Stabilizer jack cranking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FREDLY

I will be renting a Gulfstream Vista Cruiser in the next couple weeks and want to insure that I can operate the jacks with my battery operated drill. Can any one tell me the size socket I will need?

I would just use the wrench supplied by the rental company for that RV. I believe, socket size may vary depending which brand jack it has.

What kind of drill do you have? I use a battery operated "impact" driver instead of the actual drill and it works great. Mine use a 3/4" socket.

I'm kinda stumped as to why folks use an impact or impact setting on a cordless drill when running their stabilizers up and down. I used two different Milwaukee drills in normal mode on three different trailers and had no problems. If your drill won't move the stabilizers in normal drill mode, you either need a better drill or need to lube your stabilizers. It's pretty annoying listening to folks impacting their stabilizers for no real reason. I can't see where the beating of the impact is doing your stabilizers any good either.

The majority are 3/4" and RV-style ones are available at camping places, Amazon, etc.  I paid a few bucks for mine on Amazon and it's nice to have, the socket + a short extender permanently attached for drill use.

I use something similar to this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-hex-to-square-socket-adapters/p-00926352000P

I have several of each size, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I find them a lot handier than a dedicated socket and extension as above.

kdbgoat said:
I'm kinda stumped as to why folks use an impact or impact setting on a cordless drill when running their stabilizers up and down. I used two different Milwaukee drills in normal mode on three different trailers and had no problems. If your drill won't move the stabilizers in normal drill mode, you either need a better drill or need to lube your stabilizers. It's pretty annoying listening to folks impacting their stabilizers for no real reason. I can't see where the beating of the impact is doing your stabilizers any good either.

The impact driver isn't for more power. It's for saving your wrist. Also you can have the equivalent power from a small impact driver vs. a larger drill. I carry a tool bag everywhere I go and I have a DeWalt 20V lithium ion impact driver in the bag so it's what I use. The drill stays at home and it only gets used to drill holes. Break your wrist once with a power drill and you'll change your opinion.

As I said before, if your stabilizers are that hard to turn, you need to do some maintenance on them. I've used drills on the farm since I was 7 years old and was taught how to use one correctly. I still don't see the the need to impact something that is designed to to turned with a hand crank. Some folks just don't care about making noise and disturbing other people. When camping, some noise is inevitable, but there's no need to make a bunch of noise when there's a quieter way right at your fingertips.

Ale_Brewer said:
The impact driver isn't for more power. It's for saving your wrist. Also you can have the equivalent power from a small impact driver vs. a larger drill. I carry a tool bag everywhere I go and I have a DeWalt 20V lithium ion impact driver in the bag so it's what I use. The drill stays at home and it only gets used to drill holes. Break your wrist once with a power drill and you'll change your opinion.
Isn't that the 2nd reason that clutches were put on drills? The first, being to prevent stripping the fasteners. Both sound preferable when it comes to stabilizers.

Back
Top Bottom