How To Know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassandra7

The husband and I are looking at purchasing our very first RV.  We've done quite a bit of research and know what we want.  Mostly.  We are looking at a travel trailer under 25' and 4800lbs.  We just hit an RV show and walked through all the models which fit that description but have even more questions than previously and any input would be greatly appreciated.

We've seen both horror stories and great reviews about the models we are interested in.  If these units are made at the same factory and with the same materials then what accounts for the differences in quality/durability? Different brands have different quality assurance processes?  we are worried about sinking a lot of cash into something that depreciates so quickly upon first use and will most likely end up leaking after a year or two (if the stories are to be believed :) ). 

We don't mind paying for quality, but it seems as if that can only be done by buying an Oliver or Airstream (we've seen the fewest complaints on these brands).  Am I living in a selectively Google bubble?  Is there a reliable place to find reviews?  Should we just rent?  How did YOU first get into RVing?  Thanks!

Cassandra7 said:
  we are worried about sinking a lot of cash into something that depreciates so quickly upon first use and will most likely end up leaking after a year or two (if the stories are to be believed :) ). 

If you've done a lot of research on this forum, what you stated is exactly why many (not all) of the members here will recommend you buy used at least for the first RV. Many newbies think they know what they want but once they get into it, they find that it wasn't what they needed and sell the RV at a huge loss. Think about it.

As far as the leaks, that will happen with any RV no matter what the quality is. A thorough roof inspection annually is required to stop any chance of leaks.

An RV is a house being driven down a bumpy road at 65 miles per hour. It is going to endure a lot of shaking and bumping. RVs require maintenance in order to keep it running smoothly. The people who complain about all the problems they are having are generally the ones driving 75 all the time and never doing the maintenance when they should. Of course it is going to fall apart. The roof is going to get the most wear and tear. Look at an RV from the rear and picture it going down the road swaying. The most movement is going to be on the top. The roof is always going to be exposed to the most heat and cold since it is so exposed to the elements. How long it lasts depends entirely up to you and has nothing to do with the name of the manufacturer. Any RV that is driven reasonably an maintained properly will last a long time. There are no really good RVs and there are no really bad RVs.

I'd add one comment to what Tom said: You can find lemons in most anything, including cars and RVs. Someone in the factory (or dealer's shop) may have skimped or taken a shortcut on something, but generally what Tom says is accurate. And recent model used units have had most of those things found and repaired.

In some sense, quality and durability can be associated with price point. In a smaller, lighter trailer the manufacturer is keenly aware that they need to keep the weight down to appeal to the section of buyers that are looking for a smaller unit.  That doesn't mean that the parts that they do use shouldn't be fastened together appropriately, but there is only so big a screw you can put in a thin piece of luan.

That being said, don't be afraid of a RV just because it's smaller and lighter, just don't expect solid surface counters and solid wood cabinetry.  For durability it really about how you maintain it. If hubby likes to tinker, then walking around and checking for loose screws once in a while will save you lots of time down the road. 

Generally, different brands do not have different quality assurance processes. Most of them have no quality assurance processes. You need to understand that these things are essentially "hand crafted.

If you were building an automobile, you would have a wiring drawing. It would not only tell you to connect point A to point B, but it would specify the length, color, and gauge of the wire, as well as how it is routed. Each one will essentially identical. The guy building the RV is lucky if he remembers that those two points need to be connected. Whatever piece of wire he has handy will do.

When installing a panel, he knows that it needs to be screwed into place. He probably doesn't know how many screws to use, exactly where they should be placed, or what size and length they should be. Do you think he knows how tightly to torque them? He also doesn't know exactly where the last guy ran the wires or water lines. If he happens to drive a screw into one, "oh well."

Is it any wonder that they can build a very nice unit today, and a piece of absolute garbage next week?

Joel

Joel

Thank you to everyone for your responses.  I've shared them with my husband and we've decided to take a look at nearby RV dealerships for used models. 

Part of my issue with leaking is that, in some respect, I keep thinking of these trailers like vehicles - if my care doesn't leak, why should my trailer? :) But just knowing this is something that maintenance can keep in check is definitely reassuring. 

Thanks again!

We as consumers seem to be hard wired to accept that spending more $ will get you better quality. In the RV world this is not necessarily so. About 90% of all RVs are manufactured by 3 companies, Thor, Forest River, and Winnebago. Price differences between models are more likely to get you more stuff, more bling, more bells & whistles, but the quality of these entry level units all remain about the same, and it's not really good. This is not to say that good, better, best quality units don't exist out there. It only means that in the RV world $ spent does not always indicate better quality, it often just means more stuff.

All good advice above. RV quality is very inconsistent, due to a hand-build process and little in the way of quality assurance process. Further, smaller units such as the ones you are looking at are nearly all targeted at the low weight & low price market. Airstream would be an exception - the 22FB Sport would fit your parameters nicely, but I don't know about the budget.

The feedback you see on the Internet is also difficult to assess. Few people write to praise, so you see mostly complaints, and too often the complaints are of questionable validity. Buyers fail to do their "due diligence" upfront, may not understand what they are getting, and often do not do the maintenance that Seilerbird referenced. It's not a car that you can just drive and forget - it is a complex traveling house that is subject to a lot of stress. It needs more than a little of TLC to stay in good shape.

I personally think that buying used is wise, but you do need to be a careful buyer that looks closely at condition. You get a lot more value for your money and the "teething problems" that plague many new RVs have already been fixed. There are many lightly used RVs out there, and a decent percentage of them have been well-cared for too.

We as consumers seem to be hard wired to accept that spending more $ will get you better quality. In the RV world this is not necessarily so.

I actually think this is very much true of RVs, but you have to be comparing apples to apples (not mix up "more stuff" with "better quality")..  Pricing in the RV world is extremely competitive, so if one brand or model is priced noticeable different from what seems to be an identically equipped unit, you can bet that the less expensive one has scrimped  to get the price down. There is no free lunch - to reduce the price manufacturers often choose a less robust chassis, lower quality materials, and cut hours off the assembly process. That always has a quality cost as well. Likewise, reducing weight has a quality penalty in most cases.

The counter-argument, however, is that upscale models suffer from as many production defects as less expensive ones. The hand-build process is just as likely to mess something up, even though the materials, components and fit & finish are better overall. The chances of getting a "lemon" seem about the same. In that sense, higher price does NOT guarantee a high initial quality.

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
I actually think this is very much true of RVs, but you have to be comparing apples to apples (not mix up "more stuff" with "better quality")..  Pricing in the RV world is extremely competitive, so if one brand or model is priced noticeable different from what seems to be an identically equipped unit, you can bet that the less expensive one has scrimped  to get the price down. There is no free lunch - to reduce the price manufacturers often choose a less robust chassis, lower quality materials, and cut hours off the assembly process. That always has a quality cost as well. Likewise, reducing weight has a quality penalty in most cases.

The counter-argument, however, is that upscale models suffer from as many production defects as less expensive ones. The hand-build process is just as likely to mess something up, even though the materials, components and fit & finish are better overall. The chances of getting a "lemon" seem about the same. In that sense, higher price does NOT guarantee a high initial quality.

Very well said, Gary. I tried to say about the same thing, but somehow it sounds better, and makes more sense, the way you said it.

Back
Top Bottom