Mapping Multiple Stops On Line web site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

What in your experience is the simplest on line site to lay out a multiple stop route that works with out a lot of hassle.  I have tried Google and it does not want to let you put in more than one stop, map quest isn't much better,  they use to be simple and easy.  Now not so much.

Thanks.

SeilerBird said:
I have used Google maps to map out routes with many stops.

Tom,  I have tried to use Google but I can't figure out how to add stops pasted the first one.  Can you send a link to the page you use?

If you use Google Maps it will only allow you to make one stop. However if you use Google My Maps you can add as many as you wish, up to certain amount depending on the memory available at that time. Go to:

https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3024454?hl=en

And click on Create a new map. Here is one I have made:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NDNSkz_gY7hSmry2mld7PBxZhCc&usp=sharing

We use our Garmin GPS to map out trips.  If we want a quick distance calculator we use the Rand McNally Mileage Calculator, but it's only good for a from-to calculation.

ArdraF

At least on my version of Google maps:  when I type in a destination and it finds it, and then when I add a starting point to figure the route and distance, the 3rd line has a "plus" sign where I can add another point.  Also at the side are arrows to re-arrange the stops. 

Hope this helps.

SeilerBird said:
If you use Google Maps it will only allow you to make one stop. However if you use Google My Maps you can add as many as you wish, up to certain amount depending on the memory available at that time. Go to:

Thanks Tom...

I have tried that one and didn't get as far as you,  I will go back and try some more.

I an looking at Roadtrippers too.

winona said:
At least on my version of Google maps:  when I type in a destination and it finds it, and then when I add a starting point to figure the route and distance, the 3rd line has a "plus" sign where I can add another point.  Also at the side are arrows to re-arrange the stops. 

Hope this helps.

x2 here  I just planned an eight stop route from my home to the Grand Canyon about a week ago with Google Maps.
The Good Sam planner works pretty good and, if you sign into the site, will remember the trip between sessions.
I can plan a trip on the TomTom app for my GPS and then transfer it to the GPS, but I like to do my initial planning on GM.

SeilerBird said:

That's  useful, thanks Tom. You sure do get around  ;D

I use rvtripwizard. Last year I had over 30 stops. It's not free, but for me it's worth it. You can put in you gas tank capacity and tell it when you want to refuel and it will tell you where to stop. I have an 80 gallon tank and want to refuel at 20, there will be a circle on the map showing me how far I can go before I need to refuel. It allows you to put in up to three distances you want to travel in a day. Either by hours or distance. I put in 150, 200 and 250 miles. There will be three circles starting from my point of departure that help me decide where I want to stop for the night. It has many more tools.

ripwizard.com

In Google maps there is a drop down menu on the top right.  One of the options is Add Stop.  It adds another location slot at the bottom of the current list.  You can drag the new stop to its proper location on the list.

I stay away from Google and GPS. The latter is notoriously inaccurate. A GPS is OK only as a guide, but I depend on an Atlas for all trips. I also map out a route in a Rand & McNally Atlas. On a separate sheet (s) I list the route, addresses of cam,psites with corresponding page numbers. The following is an example:

2017 TRIP

Page 52-53, Florida
- I-75 to Valdosta, GA

Page 60-58, Georgia
- I-75 to I-475, Macon, GA
- CORDELE KOA, GA Exit 97
73 Rockhouse Road East, Cordele, GA 31015
229-273-5454, 800-562-0275
- I-75 to I-285, Atlanta, GA
- CALHOUN KOA Exit 315
2523 Redbud Rd., Calhoun, GA 30701
706-629-7511
- I-75 to Exit 156 to I-285
- I-75 to Chattanooga, TN

Page 192, Tennessee
- I-75 to Knoxville, TN
- I-75 to I75/640 to Williamsburg, KY

Page 89, 88 Kentucky
- I-75 to Lexington, KY
- RENFRO VALLEY KOA Exit 62
184 KOA CG Rd., Mt. Vernon, KY
606/256-2474
Page 162, Ohio
- I-75 to I-275, Cincinnati, OH
- I-275 to I-74

Page 77-75, Indiana
- I-74 to Indianapolis, IN
- I-465 (right toward Lawrence)
- I-69 to Fort Wayne, IN
- BLUFFTON/FT. WAYNE SO. KOA Exit 278
1625 W. Lancaster St., Bluffton, IN
260-824-0127

Google Maps, a 200+ page travel log from AAA, many State and City Road maps and atlas's.  But, at the end of the day, our trip planning is more like a guideline.  We rarely stay on plan.  That's part of the experience.  If you have a destination and need to be there within a certain time frame, then planning is pretty important.  However, if you're just traveling, why limit your experience by passing interesting places that you may not see again. 

jackiemac said:
One of the forum members uses www.roadtrippers.com. see what you  think of that site.

I've played around with roadtrippers.com a few times.  Currently mapping out a trip for next summer on it.
Not a great route planner as in a navigation tool exactly, but offers some good tips for points of interests etc... and I am finding it helpful.

Google Maps and Garmin RV660 are my choice.  I've planned numerous trips using these and it is easy and accurate.  The only draw back to Google Maps is that you can have on 8 stops on a route so you have to break down long trips.  I planned trips from central NC to Las Vegas to Kutztown PA, and a trip from central NC to Disney Land to the San Diego Zoo to Palm Desert to Phoenix as examples and had not problems.

I stay away from Google and GPS. The latter is notoriously inaccurate.

You made an interesting comment which makes me wonder if you're talking about an older GPS or a different brand than Garmin.  I ask because we've been using Garmins for years.  I'd guess we're on about our sixth or seventh one.  We take it back and forth between various cars and the motorhome.  They've improved a lot with each new version.  The current Nuvi 2757 even shows buildings in shopping centers and tells you to "turn right at the light before McDonalds".  We haven't had many mis-directions at all with this Nuvi.  In fact we noticed the last time we were near Mt. Lassen that they've corrected one road that the old ones always tried to take us down a cliff and up the other side of the canyon.  The road was never there!  Anyway, just curious about your comment because we love our GPS and use it all over the country.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
You made an interesting comment which makes me wonder if you're talking about an older GPS or a different brand than Garmin.  I ask because we've been using Garmins for years.  I'd guess we're on about our sixth or seventh one.  We take it back and forth between various cars and the motorhome.  They've improved a lot with each new version.  The current Nuvi 2757 even shows buildings in shopping centers and tells you to "turn right at the light before McDonalds".  We haven't had many mis-directions at all with this Nuvi.  In fact we noticed the last time we were near Mt. Lassen that they've corrected one road that the old ones always tried to take us down a cliff and up the other side of the canyon.  The road was never there!  Anyway, just curious about your comment because we love our GPS and use it all over the country.
I agree with Ardra completely. I too have owned too many Garmins to count. I upgrade every year because every year they get so much better. I also have the 2757 because Ardra recommended it a year and a half ago. I could not be happier either with it or Google Maps. Both work like a dream. Thanks for the recommendation Ardra. ;D

Back
Top Bottom