First venture into Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grassy

Hi,

Looking to going down into Maine this summer.

These look like 2 really great sites.

Shore Hills Campground & RV Park
553 Wiscasset Road, Boothbay ME 04537

Chewonki Campground
235 Chewonki Neck Road
Wiscasset, Maine 04578

Anyone have any experience with them ?  Better places to be ?

Thanks

There is more to see & do in the Bar Harbor area. Not just the village itself, but the entire Mt Desert Island and the adjacent Elsworth area on the mainland. Acadia National Park is a major attraction by itself.

Shore Hills is a pretty decent park - we stay there when in the area. Booth Bay Harbor is a neat little town and worth a day's visit. Boutique shops and several good restaurants. Harbor area is picturesque.

Gary,

What would you recommend ?

I see these 2 places:

Smuggler's Den Campground
Hadley's Point Campground.

We walk, bicycle, not sure if we are taking the co pilots this year, like to eat out occasionally and don't need to be entertained.

Oh, my rig is 52 foot long.

Thanks

For larger rigs and full hook-ups, I would recommend Narrows Too, which is on the mainland near the bridge onto the island.
There is also the Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA, KOA Woodside, Mt Desert Narrows, and Bar Harbor Campground.  All the ones on the island are a bit cramped, especially for larger rigs, while Narrows Too has roomy sites and excellent power & water. However, it lacks the woodsy ambience of the others (except for a few high-priced sites on the ocean). It kind of depends on where your priorities lie.

All the campgrounds have free shuttle bus service to each other and all over Mt Desert Island, including Acadia NP.

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
There is more to see & do in the Bar Harbor area. Not just the village itself, but the entire Mt Desert Island and the adjacent Elsworth area on the mainland. Acadia National Park is a major attraction by itself.

Shore Hills is a pretty decent park - we stay there when in the area. Booth Bay Harbor is a neat little town and worth a day's visit. Boutique shops and several good restaurants. Harbor area is picturesque.

I recommend lunch at the EbbTide cafe. Best Fish Chowder in town.

We love the Maine Coast.

Number one area for us is Acadia National Park and the whole Bar Harbor area. Here I second Gary's vote for Narrows Too.
We really enjoyed our first visit to Portland last year. We been going to Maine for 20 years and this was our first stop in Portland.
Another area we like is the Belfast area. From Belfast we would travel both up and down the coast In Belfast we always have stayed at The Mooring CG.

ken

We second the  South Shore RV camp in Boothbay. Owners are very friendly day and it is right in a large cove. You might want try the Lobster Bouy RV park in South Thomaston Maine up by Camden. The sites are right on the Ocean. Has a good beach for surf casting too.

Bar Harbor is something that you should experience once, but there much more to Maine. Southern had great beaches, mid-coast and lakes regions tend to be less crowded.

Guess I will have to modify this. The DW likes Narrows too. Easy to get into / out of. Sardine style which is ok for us..so is the gravel roads.

Do they have shuttles going all over ?

Anything I should know ?

"We like to walk and bike..not sure if we are bringing the co pilots yet, we like to eat out occasionally and doing a bit of shopping. I have no desire for wilderness and being parked within 20 foot of someone else is pretty normal for us..  quite time at 12 pm is fine.. We don't need to be entertained but it is kind of nice when a campground goes out of their way to make your stay better..

Local farm markets would be nice...
"

Hi Ian, If you give some dates. I can let you know what's going on on the central and coast area. We live not to far from the Belfast area and have gone to Acadia many times. I do know the mooring cg is under going a total renovation should be done by opening day.
Bill

>>>Do they have shuttles going all over ?

>>>Anything I should know ?

There is a good shuttle service. 8 different route. One route oicks yo up at the Narrows Too and will take you to the NP visitor center or Bar Harbor Visitor center. From these you can go just about anywhere on the Island. Note that Acadia NP has hiking trails and even better the Rockefeller Carriage Trails which today are used for hiking and biking. Bar harbor has many shops and restaurants. If you go to Bar Harbor with your truck go EARLY to get parking with your truck. We always found parking, but with our jeep street parking was easy if the lots were full - sometimes it was a hike back to the lower village area. The shuttle solves this, but does take longer.

ken

Old Radios said:
+1:  Number one area for us is Acadia National Park and the whole Bar Harbor area.
Cadillac Mountain is located in Acadia National Park. At 1528 feet it is the highest mountain on the Atlantic seaboard. You might get a nosebleed ::)

So, are the 3 campgrounds in Acadia too tight for a 37' Class A with a toad?  I prefer National Park camping to commercial campgrounds.

SeilerBird said:
Cadillac Mountain is located in Acadia National Park. At 1528 feet it is the highest mountain on the Atlantic seaboard. You might get a nosebleed ::)

Maybe on the coast but Mt Washington in NH is the highest mountain on the east coast at 6,288. Because of that, there's always been the discussions as to which mountain sees the sun first in the morning. If you're going to spend quite a bit of time in Maine, venture over to NH. The auto road up to the top of Mt Washington or the Cog Railway will be surely worth the trip. Lot's of other things to see too.

We ended up in the Boothbay area..  looking forward to going :)

Old_Crow said:
So, are the 3 campgrounds in Acadia too tight for a 37' Class A with a toad?  I prefer National Park camping to commercial campgrounds.

Wally-

Sorry, I just saw this so hope you are still watching this thread.  My understanding is that the NP campgrounds on Mt. Desert Island would be too small.  However, when we went to Acadia last summer we stayed at the new Schoodic Woods NP campground on the Schoodic Penninsula across the bay from Bar Harbor.  Last year was its first full year of operation and it is absolutely beautiful.  It's about a 40 mile drive from Bar Harbor and 30 miles from the bridge onto Mt. Desert Island, but well worth the drive for us.  Sites are electric+water and very secluded.  Even if the CG is full (which it will be during the summer), you don't really notice the other guests.  We had no problem with our 37' Class A + toad.  Reservations are a must.

Thanks, Scott, I'll keep it in mind.  Going back to the Grand Canyon this summer, but if we don't get a host job in FL next summer('18), the northeast is on our bucket list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom