Automated safety hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtall

Anybody on here own one, tried one, have any thoughts, opinions?  Would you feel safe pulling an 17k - 20k trailer behind a one ton pu, SRW with this?  Asking because I certainly am not experienced enough to judge the safety of this type of hitch, so looking to some of the experts.  Did a search, couldn't find where this had been discussed.

http://www.automatedsafetyhitch.com/the-automated-safety-hitch/professional-automated-safety-hitch-system/

Thanks
John

+Well I believe I saw one of these in a campground near Williams, AZ last summer or fall. I did not get to talk to the owner, but he had a large 5th wheel and the tow vehicle was a Ford  pickup with a cab high camper shell.
I was wondering about the rig at the time, looks interesting.

I've been looking at this for three years. We've had some discussions on the forum (http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,91916.0.html). I've visited the factory and was duly impressed by the product. It's leaps and bounds more robust and well thought out than the "Tow Dolly" that you might see advertised. I'm still considering it due to my own circumstances. I think it's safe. It takes away the concern about pin weight. The disc brakes are a huge plus. The fact that the wheels track when making a turn is great. It's a rigid extension to your truck bed making your ride more stable. In fact it has been verified as such by the DOT. There are a few potential concerns that you have to consider. Since there's less weight on your truck bed you should have a 4X4. You are going to have a very long overall rig, potentially putting you outside some states' restrictions. Consider your GCWR since the hitch weighs in the vicinity of 1.3K. Finally, it's quite pricey, running in excess of $10,000. Additionally, you have one more thing in your life that could have issues. It has brakes, a battery, tires, a mechanism that holds the tires straight when traveling down the highway but allows them to turn when your turn signal is deployed. Those are electrical/mechanical things that can potentially go awry.  I know that about 500 of them have been sold and I can't find anything negative about them on internet search but "buyer beware".
Bob

I just bought one and have it setting in my back yard but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.  Probably wont be able to use it for a few months still but I will let you know how it is.  I have been researching this for years and while I have seen a lot of negative comments they are only from the folks who have never used one.  I have talked to several people who actually have them and they all love them.  Yes it is a lot of money but I think it is worth it for the positive safety features it offers.  Just my opinion.

Steve

prfcdoc said:
I'm interested in feedback from someone who has used one.
Bob
Exactly, there are many comments from people that have never tried one, or used one, in many cases it appears they simply look at the picture and decide it can't work.  Attitudes like that leave us still walking on our feet with no tech advance at all.  While I admit to being a bit skeptical, the fact is they have sold a little of 400, (per them), and I cannot find a single critical statement from an owner on the net.  Downside, I've not been able to talk with an actual owner.
John

I absolutey believe they "work" and that there are people happily using them. As a mechanic though, all I see is an addition of multiple failure points with some pretty serious forces being applied and people trying to get around buying a truck instead of their SUV, or getting a big enough truck to do the job. To me it's as simple as using the right tool for the job, this is an adapter for the wrong tool to do the job. Them adding the word "safety" to its name is a great job by the advertising department if you ask me.

And if I may jump to a conclusion as to why you are interested in this hitch. Your question about a 17K-20K pound trailer behind your SRW truck leads me to believe towing that trailer will put you over your rear axle weight rating so cheating with this will allow you to pull more trailer then you could if it was correctly hooked to the truck itself. I know I'm just another one of those opinions from someone who hasn't used it but there's probably a reason there's so many of us, and why you can't get many opinions of the positive side.

I know it's not exactly the same model, but doesn't Bill Waugh (HueyPilot) use something similar?

glockholiday said:
I absolutey believe they "work" and that there are people happily using them. As a mechanic though, all I see is an addition of multiple failure points with some pretty serious forces being applied and people trying to get around buying a truck instead of their SUV, or getting a big enough truck to do the job. To me it's as simple as using the right tool for the job, this is an adapter for the wrong tool to do the job. Them adding the word "safety" to its name is a great job by the advertising department if you ask me.

And if I may jump to a conclusion as to why you are interested in this hitch. Your question about a 17K-20K pound trailer behind your SRW truck leads me to believe towing that trailer will put you over your rear axle weight rating so cheating with this will allow you to pull more trailer then you could if it was correctly hooked to the truck itself. I know I'm just another one of those opinions from someone who hasn't used it but there's probably a reason there's so many of us, and why you can't get many opinions of the positive side.

Actually, I currently don't own a SRW truck, nor do I own a 17 - 20k trailer nor do I "cheat" when I tow.  I contacted them and was told I could pull a 17 - 20 k trailer with a 3/4 ton srw, 4x4, I simply asked how many people would feel safe.  That being said, I like the idea of being able to keep my truck bed empty in order to make use of it.  Trucking companies have long used differing types of "dollies" to remove hitch weight, etc and allow them to SAFELY tow higher weights. 
I'm not an engineer, and I don't "speculate" when it comes to safety, nor do I use the term, "leads me to believe", I utilize facts and mathematical computations to decide what is safe. 

The disadvantage is the trailer's weight is not transferred onto the truck, so your traction and control is the same as an unloaded truck.

I agree with jtall, it's a way to adapt the wrong tool for the job, adding a lot of unnecessary complication to what should be a simple connection.

I could see where it would be useful, but for $10,000, why not put that money towards a truck that would handle the load without needing this piece of equipment?  Also, the former trucker in me wishes they had set the connection point a little further forward like a lowboy jeep. Doing so would have transferred a portion of the weight to the drive axle of the tow vehicle.

I'm an owner that will talk to you.  I've had one for about 5 years.  PM me and we can set up a call if you'd like.

Disclaimer:  I liked it so much that I offered to make the videos for his web site (the good ones).  Other than getting paid for my time doing them, I am not an employee in any sense of the word.

Firsthand experience with an ASH. Back in 2013 when we decided to go see America I stumbled across the Safety Hitch and really liked the idea of having the truck bed free (that was our biggest selling point) among other things. So in 2014 we set it up and purchased one. And that is where what seemed like a good idea got loaded into the proverbial handbasket to He**.

It took almost a year to get our unit, we started having issues with it from the moment I picked it up and pulled it home. Nothing worked correctly or as advertised. Taillights didn't work right, had a fender pull off the frame while on the road (was only tack welded), the ASH couldn't communicate with the truck OEM Brake Controller so we had no brakes on the ASH and the 5th wheel, 1st time we set the trailer up the 3 point landing gear collapsed which caused the trailer to take an interesting pitch forward and down. The axle mechanism would lock and unlock while backing up so all of a sudden we would have an axle that did its own thing. The modifications made to our OEM hitch for the 3 point connection system was botched so the receivers were sitting at odd angles and would bind up making connecting/disconnecting a major chore. There is so much more that went wrong but its a long list and in short we came to a settlement with ASH Inc.

One could say we just got a bad one but around the same time I was contacted by 2 other purchasers that problems equal to or worse than ours including according to them severe stability issues while driving. Since that time I've spoken to or read stuff from 4 other purchasers that have had some major problems with their units and chased refunds or filed complaints or lawsuits.

The company has been sued twice in the last year and there are 3 complaints on the Denton County BB site and many comments from unhappy purchasers on FB. There are 4 total company FB pages plus one created by a disgruntled customer called Safety Issues with Automated Safety Hitch. There are comments from several unhappy former owners as well as ex-employees across those pages. I've seen ads for at least 4 brand new hitches for sale in the last year, IMO you don't spend 10-12 K and then sell something with 2-3000 miles on it unless there is a reason.

I know there are folks that are satisfied with their hitch but that many people with bad experiences in a short amount of time indicates that something isn't right somewhere. Its a good idea on paper, reality proved to be something different. I wouldn't recommend one these hitches to my worst enemy I don't hate anybody that much.

Apologies that my first post is such a negative one but I think if some folks had posted up their experiences (good and bad) might not have wasted a lot of time and money on this.

Robert

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am an owner and know quite a bit about the Automated Safety Hitch System.  I am not a full timer and only use it four or five times a year for trips of 1000 miles or less, round trip.  I probably have gotten a lot of my knowledge about the ASH from doing the videos that are on the web site.  I am an Electrical and Computer Engineer but that gives me no special authority concerning the ASH.  I mention it only to relay that I am not stupid or prone to wild theories.

First let me speak to Roberts? response above.  I am not surprised by some of the things that Robert mentioned.  For at least a couple things, I am surprised.  The fender should not have come off.  The bracket that the fender is bolted to (three brackets, I believe) should have been completely welded and inspected before the unit went for powder coating.    I do not know how many of them were not completely welded but one would be too many.  If the OEM hitch was welded up incorrectly, that should have been identified immediately the first time it was hooked up.  They have a jig and plenty of hitches to test that fit.  The ASH really does not communicate with the trucks? brake controller, it has a set if wires going straight through to the trailer (7-pin in and 7-pin out), tapping off and sensing the voltage from the brake and turn signals to operate its own brakes and turn signals.  This tap is also used for the unlatching logic.  Basically, if the trailer brakes and lights did not work, one of the 7-pin connectors was at fault.  When backing, there is no difference between a turn signal (or emergency flashers) and tapping the brakes repeatedly.  Meet the required number of flashes in a certain amount of time and it will unlatch.  My wife and I have a routine where she disconnects the lock actuator before we back in a space.  The case that Robert described probably fell into that category (note that at least during that time, he had a good connection).  The landing gear is lowered by gravity when disconnecting.  If you look at the disconnecting video, you will see that the tow vehicle is allowed to creep ahead at a slow but significant pace.  It is that final jerk at the end that raises the hitch so that the landing gear can fully drop.  It can take it. Once dropped, there are holes to insert a bolt to keep it locked in that position.

On a different forum, a person complained that the steering latch could bounce and become unlatched if a bump was hit.  The latch is held down against a spring.  The bump to cause it to be unlatched would cause stability issues but not because of the latch but because the tires of your TV, the ASH and your trailer had left the pavement and you are now bouncing down the highway.  I had to throw that one in here because it was so unreasonable.  (Also, the latch can only lock the axle straight, it cannot fall on the other side of the blocks, locking the axle in a grossly oversteered condition.)

I received a phone call concerning a rig that was swaying from side to side on a day where there was no side wind.  A check of all of the tires showed that many of them were underinflated (down to 30 pounds on some).  Pumped them up to recommended pressure and things were fine.  It was going to be squirrely if it was a bed mounted hitch also.

I occasionally search for articles/posts about the ASH.  That is how I found this thread.  Several things that I have noticed over the years is that generally, there are more complaints that praises for it and people don?t like it because of misinformation they have heard.  (hate it for the right reasons).  I can only think that because a majority of the other owners do not look like I do, they do not respond to questions or misinformation.  To be honest, I do not Google my truck looking for comments and it is much more important to me.  I can only assume that those 300 to 400 owners like their hitch.  Otherwise they would be right there with Robert, telling everyone to avoid it.  Obviously, I like it.  I understand it and I know what it is capable of and what its? limitations are.  It is not a cure-all that will make anyone an instant expert.  Like any piece of equipment, there is a learning curve.  I am hoping that in the future, there will be more of a community involvement (ASH community, that is) where questions, comments, likes, dislikes, stories and bragging about their rigs will be common.  All ASH owners have the same problem.  Whenever we stop at a RV park, we get to answer questions about the hitch.  Talking about it on the internet would not be much different.

Sorry for the long post.  FYI, I do not plan on getting into a posting battle with anyone.

I have read a bunch of posts about this product. Most of the discussions revolve around the technical aspects of weight, towing and how the product would perform. These posts are usually several years old when product was available.
I was convinced this was a good product and actually paid for one. I have received nothing but broken promises and excuses. It has become obvious there is no intention to supply the product or refund my money.
My point? All this discussion about the technical merits is a moot point. There is a long line of people that never received their hitch after paying for it.

For the sake of making a final statement concerning Red Dawgs? comment, I will say this.

I have talked to Red Dawg and Joe.  There is a definite disagreement between the two of them. I attempted to mediate a call between then but both declined for their own reasons.  It will be up to them to resolve their differences.  Not being part of the company, I have no authority to make claims or comments concerning this dispute.  I do have an interest in that I need to make sure that the company that I ?appear? to represent is not fraudulent.  I do not believe that to be the case based on what I know.  But, as I have said before, I do not have insight into the company.

I can say that hitches are being made and delivered as soon as this week.  I saw them when I dropped off my hitch to have my tail lights replaced with the sleeker, inset ones.  I will pick it up in a couple weeks on my trip back home.  I know of many owners that love their hitches and have not interacted with an owner that is dissatisfied.  That is all I can say.

Interesting to say the lease and perhaps a good approach for those with towing issues. In general covering, a 5ver to a tow behind seems counter-intuitive unless you have towing issues.

I see them at equestrian  events...rodeo events.....stock show events mostly behind a big suv's/large vans with lots of seating for large families.
I met one owner some years back that had the big Ford EXcursion diesel pulling about 32'-35' 5th wheel toy hauler. The big suv and the TH were full of "crafts" he and his wife made in the winter in southern California....then went east in the spring selling their craft here and there. The big X replaced a F350 DRW. His comment was the one ton X.... automated hitch system....5th wheel stopped much quicker and felt just as stable at any speed or wind condition as the F350DRW/trailer combo.

Just like double tow topics lots of folks have never done it and somehow feel its unsafe.

Would I use one ??  In a heart beat if that was my best solution.
Does the average rv owner need one. Probably not....but its his/her decision to make for their particular situation.

Back
Top Bottom