TV woes (dead HDMI)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom_M said:
If your PC has a standard 15 pin VGA connector as well as your TV, the simplest solution is to use a VGA video cable.

Yeah, that's probably the same one I just ordered. This is going to be my next solution.

Do you have the manual for the Visio?  Try doing a hard reset.  If that doesn't work try updating the firmware.

If your current computer a Mac?  Did you update to Sierra recently?  If so the problem is probably not the TV.

Do you have any other HDMI capable devices you can connect to the TV?

8Muddypaws said:
Do you have the manual for the Visio?  Try doing a hard reset.  If that doesn't work try updating the firmware.

If your current computer a Mac?  Did you update to Sierra recently?  If so the problem is probably not the TV.

Do you have any other HDMI capable devices you can connect to the TV?

I did call Vizio today and did a hard reset - no change. We went through all the most obvious possibilities (new cable; connect to another device) and even they decided it must be the TV's HDMI ports.

Now I'm trying to get repair estimates from 2 places to see whether it's cost effective to repair, while I wait for my VGA + audio cable to arrive.

Just some thoughts for future consideration...
HDMI connectors are not really designed for continuous connect/disconnect/reconnect. After you repair or replace your TV get a sacrificial extension cable for HDMI to connect to the TV and leave it connected all the time. Connect and reconnect your laptop to that to save wear and tear on the TV. Also, make sure TV and Laptop are powered off while doing so...electrical transients may have caused your failure rather than wear and tear.
Good luck!

bobsharon said:
Just some thoughts for future consideration...
HDMI connectors are not really designed for continuous connect/disconnect/reconnect. After you repair or replace your TV get a sacrificial extension cable for HDMI to connect to the TV and leave it connected all the time. Connect and reconnect your laptop to that to save wear and tear on the TV. Also, make sure TV and Laptop are powered off while doing so...electrical transients may have caused your failure rather than wear and tear.
Good luck!

Wish I could say that did it, but that HDMI cable was never disconnected until I started having problems and had to trouble-shoot. (And the laptop is dedicated to that TV alone and never moved, so I rarely disconnected the cable from that end, either.)

But I will take your advice seriously for any future projects that require an HDMI cable. The TV was always turned off when the cable was being disconnected, but not the laptop. Wouldn't have thought of that.

So, here's the update:

(1) The RGB (VGA) + audio cable I ordered is doing the trick! I'm perfectly satisfied with the screen resolution I'm seeing and thrilled that this was such a cheap fix. Yeah!!  ;D

(2) The repair people that Vizio referred me to no longer support my TV (it's only 3 years old!!). When I called Vizio back, they said that since they're no longer making this TV, they also don't have parts, so replacing the board that runs the HDMI ports depends entirely on whether a distributor still has it.

I guess this was my up-close-and-personal lesson in planned obsolescence? (An expensive 24" TV that's only 3 years old going straight to the dump??)

My biggest concern was that the board that ran the HDMI ports might also be the one that supported the RGB port. I am so relieved that this is not the case.

herekittykitty said:
So, here's the update:

(1) The RGB (VGA) + audio cable I ordered is doing the trick! I'm perfectly satisfied with the screen resolution I'm seeing and thrilled that this was such a cheap fix. Yeah!!  ;D

(2) The repair people that Vizio referred me to no longer support my TV (it's only 3 years old!!). When I called Vizio back, they said that since they're no longer making this TV, they also don't have parts, so replacing the board that runs the HDMI ports depends entirely on whether a distributor still has it.

I guess this was my up-close-and-personal lesson in planned obsolescence? (An expensive 24" TV that's only 3 years old going straight to the dump??)

My biggest concern was that the board that ran the HDMI ports might also be the one that supported the RGB port. I am so relieved that this is not the case.

Glad it worked out for you.

I didn't know your TV was only 24" - so that is why the picture looks fine to you.
A VGA on a 42" or bigger TV wouldn't look as good, IMO  At least not as good as HDMI.

I doubt that it's worth getting it fixed at a TV repair place, even IF they did have the parts in stock.
Especially since you think it looks fine.  But you just might want to start saving for a replacement...........

Expensive 24"???????  is it 12volt?  Has a DVD built in?

24 inch tv is no longer expensive. Here is one for $88:

https://www.amazon.com/Element-ELEFW248R-720p-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01HQUAX94/ref=sr_1_3?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1485358659&sr=1-3&keywords=24+inch+tv

It looks like the video inputs on Visio 24" TVs might be on the main board.  I.e. Not a separate board that can be easily replaced.  But without knowing the model number that's a generalization based upon a small sample of their TVs.

Probably a single chip went bad.  How are you with microsoldering SMDs?  :eek:

LOL!  ;D Goes to show you that I've never bought (myself) a 24" TV. Which to me is huge.

All I know are the prices I see in Costco as I rush past the gigantic TVs, but now that I think about it, those really are gigantic. I guess 24" isn't so big anymore, nor very expensive. So it really is disposable, and if/when the RGB (VGA) port dies, I'll just donate it and buy another.

CORRECTION: I just measured mine, and it's 32", not 24". But it's larger than I need, and if I need a new one, I will likely replace it with a 24".

We just got this coach in December.  The very first thing I did was replace both CRT TV's. 
For the salon, I got a 32" Element for under $150, and a 24" Samsung for the stateroom for under $100, both at WallyWorld. 
Heck the wall bracket I had to buy for the salon TV was almost more than the stateroom TV.
Only complaint I have with either TV is that none of the remote codes that Element provides will work with the Dish receiver remote.  First world problems, right?

herekittykitty said:
Don't know what to do now. It's on a reticulating arm and I'm not even sure how to get it off there, or whether there are places that will fix the ports for a reasonable sum if I did?

Did you upgrade your software to Windows 10?  Have you tried using the HDMI to TV with any other device (DVD player)?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom