Florida reservations & recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickGrey

Hello folks!
First post on the forum, thanks for such a great resource!

My wife, myself and our 4 year old son are flying over from chilly Scotland to RV around Florida for ten days from March 1st.

I'd like to know whether we should be making reservations now or can we leave it until a day or so before and phone ahead, leaving more flexibility in our schedule? I'm guessing reservations for the Keys but not sure about elsewhere.

We haven't RV'd before.

We think St Pete Beach, Sanibel Island, the Everglades and then the Keys looks like a good route. Pick up and return Orlando (we're comfortable with long drives).

We realise it is Spring Break time of year - I think my party years are behind me :D - but we're not sure if that will impact how busy RV parks are.

Also, if anyone can recommend parks in those areas, it would be much appreciated.

Right, back to scraping snow off the car and counting the days.

Cheers!
Patrick

Florida's warm winter draws numerous visitors, so I would recommend reservations in those places, all of which are extremely popular and RV sites relatively scarce. However, the winter season begins to wind down in March, so you might get by without them. If you were headed to central Florida (other than Orlando), sites would probably be a bit more available. There are just as many visitors in central and even northern Florida, but there are a lot more RV parks.

Thanks for the quick reply! Looks like we should book ahead (better now than days before I guess). Cheers.

Patrick,
We are currently enjoying the 80 warmth in Florida.  Needed to change a reservation we had made for March.  There were few sites available in state parks, the private campgrounds are 2 to3 times more  expensive (but worth it to some people).  When looking for sites keep in mind municipal (city or county) parks.  They are often overlooked.  I wouldn't hold my breath for a site in the keys.  We book that 11 months in advance...

Enjoy!

A specific recommendation I would offer is Fort DeSoto Park in Tampa Bay.  It is a county park with 238 sites.
www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

I live in North FL, and have been suprised how hard it is to get sites last minute on weekends.
It's better in the state parks that more remote
and I suppose during the week it's likely easier
but around holiday weekends forget it
and the state parks in the keys are very hard to get.  I'm not so sure about the private RV parks there.

Dear all,
thank you very much for the advice, it is really appreciated.
Cheers,
Patrick

Planning ahead is always recommended when you can... sometimes you'll be RV traveling along and just need a place quickly.  For that, on-the-road websites/apps like Allstays and RV Parky come in handy.  But if you want a certain location with certain features, then by all means make advance reservations.  Especially with the length of trip you are making to get to Florida!  ;)

Back
Top Bottom