Leaving the frozen tundra, heading south... how to prepare RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Hello, all you lucky RV'ers that are not enjoying this 2' of snow we have and below 32 for almost a month. It is time for us to start preparing for our first trip South. We had planned to take our RV out of this frozen tundra last fall, but hubby made the mistake of checking out the "new 2017" of the 2015 Model we owned... Wow King bed, bigger TV, skylight, etc. etc... the new look was more than he could turn down... So Yep.. we have a branch new RV we have just looked at after all the paperwork.. and watched it go into storage.

Well Now we are getting ready, solar being put on this week and all the options we wanted and dealer couldn't come close to doing... at a local RV shop that we know and trust. Then I will plug in for some heat and load up our stuff from old RV into the new one. You all know how fun and time consuming that it! At least it is the same layout so won't take long.

My million dollar question is, how do you travel down the road.....leaving from Montana to St. George or more south depending on weather... It will be cold, no freezing for the first two days.... We are not putting water in until we get to first warm spot, then guess we will have to flush antifreeze, etc. What are your secrets for refrigerator food, freezer, etc. Know I can put heat on in RV, but maybe a waste of propane driving down the road... until of course, we get to first overnight stop and it will be freezing... We do have a ceramic heater and will have electric hookup at our stops on way. Any threads on here with some "planning" I have seen the lists for preparing to leave. But didn't see any for leaving the frozen tundra!

thanks, everyone! Cross Country skied today, but I am needing some "green" color in our vision, besides all white!

SeilerBird said:
I would do nothing and stay in a motel the first two nights. Then when you are far enough south start using it.

+1
It's the simple solution and what we do.
Don't wrestle with your rig in unworkable temperatures.

Our 16 year old motorhome does just fine in temps down to zero deg F and a bit beyond. So before we headed south from upstate NY earlier this month, as in previous years, we fired up the heat a couple of days before we left, filled the fresh water tank and fridge, and headed out in complete comfort with the outside temp at 6 deg. At our first night's stop in PA, the low only hit 14, so we were getting warmer already!  ;D

Should mention we do have a western edition Polar express Keystone Cougar, supposed to be good to 0.. and would hope to have at least 25 degrees when we leave. As we don't want to drive on any ice..

We are heading from Salt Lake City to Quartzsite in a week, staying in St. George on the way. The temps here are not forecast to be too bad - mid 30s as highs, lows in the 20s. That is not problem for,our travel trailer. We will fire up the heater before we go to make sure the interior is nice and warm. We will dewinterize when we get to Saint George. It is forecast to be well above freezing there. I actually wouldn't worry about dewinterizing here in SLC. Our trailer is quite capable of not freezing up at temps in the 20s, but I just figure it is easier above freezing.

And I agree with you about not traveling in ice! I don't mind a little snow though, and it is in the forecast. Sigh. We try to be gone all of January, but we have a show we want to attend so we stayed around.

Back
Top Bottom