Mounting Skid Wheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super8mm

When I bought this 5er one of the metal skids was bent up and after I backed it up my drive the other one is now bent sooo what to do.

I am thinking of putting Skid Wheels under it but where do the mount?  Do they mount to the rear of the frame or do they mount to the square bumper tube?

Thanks

To work without damage they need to be mounted to the frame.  But before you do that, you might look into raising the trailer to avoid damage.

Sounds like the driveway is the problem.  Skid wheels on the bumper are no better than the bumper attachment to the camper - usually pretty weak.  The skid wheels need to be on the frame.

How level is the FW when hitched to the truck?  If the front is high, an axle flip may help both issues.  Mount the axles BELOW the springs.

Thanks guys, when hooked up the 5er sits pretty level and pulls good.  I brought it home in a 30 mph cross wind with gust to about 40, it rolled along good at 60 mph.

the street and drive are the problem, there is a storm drain about 10' from the drive so with the crown of the street for the drain and my drive drops 10" in 10 ' it drug the skid things that were there, they were extended probably 6" to 8" below the frame.  When I pulled out nothing was dragging but it was close.

After being in the snow removal business for many years and running polyurethane cutting edges on some of our snow plows, I wonder if a block of poly bolted to the frame would be the better way to go rather than steel sliders or wheels?

The poly cutting edges we used were typically on a plow for 3 seasons before it needed to be replaced due to wear. I bet they saw more abrasive use in one night than they would see in a lifetime on an RV.

Thanks lone_star_dsl.  that does sound like a good idea, I have a lot of wood working saws and stuff so I could just cut a taper on both ends and drill them out for bolt holes.

Cool idea  :)

Back
Top Bottom