To invert or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NY_Dutch said:
The 12-volt items draw power directly from the battery, not from the inverter. As for the generator, I would monitor the battery level and start the genny as needed to recharge. Or anytime you want to use high draw items like an A/C. Be aware that the microwave will put a pretty good load on the battery when running from the inverter, so minimize using it. We often have the generator running while on the road in hot weather to power one or both A/C's when the dash A/C can't keep up.

Thanks for the info.

My reason for asking about using the microwave with the inverter was if at a rest area and wanted to do a frozen meal for lunch
running the microwave for 4-5 minutes would that be a problem?
I know I could start the generator up to use a microwave, but I wouldn't want to start a generator up for 5 minutes and then shut it down.
Especially if I didn't need to run an AC unit or put any other load on the generator.
IF the microwave would put to much load on the batteries then would I be better off leaving the diesel engine running?
But my engine manual says that idle for more than 5 minutes should be avoided.  I guess my engine is a lot different then all the engines
in semi-trucks because they idle theirs for hours on end.
Just trying to get this all straight so I don't hurt or break anything - which gets expensive in a hurry.

We routinely use our microwave through the inverter when stopping for lunch but just keep an eye on the battery bank state of charge and use that as your guide.  Once you get a feel for it you will have a baseline to go off of and have a better idea of when the generator will need to be started.

Mike.

My reason for asking about using the microwave with the inverter was if at a rest area and wanted to do a frozen meal for lunch
running the microwave for 4-5 minutes would that be a problem?

No, not as long as those 4x 6v batteries are in decent condition.

I know I could start the generator up to use a microwave, but I wouldn't want to start a generator up for 5 minutes and then shut it down.

You worry too much. It's there to use, so use it. However, if you feel you need to let it run a few more minutes, you can do that too.

But my engine manual says that idle for more than 5 minutes should be avoided.  I guess my engine is a lot different then all the engines
in semi-trucks because they idle theirs for hours on end.

Avoiding a long idle is a good thing, but "avoid" doesn't mean you cannot do it when the situation makes it helpful. Heck, you could get caught in a traffic tie-up and idle that long. Your engine won't self-destruct if it idles for 5.5 minutes. 

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
No, not as long as those 4x 6v batteries are in decent condition.

You worry too much. It's there to use, so use it. However, if you feel you need to let it run a few more minutes, you can do that too.

Avoiding a long idle is a good thing, but "avoid" doesn't mean you cannot do it when the situation makes it helpful. Heck, you could get caught in a traffic tie-up and idle that long. Your engine won't self-destruct if it idles for 5.5 minutes.

All the above.

But FWIW ?

I installed a (DIY) Idle RPM Control on my 012 6.7, using Ford's "Truck Builder" web site wiring info.

Found it to be Very, Very handy when: caught in traffic, doing a Jump Start, [using the Inverter for the 5r microwave during a lunch break].. all kinds of uses.

Trans in Park, P-brake set.. flip upfitter switch #4 On.. Idle RPM comes up to 1000 RPM. ( controlled by a potenciometer (sic) I added in)

I'd bet Cat, Cummins and the rest have these set-ups too (?), if anyone wanted to go that way.

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
The cruise control for many (most?) diesel pusher motorhomes has a fast idle function built in.

What would be the tell tail sign that my unit has that feature?
Or in other words - how do I test to see it it exists?

My cruise control is on the turn signal lever.

RedandSilver said:

Both diesel units I've had also had a "Smart Wheel" and to get fast idle you turn on the cruise control, then one of two things: Pressing SET brings it up to fast idle on our Freightliner/Cummins Newmar coach, while on our previous Beaver repeatedly pressing RES gave you varying degrees of fast idle.

Larry N. said:
Both diesel units I've had also had a "Smart Wheel" and to get fast idle you turn on the cruise control, then one of two things: Pressing SET brings it up to fast idle on our Freightliner/Cummins Newmar coach, while on our previous Beaver repeatedly pressing RES gave you varying degrees of fast idle.

Larry, do you not have the Beaver any longer that you had in Texas two years ago?

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
Larry, do you not have the Beaver any longer that you had in Texas two years ago?

Mike.

No, Mike. We downsized to a Newmar Ventana (see my sig) last summer. DW was never very fond of the Beaver, and we needed to shrink, too. We actually started out looking at various Sprinter-based units, but ultimately decided they were too small. We lost some comforts but gained some things, too. There's a good chance this will be our last one, even if that's 10 or more years away. We'll see, though.

Larry N. said:
No, Mike. We downsized to a Newmar Ventana (see my sig) last summer. DW was never very fond of the Beaver, and we needed to shrink, too. We actually started out looking at various Sprinter-based units, but ultimately decided they were too small. We lost some comforts but gained some things, too. There's a good chance this will be our last one, even if that's 10 or more years away. We'll see, though.

Belated congrats on the new coach Larry.  That Beaver Patriot Thunder of yours was absolutely gorgeous though.  Must have been hard to let that one go.

Hope you have many, many safe and happy miles in your new one.

Mike.

With the engine running in neutral, use the speed + (or similar) button and see if the engine rpms  increase.

The stalk-mounted cruise may not offer that feature, but rigs that have a "smart" steering wheel (controls on the wheel) will typically have it.

zmotorsports said:
Belated congrats on the new coach Larry.  That Beaver Patriot Thunder of yours was absolutely gorgeous though.  Must have been hard to let that one go.

Hope you have many, many safe and happy miles in your new one.

Mike.
Thanks, Mike. I had mixed feelings about the change, but DW is much happier, and that makes a big difference.

With a residential refrigerator - whether or not to run the invertor is pretty much a rhetorical question.  The only time we explicitly turn the inverter OFF is when we're not connected to shore power, can't run the generator (location, quiet hours, etc.) - and need to ration our available battery reserves.  Under normal circumstances - when we're using the coach and not connected to shore power (i.e., actually driving or parked where there's no shore power available) - the inverter is ON. 

So, my inexperience comes through...I have a 2013 Jayco class C. This will be my 3rd summer using it to beat the Az. heat. I have never turned my inverter on, and from what I'm reading here I should have been.  We stick pretty much to rv parks and have shore power almost all the time.  Havew only dry camped a few times over the last 2 summers. Should I turn it on and leave on even when staying in one location on shore power for an extended period of time? I honestly have never really understood what it was for.

Thanx

I have never turned my inverter on, and from what I'm reading here I should have been..... I honestly have never really understood what it was for..

Perhaps there is a bit of confusion in terminology here.

An INVerter creates 120V A/C from 12V DC (your batteries). A CONverter uses 120V and supplies 12V DC to charge the batteries and help run the 12V side of your RV when plugged in. If you do not have a household type of refrigerator, it is not likely you have or need an INVerter even installed except for, perhaps, a very small one used to run the entertainment equipment when not plugged in or while dry camping.

There is no need to run an INVerter if not needed to produce 120V for some specific purpose. A normal RV fridge uses 12V (batteries) + propane if not plugged into 120V, as does the water heater, thus no need for an inverter.

Alfa38User said:
Perhaps there is a bit of confusion in terminology here.

An INVerter creates 120V A/C from 12V DC (your batteries). A CONverter uses 120V and supplies 12V DC to charge the batteries and help run the 12V side of your RV when plugged in. If you do not have a household type of refrigerator, it is not likely you have or need an INVerter even installed except for, perhaps, a very small one used to run the entertainment equipment when not plugged in or while dry camping.

There is no need to run an INVerter if not needed to produce 120V for some specific purpose. A normal RV fridge uses 12V (batteries) + propane if not plugged into 120V, as does the water heater, thus no need for an inverter.

Agreed.

We don't Dry-Camp much. I installed a 1200 watt INverter in our old 5r.. used it maybe 3-4 times in the 12 years we had it.

From our Tenting dayz: we have a gas stove top.. drip coffee pot and toaster, as well as a 12v TV/DVD player. We just use those for the occasional, Overnight Dry-camp.

So, IMO, (?) there lies the need for an Inverter ? Dry Camping often (?), or parked for long periods, for the Summer/Winter: Yes, with a good bank of batteries. ( for Park Power outages & such)

Mostly at least W&E for an over-nighter, or a week or two (?) : Maybe Not ?

Decisions.. Decisions.  ;) :)

Alfa38User said:

We run our inverter ALL THE TIME regardless of whether or not it is needed at any particular moment.  That way if there are any power issues our 120V needs are largely met by the inverter; we hardly ever know if there is a power blip.

There's no harm in running an inverter all the time; the losses in modern inverters are so small as to not be a big deal, especially if you are plugged in to shore power and aren't paying for electricity anyway.

docj said:
We run our inverter ALL THE TIME regardless of whether or not it is needed at any particular moment.  That way if there are any power issues our 120V needs are largely met by the inverter; we hardly ever know if there is a power blip.

There's no harm in running an inverter all the time; the losses in modern inverters are so small as to not be a big deal, especially if you are plugged in to shore power and aren't paying for electricity anyway.

I guess you lost me on that one.

IF your hooked to shore power WHY would you have the inverter on?  IS there a benefit to having it on when shore power is present?
The inverter changes 12volt to 120volt AC  so if you have 120volt AC coming from shore power too, then would you be using the inverter
to receive power or the shore power to receive power at the outlets?

Not all inverters power all or even a number of outlets. Some of the larger ones may but they also have an ATS (automatic transfer switch) built in so they are not powering the outlets when shore power is functioning. The inverter is simply 'idling' when its ATS is active and shore power is being used and he is saying that any additional cost to do so is negligible.  He is just expressing his preference for running his, it does not mean he is powering from 2 sources at the same time.

Some RV's only have a large capacity inverter, no converter is needed as the inverter has the battery charger function built in as well and that portion functions only while plugged in. The built-in ATS takes care of the power source, either campground 120V, the generator, or the battery source, switching as needed.

RedandSilver said:
I guess you lost me on that one.

IF your hooked to shore power WHY would you have the inverter on?  IS there a benefit to having it on when shore power is present?
The inverter changes 12volt to 120volt AC  so if you have 120volt AC coming from shore power too, then would you be using the inverter
to receive power or the shore power to receive power at the outlets?

Yes, when we are hooked to shore power an internal relay in the inverter causes it to be bypassed.  So there is no benefit to having it on, but there is also no real downside.  The losses in the inverter, as I recall, are ~35 watts which isn't enough electricity to get upset about.  The benefits accrue when there are momentary or sustained power glitches and outages which occur from time to time.  When those happen, nothing happens at least for the >80% of our outlets that are served by the inverter.

Back
Top Bottom