Range of costs associated with Full-timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing to start thinking about is where you are going to "live".  As a full timer you can live almost anywhere, but you will need some form of address for vehicle registration, taxes, voting, etc.  We are just starting this process, but I have already ruled out Texas.  While Texas has no income tax, I have read that you need a CD license to drive a motor home weighting over 25,000 lbs.  My motor home is a 40' DP so I plan to avoid being a Texas resident.  I am also going to avoid CA due to the high income tax. Right now our list of states is down to two, FL and AZ.  FL because no income tax and AZ because we are here now and will not have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get our vehicles registered.  The need for a periodic smog inspection is also an issue since you will probably have to go to your home state when inspections are due.  Good luck on your pending retirement.

John  Alfa See Ya.

For the most inexpensive way to look at full-timing, take a look at this young lady's expenses:

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2017/01/16/2016-full-time-rving-cost-of-living-income-report/

FWIW: Better put away a couple of months worth of retired pay in an account for emergencies. Especially if you decide to get a diesel pusher motorhome. Repairs are not cheap and neither are maintenance costs. Be prepared to be displaced during repairs and no, the estimated repair times are never reliable. Get good towing insurance for your RV like goodsams, coachnet. Don't be relying upon your auto/RV insurance to be covering your tow. As far as discount clubs, I had them all but ended up not being able to use them enough to make it worthwhile for renewing. If you can get extended warranty, buy it as it will only help ya if something breaks, however, make sure you know what it covers before you commit. Keep in mind that expectations and reality will be different.

As for being out of your motorhome during repairs go, over the years while traveling with various motorhomes we've had an engine replaced, a transmission replaced, and an entire rear end replaced, yet we slept in the coach every night during each of those events. The only time we elected to stay elsewhere was for two days while the coach was being repainted to avoid the strong odors. Even then we stayed in a "Kottage" at a nearby KOA. We did have to be out of the coach during some of the actual repair work of course, but that just meant going sight seeing, shopping, etc, for several hours.

We have a 1 Ton PU and a 5th wheel, so, Truck maintenance will not impact a place to live, but may require us to rent a car temporarily. We do keep Good Same towing service even now. 

Great info here.  Learning a lot from you all. We are looking to downsize and see the country.  Just have to get the right 5th wheel. 

Full time from May to Nov. 2016. New mid-size Class B. Just dog & I. 50% travel & 50% destination camping (Campgrounds). Total miles travelled = 14,000. Travel was more than 50% free camping (Overnighting, Boondocking, etc). Holder of Passport America & Good Sam club. Also have Fed/Nat. Lands pass.

Total cost was $5,541 - did not include camper cost or camper ins. Did include minor maintenance such as oil changes. 6 months @ $922 per month.

Have Fun.

These folks also post their info, a bit on the high side.  I used the spreadsheet and looked for areas where I could save.  One example is they have a truck, jeep and 5th wheel.  I was more interested in the categories.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/financial-information.html

Good Info, dcbinvt!  That's about what I hope we can do, part-free, part-time in a park.  And about what I anticipated as far as cost. We will have diesel expenses, because we want to see things. But, also hope to set the 5th wheel down for 2 to 3 weeks at a time to adequately explore the region.  And Bobtop46, this is a great site for estimating costs! Thanks for sharing!

This was a difficult question for people to answer, as there are so many variables. But you guys have given exactly the info I hoped to obtain. I just needed a range of people's experiences with cost. Thanks a bunch!

As others have said - it all depends on how you live, travel and spend.  If you plan to move regularly - expect costs associated with fuel and maintenance increase, nightly parking expenses will increase as well (you won't be getting the long term rates for short term stays), incidental costs are also likely to increase when you're moving more (i.e., since you don't know an area - chance you'll visit the expensive grocery store increase).  You need to know yourself and how you live. 

We've owned our coach for roughly 2 years - and have steadily increased the amount of time we spend living in since we bought it.  We've still got our "stick and brick" home - so we're not truly "full timers" - but we're currently spending a significant amount of time in the coach (6 months in calendar year 2016 and on pace for 8-9 months in calendar year 2017).  We're still working to quash the "Yippee!  We're on vacation!" mindset.  Trust me - regardless of what your financial picture looks like - you'll fight that battle too!

Figuring out your budget is NOT a onetime, over and done with thing.  Set your budget targets for a few months - for everything - then track every penny you spend.  We've got two years of history - and are still tweaking things as we venture deeper and deeper into the lifestyle.

Tom,
We're looking for a nice park in that area, what is the name of the park you're referring to?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom