Leaving the valve on the grey tank open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have finally figured out that by doing this I was giving cockroaches a perfect route into my RV. They can live in drains and at night I was finding several cockroaches in my sink.

SeilerBird said:
Evidently they do. Either that or take a submarine. ;D

Interesting facts about cockroaches: This was taken from a web site.  Roaches can swim and hold their breath for 40 minutes. But they breathe through their sides--not their noses--which makes it tough to come up for air.

http://www.roachcom.net/

Rene T said:
Interesting facts about cockroaches: This was taken from a web site.  Roaches can swim and hold their breath for 40 minutes. But they breathe through their sides--not their noses--which makes it tough to come up for air.
Yep, I Googled 'cockroaches entering through drain' and got several hits. I didn't think they could do it either, but evidently they can. Another interesting fact about cockroaches - A cockroach can live for a week without its head. No wonder there are so many of them.

So have you changed your practice and are now closing the grey tank valve and keeping the strainers tightly shut now?

Is this a new problem?
Did you move to your new spot?  Is that when this problem started?

What are you going to do to make sure all of them are out of the grey and black? tank(s)?

RedandSilver said:
So have you changed your practice and are now closing the grey tank valve and keeping the strainers tightly shut now?
Yes, except I have no strainers so I will stop at Walmart tomorrow and buy two of them.

Is this a new problem?
I have been fighting cockroaches for a year now trying every thing I can imagine.
Did you move to your new spot?  Is that when this problem started?
No, I have been in this site over a year and a half.

What are you going to do to make sure all of them are out of the grey and black? tank(s)?
I have been putting Boric acid into the drain and I will keep the tanks closed all the time now. I just walked into the kitchen and for the first time in a long time I was not greeted by a large cockroach standing on the kitchen counter and a few small ones running around in the sink.

Arch Hoagland said:
Didn't you recently throw away a printer because of bugs?
Yes I did. I live in Florida where every square mile has more bugs than there are people in the world. But I am not complaining about the bugs because the bugs are one of the main reasons we have so many birds here. ;D And I am a bird photographer. ;D

SeilerBird said:
Yes I did. I live in Florida where every square mile has more bugs than there are people in the world. But I am not complaining about the bugs because the bugs are one of the main reasons we have so many birds here. ;D And I am a bird photographer. ;D

Now that's what I call looking on the sunny side of life!  Good for you, Tom.  Way to go!

Tom and Margi said:
Now that's what I call looking on the sunny side of life!  Good for you, Tom.  Way to go!
That's not looking on the sunny side of life, that is a fact why I settled here. When Catblaster took me out shopping for an RV park we stopped here first. As we drove around we ran into a Wood Stork, then a pair of Sandhill Cranes and then a Great Blue Heron. At that point I told Will to take me back to the office, I had found home. I love it here, bugs and all. Every place that you can live has natural disasters and downsides to living there. No place is perfect. But for a cranky old bird photographer like me this is heaven. I will not let the bugs deter me.  8)

I would think your cats would keep your RV bug free. I had cats years ago in New Mexico, and they regularly bestowed gifts of headless cockroaches on me.

Tom, I spent three years in Key West in the Navy in the late '60s. For a period of time I had cockroaches in the trunk of my car. It's amazing what a few mostly empty beer cans can attract.

They weren't the problem though. The problem was trying to drive from Miami to Key West without using all of your windshield cleaner fluid during the trip. Those big red ones were POW, SPLAT and wash the windshield!

cadee2c said:
I would think your cats would keep your RV bug free. I had cats years ago in New Mexico, and they regularly bestowed gifts of headless cockroaches on me.
I would think so too. They are not doing their job. They are all too busy sleeping. Maybe I should fire them and hire a new crew :eek:

Quillback 424 said:
Tom, I spent three years in Key West in the Navy in the late '60s. For a period of time I had cockroaches in the trunk of my car. It's amazing what a few mostly empty beer cans can attract.

They weren't the problem though. The problem was trying to drive from Miami to Key West without using all of your windshield cleaner fluid during the trip. Those big red ones were POW, SPLAT and wash the windshield!
Love bugs are the only bugs I have not had problems with since I have lived in Florida. Ants, roaches, gnats, beetles, and wasps have all been an issue so for. 

Back
Top Bottom