Dying HP Laptop W7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

My heretofore well operating HP 17" Laptop with an after market solid state hard drive didn't wake up a couple of days ago. 

The screen remains black and the cap lock key led flashes as well as the num lock too.  They flash 2 times and then a pause and then repeat.

It it a basket case and should I consign it to the briney deep after removing the hard drive? 

It was used when I bought it from the original owner who was a little old lady who only drove it on Sundays. ;D

I had the hard drive changed in mid 2015.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Tom...

maybe this will help:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Blank-Screen-Caps-lock-Blink-Twice-Every-2-3-Seconds-with/td-p/3506811

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

If you can boot it up upgrade the Bios firmware.
Do you have backups, or do you need to get data from the drive?

It's also on worth calling Hp, even if it's out of warranty they can still help on the phone.

First: What do you use it for: If it has lots of stuff you use it for OTHER THAN WEB BROWSING AND PHOTO STORAGE.. Ignore this next paragraph.. But I have one computer that is ONLY used for browsing, Not even file storage.. So I "replaced" it (I was using a computer intented for other use) with a $150.00 HP Chrome book from Best Buy.

Well, this morning one of my other computers was waititing for me to pick it up from the shop.. So I headed to Brunswick, found technician was "out" so went to breakfast (NOTE: This was the plan anyway) Got to Denny's around 8:45 or so, about 11:45 I decided to check the battery status, I mean 3 hours on battery with no charger is a LONG time ,, Too long for this machine (Toshiba) ..  5.5 hours left on the Chromebook.

Does the web great... Have not yet figured out how to do much of anything else.

Has a 5GHz Wi-Fi adapter too  (Blazing bandwidth if the host (Denny's) can support it (That store DOES).

Now.. On to the rest

One "Trick" if your unit has a removable battery is to remove all power, AC adapter, And Battery.. Lean on the POWER button for like a minute.  Then restore battery and AC and try again.    The only guarantee I give you is "Money back" if it don't work your FREE is cheerfully refunded.. if it does. Same thing.

I have been using Chromebooks since they were beta four years ago. I rarely have to pull out my Windows machine since the Chromebook does almost everything. Everything gets stored in the cloud so you don't really need a hard drive. Processor speed is meaningless since the speed of the machine is dependant on the speed of the Internet connection. It boots up in 8 seconds. And my battery lasts all day. I charge it at night and never need to recharge it before I go to bed. They claim ten hours battery life and that seems about right to me. I paid $199 for this one. It is my fourth Chromebook as I like to replace my laptop on a yearly basis. When shopping the only meaningful specification is the screen size. Mine is 15.6 inches, perfect.

SeilerBird said:
I have been using Chromebooks since they were beta four years ago. I rarely have to pull out my Windows machine since the Chromebook does almost everything. Everything gets stored in the cloud so you don't really need a hard drive. Processor speed is meaningless since the speed of the machine is dependant on the speed of the Internet connection. It boots up in 8 seconds. And my battery lasts all day. I charge it at night and never need to recharge it before I go to bed. They claim ten hours battery life and that seems about right to me. I paid $199 for this one. It is my fourth Chromebook as I like to replace my laptop on a yearly basis. When shopping the only meaningful specification is the screen size. Mine is 15.6 inches, perfect.

Tom.  Can you use a different browser?  I hate Google browser.

HP is pretty good about having complete troubleshooting information.  Sometimes it's a PITA finding it though.  If you search for 'how to remove cmos battery from 'your model number'.  In the process you'll probably be removing the keyboard, memory, disk, etc 'cause the cmos battery is probably on the motherboard.

But before you do that try taking the main battery out, removing the power cord and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.  Put the battery back in, attach the power cord and try power on again.

Hope that works!

I have used Opera exclusively for about 11 years, I find it to be unobtrusive and it lets me alone with out having to try and anticipate my every thought or action or desire.  It's clean of crap other browsers seem to be loaded with and the few times I have been forced to use Chrome it just not at all what I was comfortable with. 

I have recently tried "BRAVE" and it is different but it is very good too.

Tom...

Tom Hoffman....Exactly what model do you own? 

I owned and operated a computer store for 10 years so don't chuck it out just yet.  Sounds like possibly you may need a new CMOS battery. Very common problem. 

Arch beat me too it.
Definitely try a new CMOS battery. They're about 5 bucks and are frequently the easy culprit to what appears to be a complex problem.

Arch Hoagland said:
Tom Hoffman....Exactly what model do you own? 

I owned and operated a computer store for 10 years so don't chuck it out just yet.  Sounds like possibly you may need a new CMOS battery. Very common problem.

I bought it used from a frie3nd and it turns out it is quite elderly 2011 it is a g7-1173dx

2011 is still young...Here is a video of how to change the CMOS battery..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWVBjPoER7o

After you change it you need to get into the BIOS and reset it to the defaults. 

You may run into a problem booting after that. You mentioned you had the hard drive upgraded to SSD (Solid State Drive) drive. Sometimes, not always, you need to change an IDE setting, otherwise the SSD drive won't work.

My thought is go back to the people who upgraded you to the solid state drive and have them replace the CMOS battery.

Thanks Arch,  I would but the tech who did the HARd DRIVE SWITCH is in Iowa and we are in Tucson en route to Yuma for the rest ot the winter,  I will take it back to him and see if he can save it.  In the interim looks like I will be shopping for a new one of some sort once we reach Yuma,  Dear SWAMBO want her's back. 

Tom...

I found a video of a guy fixing an HP laptop with what appears to be your problem.  He counts the number of times the caps lock light blinks and says 2 blinks mean the machine has a corrupted BIOS.  He then lists out a number of ways to try to fix a corrupted BIOS, tries something, and seems very surprised that the machine starts working!  My take on this is that your machine should be repairable, especially if your computer guy knows that the blinking caps lock and num lock keys are the way that the computer reports what the problem is.  Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUCiYG6ztc0

Tom Hoffman said:
Tom.  Can you use a different browser?  I hate Google browser.

Where as the fact I like Chrome was one of the considerations in my purchase (What is it they say "Different strokes for different folks" or Choice is good)

I have not TRIED alternative browsers but I have seen Firefox, for example, in the Web Store for Chrome... There are some differences I do not like,, But overall it's doing what *I* want for *ME*. 

Long ago (mid 1080's) someone ask "What is the best computer" on a BBS system I used. The system was run by a photographer who was big in to Drugs and booze (Eli-Lilly agricultural division and Jim Beam were his two biggest clients)

My response got his "Best" award... To greatly shorten the post... I stated "It is the computer you are reading this on".  I can explain it if you like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevieg0205
Back
Top Bottom