Big Bend Tx.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Windybill

Looking for info on Big Bend, we plan on going there around the middle of February for about 4 days. Will be in our 35ft MH, no toad. One place that looks great is the Chisos Basin, however the website says there is a 24ft max length. So the first question is, would I be prohibited from traveling on the road or is that just a strong suggestion not to. I have looked at a youtube video a fellow put up of his drive, didn't look like a big deal but I know video can be deceiving. Second, if I can get in there, are there sites in the campground that would work. I may call and ask, but that may not go well. Any info on any of the other roads would be very helpful.  Thanks Much.

We are interested in this post as well. I have heard there are some curves in campground...

Lots to see.  As long as you like desert, you'll have a good trip.  Feb is an excellent time to go.  Just be sure and miss Spring Break in March, when its always running full of people. An internet search will give you lots of info on the area.

There is one full service RV park inside the park at Rio Grande Village which is located in the SE portion of the park.  There is also a campground with water and restrooms only next door.  The Cottonwood campground located in the sw portion of the park does not allow generators, so its pretty much restricted to very short battery only or tent stays.  There are also several RV parks at Study Butte, Terlingua and Lahitas out the west entrance.    We generally move around and stay at several different places during our stay and don't have a favorite where we always stay.  The road up to the Chisos Basin in the middle of the park restricts vehicle length to 24 ft. due to the tight switchbacks on the road going in, so the campground there is restricted to tents and small vehicles.

There are also campgrounds in Alpine and Marathon to the North.  We sometimes spend a few nights at the Stillwell Store, located 6 miles SE of hwy 385 on FM2627 south of Marathon.  Go to the Hallie Stillwell Museum if you go there.

A trip across the river to Visit Boquillas, MX is really neat.  Bring your passport.  There is a legal crossing near Rio Grande Village where you use a Kiosk at the Port of Entry, ride a flat bottom boat across the Rio Grande and then ride a burrow into town for lunch.  Do an internet search and you can find all about it.  Lots to see all over the park.  Good back country gravel roads, some 4X4 only if you like that sort of thing.

We have been going to Big Bend for a couple weeks at least once a year for decades and always enjoy it. 

We live in SW New Mexico, love the desert. Are the campgrounds this time of year?

I suppose driving up is theoretically possible but do you really want to? I suspect you'd need both lanes at some hairpins and what if there is another largish vehicle on the other side. Then when you get there - good point about the campground, maybe take a look at reserveamerica and see what they show for site length.

That time of year Rio Grande campground should be great weatherwise (barring some strong winds), lots of maneuver room, long sites.

I would not drive an RV on the Chisos Basin road that is 11 feet over the stated allowed length.  Those tight curves are way too much for that length.

ArdraF

Windybill said:
Looking for info on Big Bend, we plan on going there around the middle of February for about 4 days. Will be in our 35ft MH, no toad. One place that looks great is the Chisos Basin, however the website says there is a 24ft max length. So the first question is, would I be prohibited from traveling on the road or is that just a strong suggestion not to. I have looked at a youtube video a fellow put up of his drive, didn't look like a big deal but I know video can be deceiving. Second, if I can get in there, are there sites in the campground that would work. I may call and ask, but that may not go well. Any info on any of the other roads would be very helpful.  Thanks Much.
The biggest problem is the campsites in the Basin are short and very un-level.  We just left Big Bend and did stay in the Basin with our 29' MH.  My wife is handicapped so we were able to stay in the handicapped site, which would be big enough for your 35' MH.  For us to level I did have my front tires off of the ground.  Drivers side about 3" and passenger side about 1.5" off the ground. 

The road is very steep and the turns are tight. 

The park does allow 40'-45' passenger buses to drive into the basin.  The road is marked NOT RECOMMENDED,  but not prohibited for trailers over 20' and MH's over 24'. 

The NP CG, (dry camping) at RGV (Rio Grande Village) is a far better choice for a 35' MH.

If you feel you MUST stay in the Basin with your 35' MH, drive your toad up and see if there is a campsite which will work for you. 

Also it's several degrees cooler in the basin than on the desert floor. That could still be an issue in mid Feb. I've seen some snow up there in late January many years ago.
Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom