Is a heat pump part of an air con unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

stephenm

Saw a thread earlier where someone mentioned a
heat pump. Is this part of an air con unit? If so is it only certain units that have one?

Thanks,

Thanks for that.

How will I know if my unit has one?

I have heat and cold setting on my remote. I thought the heat controlled the furnace.

stephenm said:
I have heat and cold setting on my remote. I thought the heat controlled the furnace.

It most likely does.  A heat pump is merely the air conditioner working backwards - instead of blowing cool air into the RV and dumping the heat outside, it runs the other way, blowing warm air into the RV.

If you have a ceiling mounted air conditioner, it's unlikely you have a heat pump.  They're mainly on basement units.

Some air conditioners have an electric heating strip that can blow warm air into the RV, but these mostly have the air conditioner controls on the ceiling unit, not on a remote.

In either case, the warm air would come out of the ceiling air conditioning vents, not the floor registers.

Thanks Lou,

My air con units are roof mounted.

No big deal as I have 1200w oil filled heater we use when at campgrounds, it's does a nice job of taking the chill out of the air.

It may still be a heat pump, I have a roof mounted 13,500 btu Dometic heat pump / air conditioner plus an in floor Suburban propane furnace.  The downside to the heatpump is it stops working when the temperature drops below about 37 degrees F (the 15,000 btu Dometic has a special fan off defrost cycle mode and keeps working down to about 28F, but at greatly diminished efficiency).

The rig is in storage but have the manuals here, it says it's Carrier Air V. I will call Thor and ask them.

If you have a ceiling mounted air conditioner, it's unlikely you have a heat pump.  They're mainly on basement units.

Not really. While basement units are nearly always heat pumps, roof units may or may not be. Most mid and high end RV models with roof air have a heat pump as standard or an option. Lower priced models typically are a/c only.

If the ceiling unit blows warm air when the thermostat is set to heat, it is a heat pump. If the heat comes from a different place, e.g. floor or wall outlets, it is probably either propane furnace or a hydronic heat system, (Aqauhot or similar).

Thanks Gary, I will test it out next time I am at the coach.

stephenm said:

Is that a Carrier Air V?  (If so I have the same)... On My RV the front A/C controlled the furnace... Alas, it no longer does that (I have a nice wall thermostat that does now) but there are options. and thus your millage may vary.

I do not know if Carrier made a heat pump.. (NOTE: They no longer make anything for RV use and that includes spare parts). but if they did, that would be the setting.

If you have the optional "Heat Strips" (Electric heaters) in the A/C that would be the button.

And if none of the above, the Carrier unit had a relay to control the furnace.

I much prefer the wall unit for furnace control.

It sure is a Carrier Air V John.

Why do you prefer the wall control over the remote?

Back
Top Bottom