"ICE" We're having fun now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

We are going to attempt to leave for Yuma this morning.  We were going to leave on
the 12th but the predicted Ice Storm was right in the way of our travel so decided to
wait it out.

Temps are up now and the rain has stopped but we have 1/2-3/4" glass smooth wet ice on our long half mile lane that winds down and up through trees and shade. 

We hooked up the Trailer yesterday and tried to move forward a few feet to make loading the last bits easier this morning and even with 4 WD drive engaged, all I had was 6 wheels turning on wet ice and no movement.  No traction what so ever.  We have called a sand truck to come and sand the lane ahead of us as we go out.  Hope it works.  If not the next step will be a Heavy duty wrecker to come and pull us out of the lane.

I will never wait this late to start out again. 

Plans are to over night in Topeka tonight.  Will update the days events tonight.

Now if I can just hold my mouth just right and and rub my tummy and pat my head and close one eye and hop on one foot we may, just may get on the road.

Cheers...

Ouch.  Should like your stuck tial it melts..... Only other thing I could recoment is a set or two of cable chains

I refuse to drive in those conditions especially with my nervous wife. Stay safe Tom.

Well we made it out after a sand spreader truck came in as spread sand all over the roads and we got some under the wheels that just spit it out, he had to pull me forward a foot once I was out of the divets that my wheels had made, he preceded me along the road and sanded any bad spots heavily, so we made it out.  We left an hour and half late and arrived here in Topeka Ks RV Park very posh place. 

Next on the comedy of best RV hits.

MY wife didn't pack her compu.  Charger cord and mine doesn't fit. 

Mine is a few year old veteran W7 HP that I love.  It chose our arrival here in Tlopeka to fefuse to come on and is giving blinking lites on the num loc and caps lock keys.  so it looks like it is down for the count.

I am using hers to write this report.  Once it dies we will make a trip to Staples and buy her a new cord and me a new computer. 

After not having been towing in over a year and a half.  It's a wonder we didn't for get one or the other of us.

Cheers..

BTW we are using out new Millenicom Hot Spot and it is Lightening fast.  We bought the 20 gig plan.

Nite...

I live in Southern, Ca. Just so you know, we are expecting the first of three storms to begin at about 10 pm tonight (Wednesday) and last into next week. I expect the storms will pass us and hit the Yuma area around late Thursday or Friday morning. I am staying put until the last storm passes so I can head to Death Valley. Careful out there, as you will probably encounter remnants of the storm in Arizona.

We are going down Hwy 56 yo Las Cruces NM to Tucson and if what you are talking about materializes, we will stay in Tucson for a few days.  I can handle rain, just not freezing rain or flash flood rain like they have in AZ. 

I should hit Tucumcari, NM day after tomorrow and lay up there one night and then on South. to Tucson.  56 is a nice high mountain desart road just recently widened and modernized. 

Wunderground Weather is my best friend.

Tom, that sounds like us. ;D We were headed south once when DW asked "Did you bring the passports?" Me " I thought you had them" After a brief argument I turned around. A half hour later "Oh here they are in my purse". Criminal activity briefly crossed my mind. ::)

Well we made it to to Liberal KS we are at the Western Star RV Park.  Strange set up everything is to close to the pick up and hardly able to reach the trailer hook ups.  If you don't have extra long extensions you won't be able to hook up with out pulling the trailer far forward and then unhooking the truck to park beside or behind the trailer.  Luckily we had the extra extensions.

Thus ends todays travel log.  Thus sayeth Tom...

....The continuing Saga...

We made it into Tucumcari with very brisk cross winds most of the way from Liberal.  Lahyed up over night at Mountain Road RV Park the trailer rocked and rolled all night long like a ship in  a gale. 

In the morning we went out to leave and found a low tire.  Blew it up and went to a tire shop by the Flying "J" 1 tire had a separating belt and upon inspection found another.  Both were from 2013,  I had had them inspected last fall in anticipation of the trip and found that 1 was bad and the other 3 "SHOULD BE GOOD"  I replace the 1 and today I replaced the other 3.  $520 later we were about to leave for Las Cruses when I called ahead to the Sunny Acres and wanted to book a space for tonight when the nice lady asked me if I was aware of the 'HIGH WIND ADVISORY' for today.  We decided to not push our luck and went and checked into the KOA for tonight. 

Here is the ADVISORY...

Wind Advisory
Issued: 11:39 AM MST Jan. 21, 2017 ? National Weather Service

... Wind Advisory remains in effect until 5 am MST Sunday...

* location... this includes the middle and lower Rio Grande... .
  Estancia and upper Tularosa valleys as well as Quay... Curry
  and Roosevelt counties and the west Central Highlands.

* Winds... west to northwest 25 to 35 mph with gusts near 50 mph.

* Timing... winds will continue to increase through the
  afternoon... peak late this afternoon and early this
  evening... and will slowly diminish after midnight.

* Visibility... may be locally reduced in areas of blowing dust.

* Local impacts... strong cross winds are expected on north to
  south oriented roadways including Interstate 25 between
  Albuquerque and Socorro. Difficult driving conditions are
  expected for high profile vehicles.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Motorists should exercise caution while traveling. Sudden gusts
of wind may cause you to lose control of your vehicle. Extra
attention should be given to cross winds.

This does not sound like fun.  Not like the ICE...

It is really embarrassing when you figure out how really stupid you can be.

Today, we finally made it to Las Cruces and the Sunny Acres RV park.  We have not had the occasion to dump the black tank till now.  We pulled in and frantically made all the hook ups and pulled the gate valve and nothing happened.  I had visions of the infamous "PooP Pyramid " clogging the opening, I had visions of having to call a super sucker to get it cleaned out.

I broke out our 100+ foot of hose and dragged it into the trailer with a wand and a jet nozzle on it and proceeded to fight the dreaded Pyramid,  gallon after gallon of water was injected with jet force.  Nothing.  SWAMBO was out side reporting results or lack of them.  Finally I was beaten into submission and gave up.  I went out pulling my hose behind me and as I rounded the trailer end, I heard a shout.  "I fixed it". shouted my dearly beloved SWAMBO. 

"What did you do?" I asked in utter embarrassment.

"I opened this big black one and it all came out!"

My only weak excuse is that it has been almost two years since we have taken this trailer anywhere.

If this is any comfort, I ran into a gentleman in SC in a park who was complaining about the same thing so I went over to add my 2c worth, so I had him show me. He had the gray handle in his hand pulling on it. I had to look hard to find his black handle which was back in an area that was much deeper into the compartment. Pulled the black handle and it all came out.

His excuse was he had just bought the trailer and thought there was only one handle. Sounds plausible to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom