Plumbing issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackice69

Hi everyone I am new to this site. My name is David and live in Alberta. I always find a lot of info to use on your site. It's a great place. I have a question that I am really confused about. We live in our trailer year round while I work so usually I can figure this out but we recently purchased a new to is camper and not sure how the plumbing works on this  one. We have a 2006 kz41 new vision sportsman. The problem we have been having is that the tub fills up while you are doing dishes or whatever and the tank is not even close to full. I have tryed to blow out the vent stack and antifreeze in the tank thinking it might be froze somewhere but no luck. Now the one way check valve on the city water hook up broke on me so I decided to fill the fresh water tank so we could at least have water until the part comes in but it comes out the city water connection instead of filling the fresh water tank. Can anyone throw me some ideas maybe I could try cause I am now. Thank you

No that was my first thought. I open it up barely anything comes out and then close it and it wouldn't  take long for water to come back up into the shower

I'm a little confused by your situation. Are you saying that you filled up your fresh water storage tank and turned the pump on, and when you use water and it goes down the drain...it comes OUT of the city water connection on the outside of the camper?

There's two different issues but I think they maybe connected somehow.  One is when you close the grey water valve it backs up into the shower. The other I just found out tonight is when I was trying to fill up the fresh water tank because the check valve on the city water connection broke so we could have water instead of going into the fresh water tank it came out the city water connection on the side of the trailer

Maybe I can try that. I know when the shower fills up I can open the black water valve and it drains instantly. What ever it is it's probably something simple and I just can't figure it out yet lol

Kinda weird but it almost sound like you are pulling on the wrong handles when draining. The black water valve should not have anything to do with your shower drain system....

How do you know the grey tank is not full, yet the shower stall/tub begins to fill. If my grey tank valve is closed and after a few days of boondocking my shower pan begins to fill that is a sure sign that grey water is full...and water seeks its on level...Maybe you haven't kept track of drain water accumulation....just a guess as usual...

I can close it and do 2 loads of dishes and maybe the kids washing there hands and it's coming up into the shower. All within the same day that's the only reason I don't think it's full. If I was to guess probably about 40-60 litres of water maybe

Is it possible to overfill the grey water tank and have water go into the vent pipe.if so is there another way to empty the vent pipe to drain it

Sounds like your grey tank vent pipe may have slipped down into the tank.  If it's end extends beyond the top of the tank, once it's submerged the air pocket in the tank becomes trapped and the tank pressurizes when you add more water.

The pressure prevents more water from entering the tank, so when you empty the sink the water backs up and goes out the lowest drain instead, in this case the one in the shower/tub.

Opening the tank's drain valve releases the pressure in the tank and the tub instantly drains.

The fix is to pull the vent pipe up until it's flush with the top of the tank.  Easy to do in theory, a bit harder in practice because you don't want to pull the pipe all the way out of the tank.  Maybe go up on the roof and see if the black tank vent pipe extends further above the roofline than the grey tank vent, if so pull the grey vent pipe up until it matches.

If you don't know your tank's capacity you can estimate it by measuring it's dimensions.  There's 231 cubic inches in a US gallon, so if you measure the tank's length x width x depth in inches, then divide by 231 you'll have it's capacity in gallons.

Perfect that sounds like it could be a very good possibility.  I will be checking that as soon as I can tomorrow during the day  I will let you know what happens. Thank you

As for the city inlet, you have to put a plug on that until you get the check valve replaced. You can't use the pump as long as that inlet remains open. Any hardware or home center will have a standard garden hose fitting for closing it off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom