Any thoughts on living in RV with a 3year old and newborn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

racheltatt

My husband is in the military and we will be moving in a few months to the FT Bliss/ El Paso TX area, where he will be attending an Academy. We should only be there around a year. We have been toying with the idea of buying a 5th wheel and living in it for the year to pay off a significant chunk of it. There is a MWR (military) camp right outside of the base and we know from friends that have gone to the same school that others have done the same. we have a daughter who will be three at the time, but we are pretty outdoorsy so I don't think it would be a huge issue with her. I just found out, however that I am pregnant and am now second guessing this plan. We would arrive about 2/3 Through the pregnancy and the baby would be in the RV for about 8 months before our next assignment. We do not plan on living in the RV permanently, but have rented them in the past and really love the idea of having one for travel. So on the one hand I am wondering if I am absolutely crazy considering being pregnant in an RV with a 3 year old, and then having a newborn and 3 year old in such a small space (oh and a 35 pound dog). On the other hand I feel like a year of close quarters might be worth all the years of having a paid off RV to enjoy weekend and leave trips in. Anyone done something similar or have some words of wisdom? Feel free to tell me I am crazy lol. Thanks in advance

Ages ago (about 5 decades) My family lived in a mobile home... back then they were just called trailers. Dad was in the Air Force. I was 3 or 4 years old, and my sister was 2 years older.

That trailer house from the 60's was about the same size as a lot of the 5th wheel RVs of today. It could be moved with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. Mom handled living in that trailer with my older sister and I just fine.

With slideouts you will probably have more room that we had.

The one thing I would recommend because of the pregnancy is that you have a good solid porch and steps with handrail built. RV steps can get tricky when you are having trouble with balance. Otherwise, like George Carlin would say: "It's a box to put your stuff in!" And that's all you really need, right?

Couple years a military wife had a blog doing exactly what your asking.  Except she had three, one disabled and two large dogs.  It can be done.  You just have to have the right floor plan and really enjoy each other.  Flor plan is everything.  There are quite a few fivers with bunk rooms in the rear for kids, toys and stuff where you can put them to bed and still have a house to yourselves.  Truck is for sure your second big choice.  For large fivers a dually is definitely your best choice.  It may not be ideal for day to day commuting, but you always have the option of following your the current family car.

It can get very hot in west Texas in the summers and surprisingly cold in the winters, so if you do this I would certainly suggest getting a model with good insulation.

I think it can be done...look at the Mormon women who came across the country in wagons and had babies along the way. You gals are tough!!!

I'd make sure whatever you buy has two air conditioners. One won't cut it.

Slideout covers are another must as they provide shade to the slideout roof.

Been there, done that 24ish odd years ago with a 1-year-old, it's very doable.

It's not without it's struggles but if you embrace the lifestyle my guess is that you'll do fine.

Arch Hoagland said:
I think it can be done...look at the Mormon women who came across the country in wagons and had babies along the way. You gals are tough!!!

I'd make sure whatever you buy has two air conditioners. One won't cut it.

Slideout covers are another must as they provide shade to the slideout roof.
Two A/Cs might be nice but pioneer women didn't have them. ;)

There are tricks that one learns like finding a spot with trees if possible, if not, having the Awning face south to shade the southern side, roof vents with fans and open windows...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom