Removing closets beside bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkn

I want to remodel the bedroom in our 2012 Springdale trailer. Has anyone removed cabinets before? How do you find the nails without tearing everything up?
Typical arrangement: short closets flank each side of bed. I want to remove only the closets but leave the storage between them? Help starting would be appreciated.

they are screwed to walls and floor. have a bright flashlight and look inside

Correct on the light. IF they are nailed, take a wide flat head screw driver or wide putty knife and pry between the two pieces of wood gently to start a separation, then use your hand to loosen them by gently pulling once the piece is off that you want off, the nails MAY stay attached to the wood you want to keep installed, take a pair of pliers and a rag or wood shim or hard plastic or something and grab the nail with pliers and slowly rock the pliers in one direction with the rag or plastic or shim sandwiched against the plier and wood and continue to rock the nail and pull it out. The sandwich protects the wood from denting or scratching you are leaning the pliers against.

you should be able to take the entire closet out without pulling the face boards off . you will need to remove any interior paneling to access the screws that go into the wall and or floor .

Over the years, I've had to completely dismantle a bathroom in one TT and the master bedroom in another to repair water damage. It's easy. As others have said it's mainly screws with nails being used mostly for trim. Start pulling screws but don't be too aggressive pulling out the cabinets. You may find random screws in odd places, other cabinets/trim pieces overlapping, etc. It's not difficult - just take your time.

And one additional hint to add to what TSJ said, pull the nails through the back of the piece of wood. This will avoid splintering the face. When you reassemble, just us a slightly bigger finish nail in the same hole.

Joezeppy said:
And one additional hint to add to what TSJ said, pull the nails through the back of the piece of wood. This will avoid splintering the face. When you reassemble, just us a slightly bigger finish nail in the same hole.
Yep, a great addition to what I wrote.

If these are two closets and an overhead cabinet that span the rear of the RV from one sidewall to another, be aware that the cabinets also stiffen the joints between the back and side walls.

If you remove them, think about adding something else to reinforce those corners.

I'm looking to do the same... just want it more open to answer Pegggyy. Plus I have a large enough closet in the hall...How did it go? Did you remove them successfully or did you have to add some type of support? Thanks!!

1stTimeRVer said:
I'm looking to do the same... just want it more open to answer Pegggyy. Plus I have a large enough closet in the hall...How did it go? Did you remove them successfully or did you have to add some type of support? Thanks!!

Unlikely you'll get a reply. The OP hasn't been here for 14 months.

Back
Top Bottom