resse goose box vs B&W Companion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bush

pro vs cons on each?

picking up a new edge 386 toyhauler and was planing to get the b&w but i hate to have the big hitch in the bed of the truck.  on my last small 5th wheel (29FT) i used a goose neck adapter with no trouble at all but didn't want to use an adapter on the big 5th wheel.

Be aware that goose neck hitches on 5th wheels are often a BAD idea. The RV frames are usually not built well enough to handle the additional stresses a goose neck hitch puts on them. Many manufacturers will void warranty for good reason if one is used.

I have a 44 ft toy hauler and we use 2 different B&W companions. We love them both. One is the puck system for our newer truck and the other is the companion that goes into the hide away ball system for the older truck. Both are super well built and worth the money.

If you have a gooseneck ball already mounted in your truck, you may want to look at the Andersen Ultimate hitch.  Attaches to gooseneck ball.  5 min to remove completely and weighs only 37 pounds!

It seems to me that some people don't know what the Reese Goose Box is. The Goose Box looks very similar to a regular pin box but is angled down slightly more than usual in order to hook to a gooseneck ball. This hitch is endorsed by Lippert and will not void the warranty on their frames.

I'm researching the Goose Box currently and trying to find out if it will fit the wing set on my trailer. If it does, I'm going to purchase one. There are a lot of great reviews out there and eliminating a fifth wheel hitch from the bed of the truck would be fantastic. Not to mention that it is air ride which should really smooth out some of those bumps.

I seriously considered the goose box before I bought the Andersen. I really like the way it works. The deal killer for me was weight. I needed to keep weight down as much as possible - very close to my GVWR. Otherwise I think it's a great alternative to a traditional hitch.

Joezeppy said:
I seriously considered the goose box before I bought the Andersen. I really like the way it works. The deal killer for me was weight. I needed to keep weight down as much as possible - very close to my GVWR. Otherwise I think it's a great alternative to a traditional hitch.

So you're saying that the goose box is 70-ish pounds heavier than a regular pin box?

The goose box is 159 lbs according to several websites. I don't know what a traditional pin box weighs (looks like a full setup is about 100 lbs - https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-King-Pin/Lippert-Components/LC1191151.html - so 50 lbs maybe?). The net difference is still more than the Andersen and it would be more difficult to line up. These are both factors that led me to the Andersen.

I ended up going with the b&w. Manly because it's cheaper.  I have never towed using a 5th wheel so I will compare it to gooseneck. If it gets to be a pain to remove from the truck I will end up selling it and get the inbox.  My buddy's that never used a gooseneck much say I will love the 5th wheel.  Guess we will see

Back
Top Bottom