Hello! Planning first road trip from Toronto to California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharons Road Trip

Hello!! 
My partner and I are planning a road trip pulling a 17 ft trailer in the middle of February and we are debating the best route to get south of snow hazards.  We are seeking advice on the flatest, safest route from Toronto ON  ( Buffalo NY ) to New Orleans at that time of year.  We are thinking I 75, but I 65 looks less hilly.  We are not in a hurry and  can take our time and want to avoid snow and bad road conditions. After New Orleans we will head west along the gulf and the border to San Diago.   

Does anyone have suggestions? 

Happy Travels!!
Sharon.

Hi, We left Toronto mid December, other than spending time in Florida prior to and after heading west we are doing the same trip. we are now in Yuma Arizona. you can see our trip /stops at rvparky.com  we have travelled i75 many times. it is your best bet when towing. many stops & good grades.

Well, if I were making that kind of run in February, I'd take the 401 down, and pick up 75 out of Detroit.
Down to Cincinatti, and 71 over to Louisvile, then 65 to Nashville,
From Nashville either 40 to Memphis, and run down 55 to New Orleans - I've never really liked that run on 55, myself, but it is a relatively easy run, except for getting through Jackson, MS -Or, stay on 65 to Birmingham, and then 20 to Meridian, MS, and take 59. The mountains around Birmingham are not high, but the roads are limited by them and traffic suffers from that. Getting caught in Birmingham by weather would not be fun. 

Keep an eye on the weather, and be prepared to stop for a day or two, to let a a system blow by.
February can be relatively static, weather-wise, but keep an eye to the west to prevent being surprised.

75 has a lot of hills. And some pretty heavy traffic, particularly between Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom