EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Stabilizer jack cranking  (Read 760 times)

FREDLY

• ---
Stabilizer jack cranking
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:02:58 PM »
I will be renting a Gulfstream Vista Cruiser in the next couple weeks and want to insure that I can operate the jacks with my battery operated drill. Can any one tell me the size socket I will need?

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Stabilizer jack cranking
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
I would just use the wrench supplied by the rental company for that RV. I believe, socket size may vary depending which brand jack it has.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »
Most use a 3/4" socket.

FREDLY

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
Thank you.

Ale_Brewer

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 02:30:34 AM »
What kind of drill do you have? I use a battery operated "impact" driver instead of the actual drill and it works great. Mine use a 3/4" socket.
Curtis & Melissa
2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
2016 Solaire 247RKES GT3
Equal-I-Zer 10k

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:33 AM »
I'm kinda stumped as to why folks use an impact or impact setting on a cordless drill when running their stabilizers up and down. I used two different Milwaukee drills in normal mode on three different trailers and had no problems. If your drill won't move the stabilizers in normal drill mode, you either need a better drill or need to lube your stabilizers. It's pretty annoying listening to folks impacting their stabilizers for no real reason. I can't see where the beating of the impact is doing your stabilizers any good either.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:27:43 AM »
The majority are 3/4" and RV-style ones are available at camping places, Amazon, etc.  I paid a few bucks for mine on Amazon and it's nice to have, the socket + a short extender permanently attached for drill use.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
I use something similar to this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-hex-to-square-socket-adapters/p-00926352000P

I have several of each size, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I find them a lot handier than a dedicated socket and extension as above.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Ale_Brewer

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »
I'm kinda stumped as to why folks use an impact or impact setting on a cordless drill when running their stabilizers up and down. I used two different Milwaukee drills in normal mode on three different trailers and had no problems. If your drill won't move the stabilizers in normal drill mode, you either need a better drill or need to lube your stabilizers. It's pretty annoying listening to folks impacting their stabilizers for no real reason. I can't see where the beating of the impact is doing your stabilizers any good either.

The impact driver isn't for more power. It's for saving your wrist. Also you can have the equivalent power from a small impact driver vs. a larger drill. I carry a tool bag everywhere I go and I have a DeWalt 20V lithium ion impact driver in the bag so it's what I use. The drill stays at home and it only gets used to drill holes. Break your wrist once with a power drill and you'll change your opinion.
Curtis & Melissa
2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
2016 Solaire 247RKES GT3
Equal-I-Zer 10k

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:59:15 AM »
As I said before, if your stabilizers are that hard to turn, you need to do some maintenance on them. I've used drills on the farm since I was 7 years old and was taught how to use one correctly. I still don't see the the need to impact something that is designed to to turned with a hand crank. Some folks just don't care about making noise and disturbing other people. When camping, some noise is inevitable, but there's no need to make a bunch of noise when there's a quieter way right at your fingertips.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Ale_Brewer

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
My jacks are not hard to turn. Everyone has their preferences.
Curtis & Melissa
2013 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
2016 Solaire 247RKES GT3
Equal-I-Zer 10k

Hosted by Over The Network