TV woes (dead HDMI)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herekittykitty

The large Vizio TV that came with my rig has 2 dead/dying HDMI ports (already! - I've only used it for a year and a half), and that's how I connect my laptop for streaming TV. (And yes, I did buy a new cable to check.)

Don't know what to do now. It's on a reticulating arm and I'm not even sure how to get it off there, or whether there are places that will fix the ports for a reasonable sum if I did?

I maybe have one alternative, which I'm running by you all for opinions. There is an RGB port with a corresponding "PC audio in" port on this TV, and my laptop is so old that it also has an RGB port. If I bought an RGB cable and the audio cable, would this be an acceptable substitute for the HDMI connection?

It will work if your computer has a serial monitor port.  That's the setup I had in both the RV and the S/B house until my laptop died and the new one I got didn't have a serial port.
Too bad you didn't post this a few weeks ago.  I just threw out a combo cable(had both the serial cable and the audio cable in one)as we were clearing stuff out of the house to put it on the market.
I believe I got both of my cables on Ebay fairly cheaply.

As far as removing the TV from the mount.  I've just changed out both the TV's in our new to us coach and thus spent some time studying mounts.
Most of them I looked at had a plate that attaches to the back of the TV with 4 screws.  This plate then hooks over the end of the arm and has one or 2 screws to lock it to the arm.  You can remove those screws(on the one I had with 2, the top one only had to be loosened)and lift the TV with the mount plate off of the bracket. 
Most of the newer flat screens are pretty light, compared to that old 23" console I drug from place to place for 20 years.

Contact Vizio. It may be out of warrantee but they can guide you in service possibilities.
Unless rig builder did something special/weird there are four screws (standard VESA) holding your articulated mount to the back of the TV...they simply unscrew.

Both ports dying at the same time should be rare.

Did you plug and unplug the cable to both ports on a regular bases?

Is there anyone around you that you could borrow a HDMI cable from just to rule out the new one
is or isn't bad?  Usually the thicker the cable the better the cable.

You asked if the RGB cable setup would work and the answer is YES
However HDMI is HIGH DEF and capable of 1080 resolution where as the RGB is more like 480.
So most people can tell a big difference and you may not like the results of a RGB setup.  I know I wouldn't.

SeilerBird said:
I would try yet another HDMI cable. The cheaper ones are notoriously bad.

Naw, I know this one's good because I had a signal... for about 10 seconds, until I moved the TV. That's the same symptoms I've been having.  :(

Old_Crow said:
It will work if your computer has a serial monitor port.  That's the setup I had in both the RV and the S/B house until my laptop died and the new one I got didn't have a serial port.
Too bad you didn't post this a few weeks ago.  I just threw out a combo cable(had both the serial cable and the audio cable in one)as we were clearing stuff out of the house to put it on the market.

You're right! That would have been nice. I did order one off Amazon for $9. Will be here Tues with Prime.

FWIW, I discovered that not having a serial port on your laptop/computer isn't an issue any more. On Amazon I found a dongle that will convert an HDMI port to a serial one! Who knew?

https://www.amazon.com/IDEAPRO-Portable-Converter-Adapter-Desktop/dp/B01GO183AW

RedandSilver said:
Both ports dying at the same time should be rare.

Not from what I saw on YouTube. They probably go to the same chip inside the TV.

RedandSilver said:
You asked if the RGB cable setup would work and the answer is YES
However HDMI is HIGH DEF and capable of 1080 resolution where as the RGB is more like 480.
So most people can tell a big difference and you may not like the results of a RGB setup.  I know I wouldn't.

Oh. Crap. You're likely right, then.  :(

bobsharon said:
Contact Vizio. It may be out of warrantee but they can guide you in service possibilities.
Unless rig builder did something special/weird there are four screws (standard VESA) holding your articulated mount to the back of the TV...they simply unscrew.

Funny it never occurred to me to contact Vizio! I will likely do that, too. Thanks.

As someone living in the 21st century  ;D I just want to add that physically connecting a laptop to a TV was lapped a while ago by buying a Chromecast (or similar) device and connecting both through your router instead. No more fumbling around with cables, no more balancing your laptop on your entertainment center, no more limiting yourself to one or the other but not both.

Chromecast is too simple and too cheap.

Desert_Rat said:
As someone living in the 21st century  ;D I just want to add that physically connecting a laptop to a TV was lapped a while ago by buying a Chromecast (or similar) device and connecting both through your router instead. No more fumbling around with cables, no more balancing your laptop on your entertainment center, no more limiting yourself to one or the other but not both.

Chromecast is too simple and too cheap.

Oh, wow. Maybe I HAVE been lagging behind?

There might be one small problem with that, though. Anything going through my router costs me $$ I can't afford... unless Chromecast et. al. generates its own local signal? I get all my internet from my Jetpack/Verizon.

Chromecast, specifically, requires a internet connection (other similar devices do not), but it doesn't actually send data over it so there would be no usage charges

Desert_Rat said:
Chromecast, specifically, requires a internet connection (other similar devices do not), but it doesn't actually send data over it so there would be no usage charges

Guess I'll have to check this out, because I can't imagine a device which requires an internet connection but then sends no data that way.

Which "similar devices"? I would love to find a wireless solution that doesn't also suck up gigs from my modem!  :D

Rat, you say the ChromeCast requires an internet connection.  Does it require the actual internet, or will it work with just a router?
I wouldn't mind casting from my tablet or using my wireless printer for that matter.

Old_Crow said:
Rat, you say the ChromeCast requires an internet connection.  Does it require the actual internet, or will it work with just a router?
I wouldn't mind casting from my tablet or using my wireless printer for that matter.
It does not use the Internet, it just uses the Wifi to broadcast the signal. Just like a wireless printer.

Attachments

• 41a2hf6kDSL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg
    41a2hf6kDSL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 3
herekittykitty said:
Guess I'll have to check this out, because I can't imagine a device which requires an internet connection but then sends no data that way.

Which "similar devices"? I would love to find a wireless solution that doesn't also suck up gigs from my modem!  :D

By default Chromecast requires an internet connection because its backgrounds and your login credentials are online, it doesn't pass any more data then that though. This helpful soul explains how to get around the issue of using it without a live internet connection:  https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/38sb3v/lpt_use_chromecast_without_internetmobile_data_by/crxfse8/

As far as devices that are similar, I can't attest to either but there's Airplay and Miracast, or whatever newer product Best Buy could recommend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom