1980 VW Vanagon. Some of my teaching was daytime with a night course. I would take a nap between courses, sometimes at different colleges.

I think a real advantage would be the fact you have a toilet with you. I've been stuck in a few traffic jams and would have paid to use someone's toilet.

The cost of having to buy and maintain a second car to commute would be a lot more than the cost of fuel for the class B.

Dara said:
my commute is only about 14 miles per wkday RT.  and i'm seeing that some of the nicer B's have 20-25 mpg, which isn't bad at all.  but they are out of budget.  i like them though because i don't have to worry about parking it anywhere, especially at home.  and how awesome would it be to say, to my boss, i'm going to go lie down on my lunch. LOL he'll be jealous.

but correct me if i'm wrong, if i did get a loan for one of these (any of the MH actually), that i can deduct the interest on my taxes every year like my mortgage. i could even use this as a mobile office and deduct more taxes.

Dara
At one time the interest paid on a loan for an RV was deductible.... (but only if/when the RV met the IRS's description/definition of a "2nd home").
I don't know if  that is still true.... but any good tax accountant will.

My son-in-law is a new deputy sheriff.      He's working 5 - 16 hour days  (mandatory)  at the jail for the next 7 years.

he says the staff parking lot if full of class B's with cops sleeping in them.

TonyDtorch said:
My son-in-law is a new deputy sheriff.      He's working 5 - 16 hour days  (mandatory)  at the jail for the next 7 years.

he says the staff parking lot if full of class B's with cops sleeping in them.

Dang....You sure he isn't in there? That's a long sentence.

Arch Hoagland said:
Dang....You sure he isn't in there? That's a long sentence.

essentially he is,  a different color uniform and he sends a $160k check home every year.

it's hard work for hard money.

Back
Top Bottom