Redo of front TV 2000 Winnie Ultimate Advantage 38K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobwerni

# 1= Replaced the old Sony and have a new 32" Flat screen up there. The store told me that the new TV would not have enough power to run the factory 7 speaker sound system. The old TV had a small grey ear phone jack that the surround sound was plugged into and worked fine. The new TV has the same but maybe, a whisper comes out when volume on high. Do I buy a small plug in amp that will power the speakers?
# 2= I have the toggle switch to choose between TV or RADIO for sound to speakers. The top switch on dash POWERS the radio. Today I played a CD through the radio and the speakers began to kick in and out and crack like a channel was failing in the radio. I know.... 17 year old Sony radio. I want to replace the radio. If I got rid of the Sony Black and White rear camera monitor also, I could look into a whole layout with new "sight and sound." ANY IDEAS??
LAST question ....If I put a color camera with the B & W monitor would I get color OR a color monitor with a B&W camera????

Thank you.  Bob

Interfacing current TVs with what passed for surround sound 17 years ago is 'tricky'.  Mine was easy compared to what Winnie did and I opted to replace the whole system.  Getting audio from the TV to the sound system is done with an fiber optic cable.  That single cable can carry 2, 5, or 7 channels of audio.  Maybe more by now.  I did one such conversion on a Winnie Journey but it didn't use an earphone jack.  I don't think many of the newer TVs even have earphone jacks anymore.  I installed a LG tv and an matching blue ray 5.1 home theater player.

The best way to make a rear view system work is to not mix & match.  But some combinations do work.  I used a Weldex color monitor with a Weldex B&W camera for a year or so.  The gotcha with that combination is that the image has to be flipped to appear normal on the monitor.

Good luck with your project.

hard to believe the speaker output on the old TV is any different than the new - but I'm no expert as I'm lucky to get everything to work at the same time :)

The fiber optic output is probably the key - run from the TV to a new 5 or 7 channel sound system using existing speakers. 

Your TV doesn't directly drive the speakers, it probably drives an amplifier called "QSurround" - pretty sure Winnebago was using them in 2000. I have one in my '05. You can verify what you have by looking at your TV wiring diagram available on the Winnie website (links above in the Winnebago and Chassis resources thread).

BTW, if you indeed have a "QSurround" - it's not a 5.1 Surround amplifier. It is fed with left/right audio so you get basically a stereo amplifier driving a bunch of little cube speakers. Here's my write-up when I replaced my glass TV. I also have a write-up on how to modify a TV to provide variable line-level left/right audio if you want to keep the QSurround.

Backup cam questions - call Tim at rvcams.com. He's a great source for parts, complete systems and technical assistance.

Back
Top Bottom