RV Pirates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sunflowers said:
Thank you for that reassurance! I guess it is more the fact that Bears are not part of life over here and we only see the bad stuff on the TV. We are RV'ing in NY, Washington and Niagra so I am presuming we won't see any!

There are plenty of bears in upstate NY... :)

NY_Dutch said:
There are plenty of bears in upstate NY... :)

We are on a pretty tight schedule but have a few days in Niagara Falls so might be able to do a day trip to Allegany State Park and see if we spot any!

sunflowers said:
We are on a pretty tight schedule but have a few days in Niagara Falls so might be able to do a day trip to Allegany State Park and see if we spot any!

Small town landfills are sometimes a popular gathering spot among the indigenous bear population. :)

sunflowers said:
If you wish to do that then stop by or call the local visitor center and ask where bears are being spotted. Do not attempt to see them by hiking, that is like finding a needle in a haystack. You want to drive around the area and look for a bunch of cars pulled over in one spot and everyone out of their cars gawking. It is called a bear jam. Of course it might be a wolf jam or an elk jam. :D

Most RVers are good respectable people that willing to help others.  There still can be crime at campgrounds but I feel safe.  During one trip someone had broken into a trailer in mid day while other campers were out and about.  The rangers thought it might had been a drifter.

The funniest "pirate" I ever saw was a chipmunk.  I sit in my motorhome and work online often.  One day, my neighbors left for the day and left a very large bag of dog food next to their trailer.  All day long, I watched this little guy make trips back and forth from his nest or storage spot to this wonderful bag of food, carrying kibble in his cheeks.  He was doing his absolute best to empty that bag before they got home!  I would not have dreamed of stopping this little industrious guy!  Hopefully, the campers learned to put dog food away inside from then on.

Loud neighbors, often kids (20-30 year-old humans) who borrowed their parents RV for the weekend are the closest thing to Pirates I have seen.  They can be annoying but they are generally just kids and they will usually comply with request to keep it down. 

jeffbrown said:
Loud neighbors, often kids (20-30 year-old humans) who borrowed their parents RV for the weekend are the closest thing to Pirates I have seen.  They can be annoying but they are generally just kids and they will usually comply with request to keep it down.

Hey hey. Some of us "kids" own our rvs thank you.

I would like to add that once on a trip to Texas the most rambunctious group in campground was a group of three or four motorhomes traveling together, driven by Retireds (65+ year old humans) who were laughing and yelling and carrying on into the night. I however was in bed by 9:30  ;D

A couple of years ago at the Mesa Verde National Park campground, we were told to disconnect out water hoses at dusk.  The local black bear had discovered in that very dry area that the best way to get a drink of fresh, cool water was to bite into a water hose!  Several people had had their showers cut short, but the bear had not harmed anyone other than leaving them soapy.

Hey hey. Some of us "kids" own our rvs thank you.

I would like to add that once on a trip to Texas the most rambunctious group in campground was a group of three or four motorhomes traveling together, driven by Retireds (65+ year old humans) who were laughing and yelling and carrying on into the night. I however was in bed by 9:30  ;D

Most of us kids who can afford our own RV are a bit more respectful than the ones who are "borrowing" or renting them.  We began our RV'ing in our very early 30's. 

We've never had any issues.  That said - we're pretty careful about keeping a tidy campsite with nothing of much value out and easily accessible to anybody.  We keep things like bicycles and kayaks secured to immovable objects.  We lock the coach and toad whenever we step away from our site.  Keeping with the "pirate" theme - we're prepared to repel any unwanted boarders if such drastic need were to arise. 

We have yet to feel even remotely "threatened" in any of the parks we've stayed at.  Every now and then, we find ourselves a little closer to a road than we care to be - but never have we had that "we need to get outta here!" sense.

In today's world - you have to give a little thought to security - both for your stuff as well as for your personal security.  Fortunately, our experience in the RVing world has been that it has been a none issue.

Agree with Norman. I usually take reasonable precautions to keep the opportunists moving along. Most of what is lost at a campsite is due to lax precautions. My stuff is by no means impossible to get to, but it won't be easy.

Not too long after this thread was started, I was teasing the DH about being so paranoid cause he was complaining about me leaving the jeep unlocked overnight. I brought up this thread for him and said RV people are different. That very night, we had the center caps stolen off all four of our wheels. He wont let me live that one down.  :eek:

We were very surprised one evening to have a knock at our door when staying at a campground in Oregon - one we've stayed at many times.  The visitor was a local cop who asked if we were the ones who had reported a stolen white MDX.  We had one right there on our site.  We said no and that it must have been someone else.  He said thanks anyway and be sure to lock ours up because one had been stolen right off someone's site earlier that day.  Never heard any more about it, but it just goes to show that some people are really bold.  A couple of years ago there was a spate of robberies in Las Vegas where people who left their garage doors open had their cars stolen right out of the garage.  I think they finally caught the thieves but can you imagine doing that?

ArdraF

I leave my stuff out all the time.
I have expensive bikes that I will cable lock, but with all the powerful battery operated tools now, these are easily broken.
At least it will deter any drive-by thieves. Haven't had a problem.

SargeW said:
Many thieves are emboldened by weak prosecutions, early releases, and lack of aggressive enforcement.  Kind of a sign  of the times.

So true.  I am a fan of the First 48, a TV show that follows homicide detectives on actual cases.  At the end the case, they publish the sentence handed down and it is really a shock to see how many light sentences ( 5-8 years) are given for murders and how many are plea deals.

cadee2c said:
Not too long after this thread was started, I was teasing the DH about being so paranoid cause he was complaining about me leaving the jeep unlocked overnight. I brought up this thread for him and said RV people are different. That very night, we had the center caps stolen off all four of our wheels. He wont let me live that one down.  :eek:

The night the Jeep was stolen, I had pulled the keys and just dropped them in the floorboards.  Product of living for 21 years back in the woods, a mile off the pavement.
My wife also locked the m/h door that night and I gave her a hard time about it.  There's the one I won't live down.

Out of sight, out of mind.

We have never had any problems but this past year upgraded the trailer we tow the Harleys in. We had an open trailer for our old bikes but decided that we needed to go to an enclosed trailer for the new ones to protect them from road crap and to keep them out of sight.  My wife thought since we were spending a lot of money on the trailer to have every thing just right for the bikes we should get it in the optional orange and black Harley colors with the big logo.  I decided to make it as plain on the outside as I could so it didn't advertise what was in it and got it in plain white.

Good for you.  I always thought it was silly to get an enclosed trailer and paste a 4' bar and shield across the side of it.  I also like the idea of buying a Gold Wing cover to hid the bike instead of one with Harley on it.

Back
Top Bottom