Code Reader for Cummins Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohog1

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a Diagnostic Code Reader for a Cummins Engine. I would like to keep one on the Coach incase the Check Engine Light Comes on. On my return from a trip the Check Engine Light came on and when I stopped to refuel and restart the engine the light went out. I checked all my gage's when the light came on and everything was normal. I would like to know what caused the light to come on.

Thanks,

Herbie

No help with code reader, but sometimes the check engine light can be an emission system leak and that includes the gas cap. So, who knows, maybe removing the gas cap and then reinstalling it after fueling resolved the problem for now.

Thanks Hamster! Maybe when I refueled and screwed the fuel cap on it solved the problem. I will find out soon on the next great adventure.

Herbie

Look at this one  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Diesel-Truck-Diagnostic-Scanner-Reset-HD-OBD-OBDII-Tool-Code-Reader/152210210430?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Db2c7ddff39254fe2b9fff40cdade8905%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D142088473067

on EBay

gwcowgill, That looks like what I need to check the codes. If you have used the code reader before will it plug in the ECM port? Or has anyone else used this code reader could you please let me know if you were happy with its performance.

Thanks,

I don't think the fuel filler cap can cause a check condition on a diesel. That's a gasoline thing (evaporative emission control). However, the Check light often can be triggered by a water-in-fuel or low coolant condition and these may or may not have their own separate indicator in your coach. It's up to the coach builder to supply the secondary dash indicators and that varies by brand, year & model.

The codes (and much other info) is carried on the engine data bus, which is probably the J1939 standard bus on your 2011.  You can get a module that plugs into the bus connector and read the code with a variety of devices, and you can also display a ton of other useful data, e.g. turbo boost, transmission gear and parameters, water temperature, oil pressure status, historical mpg, etc..  One way to get codes displayed is to install one of several engine monitoring systems, e.g. Silverleaf VMS or Coretronics TripTek.
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electronics/engine_monitors.php

Cummins has a code reader called Cummins Quick Check - see https://cumminsengines.com/quickcheck  It's a pricey thing, though. Here's an aftermarket reader:
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3418-Heavy-Duty-Code-Reader/dp/B001A4FKA0

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
I don't think the fuel filler cap can cause a check condition on a diesel.

Probably just coincidence then? I'm truly curious because we recently entered the diesel world for the first time.

In the past, the much lower volatility of diesel fuel has exempted it from the regulations applied to gasoline tank systems, but I don't know the current status. I haven't kept up with all the recent changes in evaporative emission controls. The '04  diesel coach I recently sold had no such things, but maybe newer ones do.

Also, Light Trucks are subject to more "car" regulations than medium and heavy duty chassis vehicles, so the Light truck diesel may incorporate systems that are not required in other applications..

You don't need a code reader for your coach Herbie. Your Freightliner info center has one built into it. I don't know when they added that feature, but our coach is the same as yours, and I used it to pull up a nagging trouble code. You have to push and hold the little Freightliner Info-Center toggle switch for a certain length of time, and in a certain order, and it'll open a menu that gives you any trouble codes. It even allowxs you to clear some of them.

It won't explain what the code is, but all you have to do is call Freightliner, or Google it as I did, and it'll tell you everything you want to know. I wrote the button-pushing sequnce down, but I don't have it with me. It was Freightliner who provided it to me over the phone so, presumably, they'd give it to you too. If you have trouble with that, let me know and I'll go dig out my notes.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
You don't need a code reader for your coach Herbie. Your Freightliner info center has one built into it...
Kev

Even our 2002 Nissan Maxima will display codes. Yeah, you have to do a series of gas pedal pumps in a particular order to see the code and the code is displayed as flashing Check Engine light in a sort of Morse code fashion. But, once you have the series of flashes, you can find out what it means online or calling Nissan. And, most can also be reset using the gas pedal. We found all the info about the gas pedal pumping sequences and what the codes mean online too.

Folks, I will call Freightliner and get the sequence to read the code on the Information Center and see what I come up with. I know how to toggle between the Engine information.

Kevin, just curious, what was your problem when the check engine light came on and did it reset when you shut down the engine and restarted?

Thanks,

Herbie

nitrohog1 said:
gwcowgill, That looks like what I need to check the codes. If you have used the code reader before will it plug in the ECM port? Or has anyone else used this code reader could you please let me know if you were happy with its performance.

Thanks,

I haven't used this one but have used others. They typically do the job. I believe it uses the Cummins service port.

Herbie...

My Check Engine light was caused by a bad sending unit in the fuel/water separator. It was VERY intermittent and somewhat pricy to fix, because Freightliner stopped selling just the sending unit. I had to buy the entire new replacement part ($350.00)

Here are the steps for accessing the engine fault codes...

1. Ignition Key: OFF
2. Ignition Key: RUN position (Engine not running)
3. Wait for the black highlight bar on the Freightliner Info Center Screen to disappear (Takes about 5 seconds)
4. Hold toggle switch to the right for 3 seconds
5. Look for the ?Send, Maintenance, Diagnostics? screen
6. Press the toggle switch to the right and release
7. Scroll down and highlight "Engine Diagnostics?
8. Press the toggle switch to the right and release
9. Look for SPN and FM1 codes

When finished, push toggle switch to the left to return to main display

Hope this helps. Saved me the cost of having to buy a Large truck code reader. I also have the SilverLeaf diagnostics system, which displays every piece of engine, transmission and other data you'd want on a Samsung tablet. The info is Bluetoothed to the tablet so there are no wires. The sending unit plugs directly into the coach's diagnostic port under the dash, and works great.

Kev

Kevin, thanks for the information. I did exactly as you said and it displayed no active engine faults. I called Freightliner and they said if the check engine light is off it will not show faults as active. They said the only other way to display the past faults is with Cummins Software. I guess I will wait until the light comes on again and then I can read the fault. Thanks a million for everyone's help.

Herbie 

Great Horned Owl said:
I keep one of these plugged in all the time https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Foseal-Adapter-Diagnostic-Trouble/dp/B015GMRZH2/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1484836734&sr=8-14&keywords=obd2+wifi. I sends lots of interesting info to my phone, as well as OBD codes. Including buying an app for the phone, the whole thing costs less than $30.

Joel

What you have here is only applicable to OBDII equipped cars and light trucks. It will not work with Diesel Pushers as each engine manufacturer has their own proprietary software.

Any shop with Cummins insite can read active and inactive codes on a Cummins engine. I would not buy any coach without hooking up and looking at old codes, ecm miles, hours and number of key offs. You can tell if someone has chipped it by the tool number recorded by the ecm. Just my 2 cents

As a side note, any dtc (code) that goes away with a key off is not a hard code. Hard codes must be reset with onboard or external software. usually meaning $$$$$. 2014 and up Cummins have 3500 different codes just for the after treatment system!!. 

I use the Scangauge D -- it has a lot of functions.
I have it mounted near my gauges and monitor boost pressure, coolant and transmission temps.  I trust it more than the gauges.
I have also used it to both read codes and reset codes. 
Price is reasonable also

thx Dale

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom