Lynches Maritime trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve,

We have a couple of books that have some travel phrases, but your file is a great addition.

In Perce you absolutely must stay at Camping du Phayre.  The owner is called Regis - phone him in advance and tell him we said he has to give you Place 117.

Wish we were with you - it's looking good for 2006 for us.

Terry (now at Lubeck in North Germany, heading for Copenhagen on Friday)

terry nathan said:

It will be really nice to see you two again next year.  Be sure to let us all know of your itinerary so we can arrange our travels to get together.

Terry,

Great suggestion about the CG in Perce!? To correct your typo, it is Camping Du Phare and is listed in most campground guides.? If further contact info is needed by the Lynches, drop me a note.

While there be sure to visit Bonaventure Island, but when choosing a boat for the excursion, there will be about a dozen tour operators at the dock.? Ask for and ensure you take the one that has the largest boat..for comfort and for safety.

Also the tour operator you choose should provide free parking near the dock, as the distance between Camping Du Phare and the dock is too far to walk, and there is no meed for you to pay for parking while on the excursion.

Wear good shoes or hiking boots, take a bottle of water and a lunch as well as you camera with lots of film or memory chips.

Photograph the Rock while on the boat for a unique perspective as well as photographing the wildllife on the way to Bonaventure Island.

Hi,

I hope you'll think about visiting Canso on July 1, 2, 3 for Stanfest. If you are a folk music lover this is a don't miss. The only camping for large motorhomes would be at the Marina. Contact Don Millen. You can find info at www.stanfest.com.  Canso is the oldest fishing port in North America, and a real taste of true rural Nova Scotia. You're in for a treat if you stay at the Marina cause the locals musicians like to jam there all night. You'll be made to feel welcome..... and maybe get some fresh crab that the guys bring in. It's about an hour off the road from Monastery. (on hour and twenty from Antigonish - shop there at the new grocery store on the highway - there is also a new WalMart there). If you prefer to see it on the return, it will be very very quiet. You might also be able to stay at Seabreeze in Fox Island between Guysborough and Canso - it's a really tiny road getting in, but it's such a pretty place. People from 10 miles away spend their summers there.

Please let me know if you are interested in any more info on the area.

Martha

Steve,

When we visited Quebec City we parked in the lot near the ferry. Easy access to the "old city" and not a bad walk to the rest. Don't remember the cost of parking but would guess it might be less than the hotels.

The ferry parking and bus terminal (where the KOA shuttle ends up) are fairly close together.  I would guess the bus terminal is a 10 minute walk to the old city and that the ferry terminal would be maybe 15 minutes.
We do not speak french but had absolutely no problems with the road signs or talking to people.  In the large cities most peoples english is fair to very good.  Over lunch talked to one woman from a small town who was staying in Quebec while her husband had an operation.  Her english was poor.  She took it in school but had not used it for many years, since the village used french.  Even so,  we had fun talking to each other, just had to use basic words and sometimes 2-3 tries.  Every place that had anything to to with tourism, they at least had someone on their staff that was good in english.  Most tours you had your choise of language.

When we stayed at the KOA we didn't know there was a shuttle but we had Terry & Liliane Nathan with us. Since she's very fluent in French we had no problems. :)

terry nathan said:
In Perce you absolutely must stay at Camping du Phayre.  The owner is called Regis - phone him in advance and tell him we said he has to give you Place 117.

Terry (now at Lubeck in North Germany, heading for Copenhagen on Friday)

I knew that Russ had also stayed at Camping Du Phare and I was going to look into it when getting closer. Getting the owners name and what site is best is a great help, thank you very much.

Steve said:
Terry,

Great suggestion about the CG in Perce!  To correct your typo, it is Camping Du Phare and is listed in most campground guides.  If further contact info is needed by the Lynches, drop me a note.

While there be sure to visit Bonaventure Island, but when choosing a boat for the excursion, there will be about a dozen tour operators at the dock.  Ask for and ensure you take the one that has the largest boat..for comfort and for safety.

Also the tour operator you choose should provide free parking near the dock, as the distance between Camping Du Phare and the dock is too far to walk, and there is no meed for you to pay for parking while on the excursion.

Wear good shoes or hiking boots, take a bottle of water and a lunch as well as you camera with lots of film or memory chips.

Photograph the Rock while on the boat for a unique perspective as well as photographing the wildllife on the way to Bonaventure Island.

Thanks for the tips on going to Bonaventure Island, have printed them.

mrsfiddlegirl said:
Hi,

I hope you'll think about visiting Canso on July 1, 2, 3 for Stanfest. If you are a folk music lover this is a don't miss. The only camping for large motorhomes would be at the Marina. Contact Don Millen. You can find info at www.stanfest.com.  Canso is the oldest fishing port in North America, and a real taste of true rural Nova Scotia. You're in for a treat if you stay at the Marina cause the locals musicians like to jam there all night. You'll be made to feel welcome..... and maybe get some fresh crab that the guys bring in. It's about an hour off the road from Monastery. (on hour and twenty from Antigonish - shop there at the new grocery store on the highway - there is also a new WalMart there). If you prefer to see it on the return, it will be very very quiet. You might also be able to stay at Seabreeze in Fox Island between Guysborough and Canso - it's a really tiny road getting in, but it's such a pretty place. People from 10 miles away spend their summers there.

Please let me know if you are interested in any more info on the area.

Martha

Thanks for the info on Canso, but we have reservations in North Sidney for July 1 through July 4.

Jim, Len & Jo

Thanks for the parking tips and the encouragement regarding getting along using english.

Tim and Jan,

We'll be looking forward to your overview of your trip with any updated tips you might add on points of interest you discover.

We expect to be in the Maritimes in early August if all goes well, including some time east of Quebec City in the area of Riviere Du Loup  in  late July.

Tim & Jan,

Great travel logs! Brings back memories of our first and only (so far!!) trip to Nova Scotia and PEI. That was back in the pre RVFORUM days (pre 1993) when we travel with a 1987 Dodge conversion van pulling a 27ft HR Presidential Trailer. Our trips was only two weeks including driving to and from northern Vermont (former home).

Continue to have a great time!

Ken & Sheila

Steve said:
Thanks for posting those...I'm going to read them now!!! :)

Thanks for creating those links. I had created only one log for the month of June, which is what I want for family members and was surprised that there was a size limit, so had to quickly split the log. There may have been something disjointed or duplicated in my rush.

Great trip so far.

Ken & Sheila said:
Tim & Jan,

Great travel logs! Brings back memories of our first and only (so far!!) trip to Nova Scotia and PEI. That was back in the pre RVFORUM days (pre 1993) when we travel with a 1987 Dodge conversion van pulling a 27ft HR Presidential Trailer. Our trips was only two weeks including driving to and from northern Vermont (former home).

Continue to have a great time!

Ken & Sheila

We hope that an extended trip there is in your future plans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom