Improving Diesel Engine Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F

fijidad

Any recommendations for improving the performance of my Cummins ISC350, such as a Banks system or propane injection?

http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/23-Propane-&-the-Diesel

http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/faq.html

The diesel tuners/chips (sometimes called "programmers") get a lot of attention. I have no experience or wisdom to offer concerning them, though.
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/programmers.htm
http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.aspx

I heard from a Banks Sales Rep who said the Banks Double Shot Water Methanol System is the only thing they have to offer for this Cummins engine....at $1,665.

I'll have to check their web page to see what improvements I can expect for that expenditure.  Dan

I think that is right, re Banks anyway.

I think you will find that any of the performance enhancement upgrades are pricey for relatively small gain. The electronic-control, fuel injected RV diesels are already highly power efficient, and they are also limited in how much additional power they can handle (mechanically). The engines are already rated at higher hp and torque in RV applications, so there isn't a lot more room like there is on lower-powered configurations of the same engine block. You may also encounter hp & torque limits at the transmission and driveline, but you probably have an Allison 3000 tranny and that is rated above anything an ISC can hope to reach at a reasonable price. Most 3000's of your era are rated for 1200 lb-ft and 400 hp.

I installed a programmer in my Ford F-250 only after I installed a turbo boost gauge, a pre-turbo exhaust temperature Gauge, a cool air intake, conical high flow air filter, and a 6" exhaust.  It was still easy to get the turbo temperature into the red zone going up some steep hills.

That was a cheap engine compared to what's in your motorhome.

In short, I wouldn't do it.  It's a house on wheels, not a race car.

My Mustang has a programmer too, and enhanced suspension & brakes.  I like programmers!

When they overhauled the engine on this 92, they tweeked it up near 10% they said they could do more, but my husband Tom said don't do it anymore he was worried about the transmission being able to handle it. I can't remember what they said they did, mechanics aren't my thing but also helped it a bit in accelerating.  Not a lot but doesn't drag like it used to.  At 300 hp and a 4 speed transmission it certainly is no speed demon starting out but picks up quicker. 

Only thing that is pretty slow is if I exit a rest stop starting out going up hill, but then I'm right behind the semis.  LOL!  That's what hubby said notice who you are running with.  He keeps reminding me, its a diesel dear, and one of the older ones.  My pac brake was ok before but it works great now, its not a new one. This was the most economical way to go for us. I sometimes hate to be so practical. LOL!

Just hoping next isn't a transmission, shouldn't even say that out loud.

Well, since I started this, I thought I'd play my hand...I'm standing pat.

And PatStab and her hubby summed it up pretty well.....remember it's a diesel , and who you're running with. I get that.

What I think it boils down to is me becoming a better driver of a 29,000 pound, 36-foot diesel vehicle.

Looking even farther down the road for hills, slow-moving trucks, idiots, etc.

Thanks for each response. Much appreciated.  Regards,  Dan

Extra power and performance with propane, helps you drive more efficiently especially in those annoying rolling hills and steeper grades.  Fuel economy is improved too.

Your RV is a lot newer than my old 95 and mine is not an ISC but the first thing I did was remove the restrictive 5in intake hose and replace with 6in pipe then made a plenum on the end intake. Next I replaced the exhaust gaskets, welded the exhaust manifold and had it machined flat again. The turbo relief wasn't shutting all the way, instead it was stuck partly open and the exhaust brake was sticking shut occasionally. After all of this I gained so much more boost it blew off the connections to the aftercooler.

She runs MUCH better now. Even had to adjust the transmissions throttle input sensor back to its proper position.

Back
Top Bottom