RV Pirates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think most rvers are into enjoying the current surroundings they are in. That is the reason for going to the added expense of an RV. I also believ most Rvers have weapons to protect their familys should the need arise. talking about things disappearing I had one instance. We were warned when entering Doheny State Beach in Ca. about portable generaters disappearing. My Class C had the Onan genset but it ate gas and was a little loud. Chained up the Honda 2000 watt and felt okay with that. Last night before we were gonna leave it got ripped off. I was NOT a happy camper! Yhe Bozo state ranger was called and he made his ho-hum report..not really giving a poop. To this day I think he and his buddys might of had something to do with this...nothing surprises me anymore.

Not an RV story, but I like to share experiences of situational awareness and leaving uncomfortable situations.
My son and I were touring on bicycles, waiting for a ferry to take us across the river at St. Francisville, LA.
It was unbearable sweltering hot that day. Several vehicles were also waiting for the ferry, including a pickup truck with several boys probably in their late teens.
The boys were huddled several yards away and kept whispering and looking at us. This went on for some time then I heard one boy finally whisper, "NO. Don't do it!"
They started to approach us, as one boy went to the pickup truck and grabbed something from the back.
They were actually offering us each a container of Gatorade. The one boy who objected apparently thought they wouldn't have enough for themselves.
When I finally started breathing again I thanked them profusely.
Moral of the story - there is no perfect system of awareness and safety. You just gotta do the best you can.

I've said it before, but in 70 plus years of camping and RV'ing, we've never lost anything to two legged critters. Those four legged critters are a different story. Especially the little ones that wear masks and the big ones that wear bear skin coats. As said, situational awareness is the key. If a place just doesn't feel right, move on...

If one seriously believes there are RV Pirates, and furtive criminals just waiting to rip you off, and this belief is turning into a paranoia, I would suggest getting professional help. Life is tougher to live more than ever before, and sometimes it can be just too much for some people to deal with on their own. This can lead to behavioral issues, not fun for anyone involved.

Good luck and fair winds in the future.

BRex said:
If one seriously believes there are RV Pirates, and furtive criminals just waiting to rip you off, and this belief is turning into a paranoia, I would suggest getting professional help. Life is tougher to live more than ever before, and sometimes it can be just too much for some people to deal with on their own. This can lead to behavioral issues, not fun for anyone involved.

Good luck and fair winds in the future.

Go back and read the OP. No one is going to extremes here.
It's a valid question from someone new to RV'ing and exploring this mode of travel.
Valery, keep posting any and all questions. Everyone here welcomes your participation.

The only vehicle pirates we have heard of are people responding to ads on Craigs List pulling up in a nice vehicle and asking to drive the vehicle for sale. The unsuspecting person selling the vehicle trust the people to test drive the vehicle only to never see their vehicle again and later finding out that the vehicle left behind was stolen. This mostly happens with motorcycles, dirt bikes and cars but could happen with any type of vehicle.

Valery doesn't sound the least bit paranoid to me.  She's entering a lifestyle with a little cautious trepidation.  Nothing wrong with that.  She asked a valid question and got some really good answers.

Valery said:
Please forgive this question if it is indeed ridiculous.
Please do not apologise for asking any question no matter how dumb or ridiculous you might think it is. There is a gigantic amount of people who read these forums and never post a question. These people are called lurkers. If you ask a question there are dozens of other people who have the same question but are too shy to ask. You are doing them a favor. The only reason any online forum exists is for people to ask and answer questions. We would not be here answering if we did not enjoy the challenge.

In my lifetime of RVing I have had exactly one American flag stolen. It was about one foot square. I leave stuff out all the time without issue. I never lock my door at night. My RV park is dead quiet at night.

Cut to the Chase.

From our 50+ years of doing this...

Valery  (?).. You and Yours are entering (deeper) into a Life Style where 99.5 % of the folks have almost a "Kindred Spirit" toward one another. Professional backgrounds make little difference. We all have a simple common thread that pulls us together: Camping (Rv'n, if you like  ;)).. meeting new people, seeing new places, doing new things.

The Stranger/Neighbor from another State, or Country, can almost be a Friend, in just a few minutes. It's just the way it is.

We tend to care about each other, from the Git Go. Help each other when needed.. with out hesitation. We look out for one another.. in most any respects. Again.. That's Just The Way It Is.

ENJOY.  :) :)

Joe & Rose

BIG JOE said:
Cut to the Chase.

From our 50+ years of doing this...

Valery  (?).. You and Yours are entering (deeper) into a Life Style where 99.5 % of the folks have almost a "Kindred Spirit" toward one another. Professional backgrounds make little difference. We all have a simple common thread that pulls us together: Camping (Rv'n, if you like  ;)).. meeting new people, seeing new places, doing new things.

The Stranger/Neighbor from another State, or Country, can almost be a Friend, in just a few minutes. It's just the way it is.

We tend to care about each other, from the Git Go. Help each other when needed.. with out hesitation. We look out for one another.. in most any respects. Again.. That's Just The Way It Is.
^^^^ Very well stated. :D

I have had neighbor campers perform incredibly kind acts towards me.  When I was sick with the flu and bronchitis in Arizona, and not going out except to put up my awning each morning and take out my trash, I had neighbors offer to take me to an urgent care and pick up groceries for me.  In the Florida Keys, I had a gentleman unscrew my damaged antenna (don't ask--it was all about a low tree) which involved his getting out and climbing up on a tall ladder. Had a French Canadian in Vermont use his car jack to bend my bike rack back into shape.  (Another pesky tree)  Someone else once drove out to two hardware stores to get me the right electrical connection. 

Had a camp host fix my TV once.  This included climbing on a bunk and reaching in a very difficult place.  And I could go on and on.  I have also helped put an antenna down for someone who had left for the day when a high wind came up.

The point is that I have found that fellow campers are incredibly helpful and friendly and do look after each other, so even though I travel alone I never really feel alone. 

Thank you, everyone, for the continued helpful advice, tips, welcome and encouragement. 

I have already received so much good information from the people here and it is much appreciated. I'm so glad I found this forum.  :) :)

SeilerBird said:
^^^^ Very well stated. :D

I agree and it sounds like heaven.  :)

This is where my husband is going to fit in so very well.  He is a friendly, outgoing, person who enjoys the company of others and is well-liked; just an easy-going, relaxed kind of guy. 

Sounds like a wonderful environment.  Mellow, peaceful, non-judgmental.  :)

aguablanco said:
The pirates were scared off long ago by the Klingons.
RichH

That works. I've been wanting to learn Klingon, anyway.  ;)

BinaryBob said:
yI'el !
qaqIHmo' jIQuch !

(Welcome! Pleased to meet you! )

Whoa! I KNEW it!  RV'ers ARE the coolest people on the planet. Would you consider an apprentice?  lol

No Pirates in my 50 or so years of camping.  Do serial killers count?
Started in tents, than a van, then a class B, and now a C.
Back in the 70s we were tent camping along a river and a serial killer killed a camper up the road from us during the night. 
State Police woke us early in the morning and told us we had to leave as they were still hunting for him.
They waited around with us while we packed up and helped us load our car.  Went through a couple of road blocks on the way out of the area.

Since then only a couple of run-ins with bears. Over the years we've learned from those around us bears like easy open tents and Hybrid Trailers, not so much our hardshell C.

Back
Top Bottom