How do you get your music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only 3000?  ;)

I carry 60GB of MP3 files (about 5,000) and a couple hundred podcasts.  More at home.

I tried listening to satellite radio but they roll the same playlist in the same order every couple of hours.  Gets boring after the second time.

I have to be careful that the memory devices don't stick out enough to get broken off.  The DW likes to jam her purse right where a USB stick sticks out.  I get the smallest (in physical size) available.  Samsung, SanDisk, and HP make some that only stick out about 3/8 inch.  They are a couple bucks more than others but well worth it IMHO.

I bought the parts to add a second USB port to my daily driver (F150) but haven't installed it yet.

8Muddypaws said:
Only 3000?  ;)

I carry 60GB of MP3 files (about 5,000) and a couple hundred podcasts.  More at home.

I love the "s/he who dies with the most tracks wins" crowd.  ;D
I'm at about 10,000 now, more if you count Christmas songs (which I don't, since my standards are much lower for those).

I'm the only one I know who does just playlists for this specific reason: My ears get tired fast. I don't want to hear the same artist over and over, so I meticulously (I apparently have WAY too much time on my hands) divide my tracks so that the same artist or the same song (for cover songs) doesn't appear in the same playlist.

It gets worse:
I have almost 90 Beatles Songs.
I can't have anything by Paul McCartney in the same playlist as a Beatles song, since he was the sound of The Beatles (Lennon was the lyrics).
I ADORE Pharrell Williams' song "Happy", and The Beatles "Here Comes The Sun", so I have about 10 covers of those, and those have to be spread around.

It gets exhausting.

Does ANYBODY else do this? I don't know whether it's the music major in me (previous lifetime) or just being an anal-retentive control freak....

Not quite as bad.  I've only got about 4500 tracks.  Some of those tracks are complete albums in one track, most are single tunes.  I collect complete discographies.  All the Pink Floyd stuff(including solo albums by Waters and Gilmour, all Rolling Stones, all Beatles albums, all ZZtop...anyway, you get the drift.

My phone is set up so I can sync a random play list to it.  I carry about 1.5 gig on the phone.  I also have an 8 gig USB stick for the Jeep stereo that I periodically wipe and refill with a random play list.  I usually let the computer pick, because I don't have a tune in my collection that I don't like.

I got the latest Stone's anthology(GRRRRR!)a while back.  Loaded the whole 6 CD set onto a stick and rocked the Stones for about a month before I dumped it. 

I've also got a lifetime subscription to XM, so in the coach we listen to that.  Usually  Classic Vinyl, or Classic Rewind, but sometimes, in the evenings, The Bridge(mellow rock).

Old_Crow said:
I've also got a lifetime subscription to XM, so in the coach we listen to that. 

I wish I could get a lifetime script to XM.

I have my couch set up for XM too and listen to the same stuff you do
plus Doctor radio sometimes.

herekittykitty said:
I love the "s/he who dies with the most tracks wins" crowd.  ;D
I'm at about 10,000 now, more if you count Christmas songs (which I don't, since my standards are much lower for those).

I'm the only one I know who does just playlists for this specific reason: My ears get tired fast. I don't want to hear the same artist over and over, so I meticulously (I apparently have WAY too much time on my hands) divide my tracks so that the same artist or the same song (for cover songs) doesn't appear in the same playlist.

It gets worse:
I have almost 90 Beatles Songs.
I can't have anything by Paul McCartney in the same playlist as a Beatles song, since he was the sound of The Beatles (Lennon was the lyrics).
I ADORE Pharrell Williams' song "Happy", and The Beatles "Here Comes The Sun", so I have about 10 covers of those, and those have to be spread around.

It gets exhausting.

Does ANYBODY else do this? I don't know whether it's the music major in me (previous lifetime) or just being an anal-retentive control freak....

I have a 16GB flash drive filled and use the shuffle with no repeat and
could listen for many many hours and never hear the same song twice.
Why have a song in there that you don't like?  IF I'm not in the mood for a certain
song when it comes up I just hit next and I'm good to go.

But I'm sure you will figure out what works for you as you are the only one you have to please - as I'll bet your cat never complains.  ;D

That's another thing I like about iPods.  As you skip specific songs they become less and less likely to be randomly played.

Tried listening to XM on the road today.  When did most of the country vocalists start using auto-tune?  Auto-tune is a device and software that takes in an off key voice and 'corrects' it to the nearest note.  Along the way it adds a mechanical sound and creates steps of pitch shifting.  Personally I'd rather hear someone sing off key and call it jazz than that mechanical sound.

And that's why I carry 64Gigs of music.  It's not like the memory is expensive.

RedandSilver said:
I wish I could get a lifetime script to XM.

I have my couch set up for XM too and listen to the same stuff you do
plus Doctor radio sometimes.

One of my kids bought the lifetime subscription when he was in the Navy.  Transferred it to me when I retired because he doesn't use it anymore.  We use it almost daily.

I have a Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker can use my old ipod or can use my cell phone. It's small (use in the camper, boat or just outside) and has a great sound.

our music comes via many different routes:

when traveling, we use pandora running on our cell phone to a bluetooth receiver plugged into AUX port of our radio....I also have a mp3 player that uses thumbdrives that I can play while driving.

when set up, I have a pretty sophisticated tech setup with a Plex server running thru ROkU to main TV/audio system in the Coach. I have a ton of audio and video files and playlists.  I have a soundbar for our TV that sounds great.

I usually will take my mp3 unit outside and play music that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom