RV garage homes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindesu

We are working on the 4 year retirement plan. We hope to be full-timers or at least semi-fulltimers after selling the big house. However, I am afraid that eventually, I will want someplace to land that isn't on wheels.  I have looked at a few places that have small homes, often in a lake community.  Some have RV garages or awnings, some don't. Would love it to be in the South Central part of the US as that it where family is. Anyone have information about such communities, positive or negative.

When I was shopping for my motorhome I almost bought a unit from an elderly couple that owned a lot at a large RV / golf community in the mountains in the Carolinas.  Over the course of a few weeks we exchanged several emails, but could not work out some logistical issues as the motorhome had not been driven in a couple of years and the brakes had locked up.  The lot where they kept their motorhome featured sort of a self contained day room / living room complete with climate control that doubled or tripled the living space of the RV.

p.s. I just looked up one of my old emails, the location was Linville Land Harbor

Thanks for the info.  I found a lake community north of Houston in the area of Conroe Lake that has small homes, roughly 1100 SF. They don't allow the RV to be parked on the lot, but they do have an storage lot available for the RV itself, renting for about $50 per month. When and if we do this, the advantage would be that when we are on the road, the property would be more safe. And, we probably could then arrange for the lawn to be mowed while we are away.  I know there are a couple other places that are similar in Texas, down near the coast. One is around Brownsville, but not sure I want to be that close to the border.

There are plenty of those types of homes in Central Florida. Google motorcoach communities. We live in one and all sites have full hookups. Some people live in their coach and use the casita as extra space when family visits, or storage, or just for a bigger kitchen. We live in our casita and use the coach for an office and the laundry. When family visits, we give them the casita and sleep in the coach. Advantage is as you said, security when you are gone, is a big factor. Plus gives us a home base and we can claim Homestead Exemption on taxes.

Thanks, I will check out these communities, Dream Chasers!  I wish I could find something like this in the South Central area, as that is where friends and family are.  Maybe, I need to start one!!!

New to the site, but your dilemma is my business plan. Assume you travel 6-7 months.  Maybe more, maybe less.  Ultimately you need a goal.  Remember as a kid playing tag? That's what I mean by goal.  A place to get your eyes off the road and plan for the next season.  Your goal can keep your class A motor home secure indoors, have all the service hook ups, room for your tag along trailer and vehicle indoors and as a bonus you have a micro suite (550 sf or so) with all the service your used to in a house environment.  This is not a RV park with fancy landscape and stuffed with amenities, it is more like a airplane hanger.  What are your thoughts on this vs some house with a garage your looking for?  Just curious.

You may need to think outside the box to find what you want.  For example I know of a small house near where I live in western Louisiana that recently sold for under $100,000 with a large barn (I would guess at least a 60x80 ft barn) on 2 or 3 acres of land.  In this case it was an old farm house where the land owner wanted to keep the 300+ acres of farm land, and just sell off the small plot around the older house.

We have friends who live in a park in Mission, Texas.  They own their lot and casita and enjoy the activities and the golf course.  Sorry I don't remember the name but there are several such parks in that general area.

Back
Top Bottom