Tank leve indicator don't work on black tank. What's the alternative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Just like most people, the level indicator for the black tank in my RV is not accurate at all. What I've found in my situation is that when it gets close to being full, whenever I flush there seems to be a bubble which comes up by the water as it's dropping into the tank.  Also the sound is a little different. I can't see the level in the tank because I have two 45 degree elbows it flows through before it drops into the tank. This may be helpful for some other people. We can go about 9 days before we need to dump. 

I also have two 90 degree bends between the bottom of the toilet and the top of the tank. I just keep on using the toilet until I can see the water level in the pipes beneath the tank when I flush it. Then I dump.

SeilerBird said:
I also have two 90 degree bends between the bottom of the toilet and the top of the tank. I just keep on using the toilet until I can see the water level in the pipes beneath the tank when I flush it. Then I dump.

That's what I use to do but last year, my tank split and I'm figuring it was really full while going down the road and it put a strain on the top of the tank.  Now I'm gun shy I guess. Don't want to take a chance again if I don't have to.

When I am boon docking it is not a problem for me.

The capacity of my black tank is close to the fresh water tank.  So the Black tank does not over fill because some of that fresh water goes into the gray tanks due to washing showers etc.

When I run out of fresh water time to dump the tanks.

I shut off the water and then using a flash light look down the toilet. When the level is getting close to the underside of the trailer floor it is time for me to dump.

Jack L

I've installed a SeeLevel II tank monitor system on every motorhome we've owned. The capacitance sensor strips attach to the outside of the tank walls and are much less affected by crud on the inside of the walls. Our black tank readings have remained good for years at a time with just an occasional flush. If your tank walls are relatively accessible, installation is pretty easy using the existing wiring.

Back
Top Bottom