Looking for weight distribution hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyshell

Signed the docs today and bought a trailer. Its our first hardside travel trailer. Popups before and a small truck. New setup is. 2005 gmc 2500 duramax and a 2017 KZ travel trailer. Trailer is 27' bumper to tip 4600 ish empty and 6000gvwr. Tongue wt dry is 540 so est loaded at 680.

Thinking an 800lb/8000 WD hitch w/ sway control. Dealer wants 580 installed. Etrailer wants 299 for the same hitch. Why with apparently identical designs does one say prevents sway the other says reduces? Round or square bars? Do i need it with this light a trailer and my truck?

Thanks

I like our Husky Centerline WD hitch that we purchased with our 28 ft TT and was dealer installed. It is the 800-1200 rated model. It is noisy in slow low speed sharper turns because it uses friction for the anti-sway but I do not mind the noise. You can search YouTube using the hitch name and fine some good videos. I like the one from Etrailer.com.

I prefer the type of WD hitch that has the sway control built into the head, rather than the secondary friction device alongside.  Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam, Equal-i-zer, etc. Few people get the friction-type sway controls adjusted properly each & every time they tow, and you don't know it until its too late. The Husky Centerline appears to have similar capabilities, but I don't know much about that one.

The dealer price includes installation, so your numbers are not apples-to-apples. There is probably at least an hour of labor time in his price, and maybe another 0.5 hours to get the WD set up (adjusted to the truck once you arrive). Figure dealer labor at about $100/hour.  It's pretty basic wrench-work, though, so you could do it yourself if you  have access to the trailer. Ditto for the adjustment, which will be covered in detail in the WD manual, and that's something you should know how to do anyway. You will surely need to re-adjust once the trailer is loaded.

500-800 lbs of spring bars should be fine. Your truck can probably carry 300-400 lbs without any WD, so it doesn't need much help.

Hour of labor in their price. Dont mind paying that. At the point where I'd rather pay for some things too be done. ?
Don't mind a bit of a markup either, they have overhead. But i don't have to part with my cash to easy either. ?

I was talking to the service mgr about the setup and he asked why i would bother with that light a trailer and that truck. Told him safety.

I would be more focused on the brand & type of hitch to be installed rather than the price vs a discount house. Not that I wouldn't price-compare! However, RV dealers tend to install some arbitrary brand of hitch, one that is the most convenient and profitable for them to sell & install. Not necessarily the best one for your needs.

My guess is that your truck's receiver set up is rated for just 500 lbs without WD, but you should check that.  If it is substantially greater than that, you may not need the WD. But otherwise I agree with you: get the WD even if it is marginally OK without it.

Found a equalizer 4point control WD on Craigs list that is nearly new.  Still has all of the stickers on it. Guy agreed to $300.  Only concern i have now is if it is too big for my application.  https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Equal-i-zer/EQ37100ET.html  30 min drive to pick it up, likely do that tuesday.

tonyshell said:
Signed the docs today and bought a trailer. Its our first hardside travel trailer. Popups before and a small truck. New setup is. 2005 gmc 2500 duramax and a 2017 KZ travel trailer. Trailer is 27' bumper to tip 4600 ish empty and 6000gvwr. Tongue wt dry is 540 so est loaded at 680.

Thinking an 800lb/8000 WD hitch w/ sway control. Dealer wants 580 installed. Etrailer wants 299 for the same hitch. Why with apparently identical designs does one say prevents sway the other says reduces? Round or square bars? Do i need it with this light a trailer and my truck?

Thanks

You may wish to try Craigslist I got a real nice Reese leveling hitch with sway control valued at $375 for $100

Looks like that's what he did, and what I was going to recommend too.  I saw several of 500-1000# TW rated WDH's when I was shopping for one, and actually all I needed was the spring bars (round style) rated for 1400# or 1500#.  Ended up finding them on Ebay and Amazon (bought separate but they match!) from wholesalers.

Tony I think you'll be okay with the 1000# pound capacity bars.  It's more than you need for the current trailer, but this way you'll be all set for the next bigger one.  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom